PDA

View Full Version : a BIG problem (remote wire)

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 05:18 PM
hey folks. I have been having a problem with my amplifier and cd player. Both of them stay on, even when i shut off my vehicle. This sucks bad. I took out my head unit, and my remote wire was connected correctly to my ignition wire. What the hell could be the problem? Could it just be bad remote wire, and i need to replace it? I need your professional help without having to pay someone out the *** to fix it. thanks in advance....

p.s. im currently running an MTX 421D mono amp it that matters at all.

placenta
01-16-2004, 05:29 PM
i think you just have your wires all mixed up.

did you use a custom harness adapter for this install?

Your deck staying on is nothing to do with your remote wire. fix your deck first.

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 05:34 PM
my remote wire is wrapped around the red wire (ignition, switch). I bought the wiring harness at Circuit City....So it may be custom....not sure......

placenta
01-16-2004, 05:42 PM
again. your remote wire has nothing to do with your deck not powering off. Wait a min...... do you have your remote wire for your amp coming from your decks blue wire, or from a totally different source like your ignition switch, unrelated to your deck?

You have to find out why your deck stays on bottom line.

Your deck only has 3 wires affecting that. 12V constant (yellow), 12V with ignition only (red), and black to a ground near deck.

My guess is you have a constant 12V on both the wires, so its always on. Is it still on this second as we speak??

zabooza
01-16-2004, 05:45 PM
remote wire only goes to your amps. red/orange/yellow wires are power wires.

twiggums
01-16-2004, 05:52 PM
so you have your remote hoooked up to a 12v source? you dont need to apply any voltage to your remote wire, it is meant to apply voltage to your amps remote. so in simple terms you only want your blue remote wire hoooked up to your amps remotes, no others.

placenta
01-16-2004, 05:55 PM
i dont think he has it hooked up that way.. i mean... who could get that mixed up?

if so, his amp wouldnt even be on... cuz it wouldnt have a remote wire.

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
i was just told recently to switch my power wires. I need to switch the pink OR yellow wire and the red one. Does that sound right? But, the red wire is my ignition wire......I think i may kill myself tommorow.

placenta
01-16-2004, 05:59 PM
yes, that can be right.

reverse your yellow and your red wires on your deck. RED is not 12V constant as some people think. YELLOW is.

before you do anything you better tell us about your remote wire. Its almost at the point where you better take it in and have a professional do it. You dont wanna risk blowing your deck messing with all these wires in the wrong places.

Higgles
01-16-2004, 06:02 PM
i just remove the faceplate to turn mine off...

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 06:03 PM
i love these instant replies. :) If switch the red and yellow wires, will i still go ahead and tape the remote wire to the red one again? There isnt really much to tell about my remote wire. All i have it doing is running from the ignition wire from behind my deck to the amplifier.

sr20dem0n
01-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by defhalotones
i was just told recently to switch my power wires. I need to switch the pink OR yellow wire and the red one. Does that sound right? But, the red wire is my ignition wire......I think i may kill myself tommorow.

no that can't be right
You have your red and yellow wires, yellow is supposed to go to permanent 12V and red is supposed to go to switched 12V. If you had these backwards, EVERYTHING would still function normally (cd player would turn off with the key), but every time you turned off the key your cd player would lose all it's memory. If your cd player never turns off then your problem lies elsewhere.

placenta
01-16-2004, 06:14 PM
so i think we have confirmed you are NOT using your decks build in remote wire option. You chose to find an amp remote wire from an alternate location.

sr20dem0n
01-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by placenta
so i think we have confirmed you are NOT using your decks build in remote wire option. You chose to find an amp remote wire from an alternate location.

I guess the amp's remote and the deck's switched power are both coming from this red wire. I have a feeling something may be screwed up with the car's wiring so both the yellow and the red wires are permanent 12V leads. Do you have a DMM to test this?

