PDA

View Full Version : Blown Tweeters: What to do?

SystemAddict
10-16-2000, 05:42 AM
Hey. I blew my Infinity Kappa Tweeters after less than 1 day of playing time, off of a Rockford Fosgate Punch 240.4 (45 watts RMS x 4). I can't figure out why, and the mid-bass Kappas run fine. My question is this: Why would this occur? I had it wired correctly to the crossovers. Should I get higher quality tweeters, even though there aren't many? thanks for the response.

MIKEYB
10-16-2000, 05:49 AM
my friend had some JL components and he blew the tweets in like 2 days, being who he is he went out and bought some optima(radio shack) tweets and they did fine untill he sold his car. go figue? what I would do is not buy a more expensive tweeter but buy a different brand and see how they do.

AudioMaster
10-16-2000, 02:40 PM
What I would do is get your infinities replaced on warranty. Then I would make sure I'm not clipping. Then if all else fails I would strap a resistor in line with the positive.

~AM

klatt1
10-16-2000, 02:52 PM
Actually I have heard nothing but good about the Radio Shack tweeters. Sounds funny, but alot of people say they are great tweeters!

sparks_219
10-16-2000, 04:15 PM
My friend blew my MB Quart tweeters and I just went out to bought some cheap lanzer tweeters ($50 Cdn). THey're silk dome and I like the sound better than the MB Quarts http://www.caraudioforum.com/smile.gif

shootme5150
10-16-2000, 04:40 PM
If you popped them in a day, you were clipping them. Tweets seem to be the easiest speakers to blow. I would recommend replacing those tweets and buy a level setting disc such as the AS2000 disc #104. VERY helpful.