PDA

View Full Version : help!! please read

5.0geo
09-30-2000, 07:06 PM
i know this is really unrelated..but please help anyway, thsi is the only way i know to get a response

my muffler in my 95 geo metro was rusting so i punched like 10 holes in it now my milage is way down so i was thinking of getting my friends rhino exhaust off his 97 cavalier, he'll pay for fitting and shyt..but how will the milage with this muffler be??? and the shape of his is the same as mine just like 4" longer, will this affect anything??

regal1975
09-30-2000, 07:09 PM
are you going to try and put the whole exhaust off of the cav?..i doubt if it will fit, since there are x-members, and other things that will cause problems. if you are just talking about swappuing mufflers, then it should be fine.I cant think of any reason that it wouldnt. as long as it fits..just be sure not to mess w/ the catalytic converter...

5.0geo
09-30-2000, 09:07 PM
yah man, just the muffler switch..nuthing more, hes paying for the proffessional fit and shyt, so its all good

im just wondering about the milage??

Quality-chaser
10-01-2000, 04:20 AM
I thought if you put holes in your muffler then the back pressure will decrease and that means more power ( less torque ) and that means your can will have better power output and thus use less fuel ... then it should get more mileage ..

It happen to my car that after I put bigger exhaust in .. and it can go further ..

5.0geo
10-01-2000, 06:03 PM
no man u got it backwards, u put the holes in theres less back preasure and it shoots gas out without burning it all

Cougar
11-26-2000, 11:32 AM
Hahahahaha

regal1975
11-26-2000, 11:46 AM
aww crap...cougar you are soo gay..just had to say that..who brings this thread back?

Bumpin_Cherokee
11-26-2000, 04:43 PM
Just because there are wholes in your muffler doesn't mean that gas will shoot out unless your engine just sucks, I have water coming out of my pipe on a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, so I asked my mechanic about it, and he said if I am running hot it is a head gasket, or my radiator is all jacked up, but ssince I am not, my muffler is most likely just rusted, and with hole in it, it most likely just gets rid of some of the factory limitations for emission rules, which in turn WILL make you use more gas, but you will have more power since the exhaust can emit more air/pollutants, and that is why my rigged borla (new) system isn't legal in all states, emission rules, later much http://www.caraudioforum.com/biggrin.gif

Mr_Zogg
11-26-2000, 07:19 PM
a car doesnt lose/gain back pressure from a few holes in the exhaust...
holes in the pipe affect the speed and the way in which the air travels thru the pipe..so if theres lots of holes in the pipe, the air inside the pipe is going to be very turbulent, and need more pressure to push it out = more force from the engine = less power and more fuel

there are a few reasons as to why you got better fuel economy off a bigger pipe...first, aftermarket pipes are designed better than stock ones...the bends are more gradual and smoother, allowing the air to flow more freely = less force = better fuel economy
second, a bigger pipe means less pressure inside the pipe = faster travel of gas = more power

as for the muffler fitting, yes it should be fine provided all the mounts fit correctly. milage will be a lot better than what you have atm

sorry bout all the = signs http://www.caraudioforum.com/biggrin.gif

shootme5150
11-26-2000, 08:51 PM
remember, though, that the same person that posted this thread had the name phatcivic. If you remember him, that'll explain some of the thinking - or lack thereof - behind doing something like that...

bass_engine
11-26-2000, 09:12 PM
He was such a tool...

Cougar
12-02-2000, 06:02 AM
sorry regal, I just had to bring it back cause it was so damn funny.

And you'd be surprised at what a difference in performance you get when you start messing around with the exhaust system. Soon as I got my converter replaced on mine the pick up increased like nothing else.