PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of pioneer subs

94runner
06-22-2000, 11:32 PM
i want to get one of the new silver *'s and i was wondering if any of you have heard them, there aren't many pioneer dealers around her so i haven't been able to listen to one

nicho
06-22-2000, 11:50 PM
I heard the nickel plates and they blow.

Doob
06-22-2000, 11:55 PM
Pioneer subs? You can do better.

RoDDoG
06-23-2000, 01:19 AM
Ive heard the new pioneers. Getting pioneers is like a man and another man eloping together. I see that you dont want to spend a lot of money on subs so get MTX.

JDBoogie
06-23-2000, 03:50 AM
the pioneer subs are ok.. The premier subs kick ***. There are better subs on the market that cost the same or less (IDQ's)

dpatters@vicon.net
06-23-2000, 04:26 AM
Ive got two temporary PIoneer 15' subs in my car in custom made ported boxes.
I am very suprised in how they sound.
They are much louder than what i anticipated and hit fairly hard.
At full volume it is somewhat difficult to breathe and swallowing is impossible.
I say if you are looking for a cheap upgrade to your stereo system go with the new IMP silver PIoneer woofers....just my 2 cents

Litheon
06-23-2000, 06:44 AM
let me save you some money....i own 2 12" pioneers......they-are-peices-of-crap.....skip pioneer subs and save your money and buy somthing better like infinity perfects or kickers or some other higher end subs....
thats just if you want some subs that can handel more that 200 watts......

the pioneer premiers are hardly any better the the reg ones....mine have 160rms premier has 200....wow (not)....IGNORE THE MAX WATTS rating.....all i can say is....no they dont.

higher end subs like the perfect handel more then their rms ratings and still sound hella good!

what amp do you have? depending on the wattage it pumps out you my need only one high end sub...

this is my system before i upgraded...

2 12" pioneers.....160a2 fosgate punch... both subs were getting about 120 or 130 watts and damn they sounded like horse sh!t..

now i have an infinity pefect, yes just one...with 286 watts into it not including the power from my head unit. damn does it sound good!

killerslp
06-23-2000, 02:02 PM
I had 4 of the older pioneers, the ones with the black center with 400watt max on them. They were great for the money 50 dollars each for 12's. if you really don't want to spend money then I would recommend them, but if you have some money to spend I would agree with other people here you can do better.

PontiacGP
06-23-2000, 03:58 PM
I have 2 Pioneer 12's. the old black IMPP ones. i was running them in a bandpass and they sounded excellent. They were loud and sq was surprisingly good. I needed more spl so I put in my kicker 15's.

I would say the pioneer makes good entry level subs.

Litheon
06-23-2000, 06:04 PM
400w max....dont go by the max...go by the rms....you go over the rms on a pioneer they sound like sh!t

rockice123
12-14-2000, 03:31 AM
ok litheon the pioneer premier subs sound awsome if you have the proper setup, my friend has a ford explorer and has a single 12" premier DVC in a sweet *** custom box, the sub is ran off of a alpine V12 amp, the box has a fan in it and everything, dont go dissin premier just because your cheap line of pioneer didnt sound good! This sub is very very loud and pounds too. so what im saying is with the DVC if you have the extra money to get a nice custom box and a nice amplifier then it will sound better the a more expensive sub with a cheap box and amp.

OldOneEye
12-15-2000, 06:44 AM
Well, head over to sounddomain and look at the Ferraris, Bentley and Rolls Royce section that are in the install section. Of all the subs we could run in the car (freeair anyway), we picked the free air poineer. This is in up to $15k cars as well. Can't speak for the other stuff, but those Pioneer Freeairs work well for the money. Granted, if the guy is a basshead, we use kicker freeair of a Soundstream Mule (for the ferrari anyway), but they work nice and are a great deal (and we can charge more than MSRP).

Juan

adam728
12-15-2000, 06:56 AM
I think Pioneers are good for the money. Install them right and they work well. I have heard them ported, sealed, and bandpass. Sealed they are alright, not real loud, not really good sq. Ported they are louder, and I think sq actually improves a bit, the deeper bass hits harder. In bandpass these subs can get loud with even a measily 100rms going to them, and sq doesn't suffer very much.

Also, their freeair subs work great. My buddy's dad has two on his pontoon and I was shocked at how well they worked in the open design vehicle. They don't get to take advantage of transfer function or anytihng, and they still get pretty loud and sound good.

If you don't have a lot of watts or a lot of money (the 2 usually go together) then these are good subs. They may not be up to competition standards, but they get the job done for beginners.