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 06:19 PM
I've tried removing the yellow and red wire from the headunit, and they wont fu.cking come off. How do i rip the wire out?

PokerPrince
01-16-2004, 06:20 PM
tape the remote wire? :eek: you're using some sort of connectors for all of this right? not just electical tape or something?

The amp's remote wire should be connected to a blue wire coming out of your deck, not a red or yellow wire, if your amp was working earlier, it should have already been connected properly

Is it possible that he could have had the HU connected to the constant 12V and the amp's remote wire connected to the red key-on 12V wire?

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 06:20 PM
i dont have any thing to test this shi.t. Nope, nadda, ziltch.

PokerPrince
01-16-2004, 06:22 PM
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16936494&St=2437&St2=56179479&St3=82063705&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=117968&DID=7

your new best friend

sr20dem0n
01-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I think you should start from the beginning, exactly what is attached to what?

From what I've gathered, the yellow wire is attached to the permanent 12V power for the deck, the red wire is split to both the amp's remote wire and the switched 12V power for the deck, and nothing is attached to the blue remote wire coming out of the deck?

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 06:25 PM
the blue wire coming out of the deck isnt attached to anything. I originally had the remote wire connected to the red wire. Thats how circuit city did it. Ya know, i used to have the 1000 watt mono Kenwood amp and i never had problems with this ****. It all of a sudden started happening with my MTX amp

zabooza
01-16-2004, 06:26 PM
"This is a ****."

PokerPrince
01-16-2004, 06:27 PM
good ole circuit city... yeah, the blue wire from your deck is definitely supposed to be connected to your amp's remote wire

defhalotones
01-16-2004, 06:28 PM
well, i give up with this ****. Ill try everything you guys told me tommorow (if i can succesfully rip the wires out). If i cant get it workin tommorow, ill just get it proffesionally done. Any guesses on how much that'll run? goodnight folks.

PokerPrince
01-16-2004, 06:37 PM
no need to rip wires out... if you don't want to spend much $$$, go to checker or auto zone, get some cheap wire strippers/crimpers like these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16936494&St=2437&St2=56179479&St3=82063705&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=10381&DID=7 , cut the wires from each other and then reconnect them in the correct places with these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=16936494&St=2437&St2=56179479&St3=82063705&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=2710&DID=7

strip the wires, put them in each end, clamp down with your new tool and give it hell

this should work

twiggums
01-17-2004, 06:07 AM
not sure if this will help , but it sounds like it will, theresa lotta usfel documents here http://installdr.com/

Fryguy
01-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Step 1.
-Disconnect negative terminal of battery

step 2.
-Pull out cd player. Unplug aftermarket harness. Cut all wires between cd player and aftermarket harness.

step 3.
-Connect the cd player red wire to a switched power source, connect the yellow wire to a constant power source. Both of these should be on the harness. Connect black to a ground. Connect blue to the remote turn on for your amp. Connect speaker wires as appropriate.

If ^^ doesn't work, then you are an idiot and shouldn't be installing.

JohnnyD
01-17-2004, 07:20 AM
Man ... If Circuit City installed it, Why dont you take it on back and ask them why they didn't put it in right in the first place ....

It almost sounds like to me that when you switched your amp, you got the main power wire touching the remote lead on that amp ....

that would cause your amp to stay on and it would feed power back to the deck making it "all of a sudden" start staying on

placenta
01-17-2004, 07:21 AM
i wouldnt exactly use those terms, but he has a point. If this is too confusing, seriously, then you should have someone do it that knows a bit more. I shorted out my Alpine deck a few months ago, and it wasnt too cool. But that was a stupid mistake on my part. Just be careful.

placenta
01-17-2004, 07:21 AM
It almost sounds like to me that when you switched your amp, you got the main power wire touching the remote lead on that amp ....

that would cause your amp to stay on and it would feed power back to the deck making it "all of a sudden" start staying on

Now that is a good synopsis...