PDA

View Full Version : Magnet size/surround material make a difference?

BIGkahuna711
10-14-2000, 04:07 AM
Does it really matter what weight the magnet is or what the surround is mafe of? I want to get 2 12's and dont know what would be better. Here are the two sub specs from the two what would be better? They are both audiobahn I want good loud low bass with little distortion.
AW1200
12" High Excursion Woofer 120 oz Double Stacked Strontium Magnets / Power Handling: 700w RMS / Freq Response: 20Hz-500Hz / Efficiency: 92.7 dB / PHAT 2" Foam Surround / Non- pressed, Non-Transfer Paper Cone / KM3 Coated for Virtually no Cone Distortion / 3" 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil / Dual 4 ohm / 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation.

AWP212
12" Compression Piston Subwoofer: 45 oz. Strontium Magnet / Power Handling: 450w RMS / Frequency Response: 20Hz-500Hz / Efficiency: 94 dB / PHAT 1.75" EPDM Rubber Surround / Glass Fiber, Honeycomb compression Platform / 2" 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil / Dual 4 ohm / 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation

Mr Snuff
10-14-2000, 04:29 AM
generally the larger the magnet, the less efficient the sub is. just look at all the subs that are rated at 100-200watts rms with the smaller magnets compared to the ones rated at 500+ with the hugeass magnets.

as for the surround, that's a widely debated subject. there really isn't a superior material, each has it's own advantages/disadvantages.

either way you really shouldn't be looking at magnet size and surround material when shopping for a sub, as these aren't really accurate ways of telling how good a sub will sound and perform.

Mr_Zogg
10-14-2000, 12:15 PM
magnet size is definately over-rated...
my JL112W0 has a pretty small magnet, but it plays alot louder than subs in the same price range with huge *** magnets

another thing that is over-rated IMO is the unneccessary use of wide surrounds...dont buy a sub just coz its got a huge surround and a huge magent...listen to anything before you buy it

Doob
10-14-2000, 02:08 PM
I agree with Mr_Zogg. Wide surround equals less cone area. I don't feel that the extra excursion these designs offer offsets the amount of cone area that they displace.

Mr. Ivan
10-14-2000, 07:25 PM
and what about the surround material???
in my opinoin rubber surround is not that superior to the foam surround. some people say that the only disavantage of the foam to rubber is that can deteriorate with sunlight.
and performance??? no diference...

newguy
10-15-2000, 05:11 AM
First of all, Magnet size CAN mean alot, only because it is (usually) directly related to BL and BL IS important. Second, the WIDED surrounds really don't offer any extra excusion. Take a look at the current DD surround, they are limited to 3.5 inches of throw, and the are NOT that wide. The HUGE ones are just gimmicks....

Elite Ridez
01-13-2008, 03:06 AM
There is an advantage of Foam over rubber on surrounds. Rubber does not stretch equally from both directions, therefore on extreme excursion it has a tendency to shift the driver. Foam stretches MORE evenly which allows the driver to stay more linear peak to peak. Magnet size IS overrated in my opinion. Let's face it, subs generally do one thing right? They move in and out. In most cases the difference is how much power it's going to take to do it. After all, this is a money making industry. Think about it for a second... Without a 5000 watt subwoofer, how would anyone sell a 5000 watt amplifier? Making any sense?

antistock
01-13-2008, 03:08 AM
well, i'd add that magnet size coupled with the type of magnet would tell you more ten just the weight alone.

example: you'd need a fairly large "generic" magnet to have the power of a neodyminium

Elite Ridez
01-13-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm not aware of any subwoofers using neodymium magnets. I could be wrong, but if they do, I would imagine they are a pretty penny!

PuffDaddy_d
01-13-2008, 04:04 AM
There is an advantage of Foam over rubber on surrounds. Rubber does not stretch equally from both directions, therefore on extreme excursion it has a tendency to shift the driver. Foam stretches MORE evenly which allows the driver to stay more linear peak to peak. Magnet size IS overrated in my opinion. Let's face it, subs generally do one thing right? They move in and out. In most cases the difference is how much power it's going to take to do it. After all, this is a money making industry. Think about it for a second... Without a 5000 watt subwoofer, how would anyone sell a 5000 watt amplifier? Making any sense?
Why the heck are you bringing up this 7 year old thread. :confused: 8\ This doesn't contribute anything for the original poster.

Elite Ridez
01-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Because it is a good question. There are alot of things I don't know, and I don't post them all as questions, but if by chance I see a thread that addresses something that I would like to know, I read it. Maybe someone may do the same. You obviously read it!

