PDA

View Full Version : Good/Bad Cadence Amps

xb_guy
10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey guys. I was just wondering if there is any easy way to spot the good or bad amps from the Cadence TXA series. I've found someone selling one, but I'd like to be sure it's legit before forking over the cash.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/E4CH-HpsxBuRTiu0SF20wQ?feat=directlink

Thanks! thmbup

TheRepairMan
10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey guys. I was just wondering if there is any easy way to spot the good or bad amps from the Cadence TXA series. I've found someone selling one, but I'd like to be sure it's legit before forking over the cash.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/E4CH-HpsxBuRTiu0SF20wQ?feat=directlink

Thanks! thmbup

Which model number Cadence amp is that in the (poor) picture? And how much are they asking? You might be better off getting one from Cadence's ebay store or in their outlet store with a two year warranty.

TXA-3002 http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=125

Or this...

TXA-3004 http://www.woofersetc.com/p6098/TXA3004-Cadence-4-Channel-High-Power-600-Watt-Amplifier.htm

xb_guy
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Thanks RepairMan. It's a TXA-6004 which I thought would be a great single amp for a set of components and a sub (150x4 or 600x2 bridged). It's for sale @ $125 which is about half the woofersetc price. That made me a little wary, but then hearing about the bad ones made it worse. I'd love to save the $$$ (can get my system put together faster) but getting ripped off would suck!

They are being advertised as new in the box, with all paperwork etc. But since I think the bad ones "escaped" the factory, that doesn't mean much.

Jimi77
10-30-2009, 04:51 PM
PM Jason Paul he might be of help. The bad ones have smaller heat sink.

Kennyg
10-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I bought a short-heatsink one off ebay once. Just go thru JasonPaul, hell, he might evne have a better deal on an amp as nice or nicer. Shoot him a PM here.

SPL BRONCO II
10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I would contact Cadence direct before purchasing that ebay amp. Many of the faulty amps had been known to heat up really badly and some even caught on fire. If that is not one of the faulty ones i would grab it at that price.

TheRepairMan
10-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks RepairMan. It's a TXA-6004 which I thought would be a great single amp for a set of components and a sub (150x4 or 600x2 bridged). It's for sale @ $125 which is about half the woofersetc price. That made me a little wary, but then hearing about the bad ones made it worse. I'd love to save the $$$ (can get my system put together faster) but getting ripped off would suck!

They are being advertised as new in the box, with all paperwork etc. But since I think the bad ones "escaped" the factory, that doesn't mean much.

Did you click the woofersetc link in my post? They have the 3004 priced at $129. the only catch is that $20 freight.

Here is Jason's legit Cadence eBay store, "BEST*AUDIO*ELECTRONICS*DEALS" http://shop.ebay.com/best*audio*deals/m.html?_nkw=

...but I don't see the TXA-3004 or TXA-3002 available there any more. Like they said, you could PM him and ask rather than take a chance.

-R

sub-standard
10-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Did you click the woofersetc link in my post? They have the 3004 priced at $129. the only catch is that $20 freight.

Here is Jason's legit Cadence eBay store, "BEST*AUDIO*ELECTRONICS*DEALS" http://shop.ebay.com/best*audio*deals/m.html?_nkw=

...but I don't see the TXA-3004 or TXA-3002 available there any more. Like they said, you could PM him and ask rather than take a chance.

-R

But he is looking for the TXA-6004

xb_guy
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM

-R
I did check your links, thanks. But, I was looking at the 6004 not the 3004. Guess I could always use a pair of 3002s instead...

Thanks for the link to his ebay store. I'd been digging through it earlier, but didn't know it was his. I did PM Jason and ask; thanks!

drabina
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Short heatsink will not be longer than the removable covers on each side that hide mounting screws. If the heatsink sticks out a good inch from the covers that's the correct version. Still, you may be able to get good deal with warranty directly from Cadence so there is no need to shop used. I got my TXA-3004 from Cadence thru Ebay.

TheRepairMan
10-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I did check your links, thanks. But, I was looking at the 6004 not the 3004. Guess I could always use a pair of 3002s instead...

Thanks for the link to his ebay store. I'd been digging through it earlier, but didn't know it was his. I did PM Jason and ask; thanks!

Oh, the 6004, yeah, it's a bit pricy there. Two 3002's would work if you don't mind the space they take up. I think all the TXA's are rather large, but I'm really happy with mine.

Let us know what Jason says. I might even be in the market for another amp soon.

TheRepairMan
10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Short heatsink will not be longer than the removable covers on each side that hide mounting screws. If the heatsink sticks out a good inch from the covers that's the correct version. Still, you may be able to get good deal with warranty directly from Cadence so there is no need to shop used. I got my TXA-3004 from Cadence thru Ebay.

I think you got the last one. I had made a few offers on it before I grabbed a 3002.

JasonPaul
10-30-2009, 06:29 PM
That is the Cadence ebay store, I used to run the store and website along with a ton of other duties when I worked for Cadence.. I sent you a PM, the model in question is defective..

Kennyg
10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
That is the Cadence ebay store, I used to run the store and website along with a ton of other duties when I worked for Cadence.. I send you a PM, the model in question is defective..

Hooray for JasonPaul!!! Saving us from getting bamboozled on teh interwebz!!!

thmbup

xb_guy
10-30-2009, 06:52 PM
That is the Cadence ebay store, I used to run the store and website along with a ton of other duties when I worked for Cadence.. I send you a PM, the model in question is defective..

Just got the PM. Thanks for checking it out for me. Really, thanks to all of you for helping me out. thmbup

SPL BRONCO II
10-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I knew that price was just too low on that amp.

mak
10-30-2009, 07:35 PM
The one pictured has a smaller heatsink than my TXA-6004, which I got directly from Cadence.

I know JasonPaul already responded, I just thought I'd throw this information out there.

Just curious; If the heatsink was replaced with the larger version, would that effectively 'fix' the defect with these older versions? If so, is it possible to purchase one of these older versions and either buy the heatsink from Cadence or ship it in to them for the repair?

-mak

SPL BRONCO II
10-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I remember hearing of stolen TXA amps being sold on ebay a while back too. WTF...? :confused:

sandt38
10-30-2009, 07:54 PM
The short heat sink is on the same line as the black side covers. Just like this amp: http://www.lightav.com/car/cadence/TXA3004.jpg

If you look here ( http://www.mydiscountwholesaler.com/images/CADENCE%20TXA300.4%20600.jpg ), you will see the heat sink (the fins) extend about an inch to an inch and a half beyond the black covers.

The second image is the updated and quality amp, the first is the bad amp.

xb_guy
10-31-2009, 02:54 AM
The one pictured has a smaller heatsink than my TXA-6004, which I got directly from Cadence.

I know JasonPaul already responded, I just thought I'd throw this information out there.

Just curious; If the heatsink was replaced with the larger version, would that effectively 'fix' the defect with these older versions? If so, is it possible to purchase one of these older versions and either buy the heatsink from Cadence or ship it in to them for the repair?

-mak

From some of the things I read while trying to find out about the amp, there was more stuff changed than just the heatsink. And while you shouldn't quote me, Cadence won't repair/replace the bad amps as they were not supposed to be sold in the first place.

TheRepairMan
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
I remember hearing of stolen TXA amps being sold on ebay a while back too. WTF...? :confused:

Yep, I got mine for $90! Best offer.

thmbup

...from

"BEST*AUDIO*ELECTRONICS*DEALS" http://shop.ebay.com/best*audio*deals/m.html?_nkw=

I surely think it was a steal. LOL

sandt38
10-31-2009, 11:16 AM

-mak

Not terribly sure, but TBH I rarely hear of these failing with the big sink.

From some of the things I read while trying to find out about the amp, there was more stuff changed than just the heatsink. And while you shouldn't quote me, Cadence won't repair/replace the bad amps as they were not supposed to be sold in the first place.

Never heard that... Do you have a source for that? I'm not calling you a bull$hitter, as I am not sure how much the sink would have to do with the failures. I just would like to read more about it.

xb_guy
10-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Not terribly sure, but TBH I rarely hear of these failing with the big sink.

Never heard that... Do you have a source for that? I'm not calling you a bull$hitter, as I am not sure how much the sink would have to do with the failures. I just would like to read more about it.

Here is the post that I saw: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showpost.php?p=2296274&postcount=72 be sure you read the whole thread though, as there are several people who have gotten them and spoken with Cadence & JasonPaul about them.

Kennyg
10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Thats commonly know. They overheat and can catch fire.

sandt38
10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Thats commonly know. They overheat and can catch fire.

Fire? I have heard of permanent protect but never fire.

I will read through that thread as time permits. But a simple thermistor and sink issue appears to be all it was, according to the e-mail Jake sent out and Jason posted.

Kennyg
10-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Fire? I have heard of permanent protect but never fire.

I will read through that thread as time permits. But a simple thermistor and sink issue appears to be all it was, according to the e-mail Jake sent out and Jason posted.

True, but I've heard of a couple amps catching fire. Thermister issues, as in they never go into protect. They just overheat and burn up.

Jimi77
10-31-2009, 11:49 PM
That is the Cadence ebay store, I used to run the store and website along with a ton of other duties when I worked for Cadence.. I sent you a PM, the model in question is defective..

Good job Jason. I guess that explains why the amp is so cheap. thmbup

JasonPaul
11-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks, the models in question have a faulty thermistor and too small of a heatsink. The revised models have been updated with a slightly different circuit layout, larger heatsink, updated thermistor and better transistors as I recall. I only had one person tell me the amp caught on fire while working for Cadence, it is very possible if the thermistor fails it would never shut down.

sandt38
11-01-2009, 02:46 AM
Appreciate the insight as always, Jason. Why anyone would buy their Cadence anywhere other then your store is beyond me. Your CS and ability to work with others is also always appreciated.