PuffDaddy_d
01-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Because it is a good question. There are alot of things I don't know, and I don't post them all as questions, but if by chance I see a thread that addresses something that I would like to know, I read it. Maybe someone may do the same. You obviously read it!
LOL - actually, I didn't read it. My eye was instantly drawn to the post date for this thread and scrolled down to see who would bring up such an old topic. You've been busy on here tonight, haven't you? :p

Elite Ridez
01-13-2008, 04:24 AM
Trying to stay ahead of you.... as it seems all you are worried about is getting in the last word! Hell... you're not even reading the posts! Just checking dates and making sure you have the last word....

negative_camber
01-13-2008, 04:37 AM
I've got the last word.

[/thread]

standard235
01-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Yo PuffDaddy, at least he searched.

This is a big problem on forums. If you bring up an old, dead thread, you get flamed. If you start a thread where the question was mentioned, even if not answered, in a 7 year old thread, you get flamed.

Ugh, calm down. Answer his question. if you have no opinion on the matter or an answer to the question, don't post. I am merely posting to set you straight. :D

girlsrock
01-13-2008, 02:52 PM
now your crying because someone is using the search :rolleyes:

PuffDaddy_d
01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
now your crying because someone is using the search :rolleyes:
Yup - that's exactly it...

Nothing good will come from debating with you, just re-read post #10

girlsrock
01-13-2008, 04:41 PM
what does the age have to do with it. that was not relevent to my point. Someone used the search feature and you complained. you are a hippocrate and i will not take anything you say seriously from this point on

Waco
01-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Magnet size IS overrated in my opinion. Let's face it, subs generally do one thing right? They move in and out. In most cases the difference is how much power it's going to take to do it. After all, this is a money making industry. Think about it for a second... Without a 5000 watt subwoofer, how would anyone sell a 5000 watt amplifier? Making any sense?
Magnet size is almost directly proportional to BL, which is almost directly proportional to how loud something can get in a ported/bandpass box when you have the power to drive it.

girlsrock
01-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Magnet size is almost directly proportional to BL, which is almost directly proportional to how loud something can get in a ported/bandpass box when you have the power to drive it.
You are right, but your defintion of BL is boy love, while are definition differs a little. I have no doubt you have the power to drive boy love.

girlsrock
01-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Why the heck are you bringing up this 7 year old thread. :confused: 8\ This doesn't contribute anything for the original poster. and then you say elsewhere "Oh, and in case you're wondering, I was able to find all those old threads that you wanted me to look up because I used this forum's search feature." a direct qoute.
Dude, you lost, just shut-up now, you do not want to debate me. :eek:

Djpac
01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Yo PuffDaddy, at least he searched.

This is a big problem on forums. If you bring up an old, dead thread, you get flamed. If you start a thread where the question was mentioned, even if not answered, in a 7 year old thread, you get flamed.

Ugh, calm down. Answer his question. if you have no opinion on the matter or an answer to the question, don't post. I am merely posting to set you straight. :D

thats because the thread was brought back with a statement to try and answer the OPs question... and the OP was here 7 years ago.... he is long gone. So there is no real reason to have bring this back, its not like you asked a question.... the person tried to respond to a 7 year old thread. that is useless. so that is why the flame.

PuffDaddy_d
01-13-2008, 05:17 PM
thats because the thread was brought back with a statement to try and answer the OPs question... and the OP was here 7 years ago.... he is long gone. So there is no real reason to have bring this back, its not like you asked a question.... the person tried to respond to a 7 year old thread. that is useless. so that is why the flame.
You are absolutely correct, but don't bother. It didn't take me long to realize that he/she doesn't conceede to logic based reasoning.

girlsrock
01-13-2008, 05:20 PM
be quiet please, you lost. man-up and face you lost to a girl

Waco
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
be quiet please, you lost. man-up and face you lost to a girl
You should really just stop posting.

mvw2
01-14-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm not aware of any subwoofers using neodymium magnets. I could be wrong, but if they do, I would imagine they are a pretty penny!

http://www.gigafiles.co.uk/files/1850/Sonicraft%20Bottom%20Motor.jpg
http://www.gigafiles.co.uk/files/1850/Sonicraft%20Bottom.jpg
http://www.gigafiles.co.uk/files/1850/Sonicraft%20Top.jpg
http://www.gigafiles.co.uk/files/1850/Sonicraft%20Side.jpg

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=428&osCsid=c6a0c9b6222fa9806b02fb79597da503

Neo motor and foam surround. It's also one of my favorite subwoofers that I've owned, but enclosure size is a bit large for car use versus some other options. Madisound had them on sale for some time at $130. I'm not certain if there will be more...or how soon.

kahooli
01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
girlsrock needs to be warned and/or banned. i've read 3 threads sofar this evening. every one polluted with bad info and rude, immature comments.

girlsrock
01-15-2008, 01:20 AM
coolio..get with the times i have been banned twice, but i do look great naked. plus lee lets me in to spice up this forum when it gets dead.

Dunkin'Soylent
01-15-2008, 02:04 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pontiacfieroguy
01-15-2008, 03:14 AM
girlsrock picks please just sent them to pontiac_fiero_guy@yahoo.com