PDA

View Full Version : 6 x 9's in a 92 Olds

benasmith
10-14-2000, 03:36 AM
Hey all...

I drive a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera that has its stock 3inch speakers in front an 6 x 9's in the back. If any of you know how these kind of cars have the 6 x 9's in the back setup, maybe you could answer my question. The 6 x 9's are mounted in the trunk up under the space between the back seat and the rear window, you know, the carpeted area -- would you call it the rear dash? They are in the trunk, with no box or anything, just mounted up against that part of the car, in what you would call an infinite baffle. Anyways, I am looking to replace them cuz they are blown, and because I am going to need some serious midbass as I am putting in 2 10" subs in a sealed box, and I know sealed boxes don't do so great on those higher bass notes. My question is, should I just get more 6 x 9's and mount them like the stock speakers were, or should I get little boxes for 6 x 9's and put those up on the rear dash? Can any 6 x 9's hold up when amped and playing in an infinite baffle like in the trunk? Could they ever actually be loud that way? Or would it be better to put them in a box to get good midbass response? Also, any suggestions of brand names and model #'s for using 6 x 9's for serious midbass? -- I don't need highs for this application, just good bass response in the 120+ hz range and mids.

[This message has been edited by benasmith (edited 10-13-2000).]

PointSource
10-14-2000, 04:32 AM
Yeah the rear deck. Eclipe Point Source model number 8993. Drive em with a 70 watt x 2 amp and watch out BBOOM.

benasmith
10-14-2000, 01:20 PM
Won't they end up dying faster, being in an infinite baffle? And they would sound good in an infinite baffle (as opposed to getting a box)?

Austin69me
10-14-2000, 03:22 PM
I have a 96 Grand Am, and that where my 6X9's are, Check into Boston Acoustics, RX97 or RM9, they will not only hold up but sound amazing, dont worry bout that baffle thing. And keep the 6X9's in stock locations

Cougar
10-14-2000, 06:40 PM
Actually for what it's worth the term for the "rear dash" is called the "packing shelf" I believe.

regal1975
10-14-2000, 07:24 PM
close cougar..its the "package tray"...and 6x9's are designed for infinite baffle....almost all car speakers xcept subs are designed for that. they will sound fine unless you have some insane 10's with incredible power going to them.....i had 2 10's in my trunk with the port aiming right at wy 4x10s and they sounded fine....also, i think you have 3.5" in the front....replace them too....boston makes some very nice ones for around 60 new...sounded great for me with a high pass x-over on them..sounded same with bass blockers too..

Exzhbit
10-14-2000, 08:04 PM
Did someone say OLDS??? Hey I got something that you might would want to buy. I have a set of Enkei polished aluminum rims that has been clearcoated so there is no need for polishing. Very shiny rim 16" X 6.5". They are in great condition, no scratches and I am selling the set of rims and 6 tires to go with it for $650 plus shipping. 5 lug what do you think.

Btw I have the Point Source in my 95 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL and they are great! Can you say midbass?

benasmith
10-15-2000, 03:50 AM
Thanks, but I'm not looking for wheels right now...I want good sound quality, but I am not looking to totally fix this car up. It has 111,000 miles and isn't worth putting a lot of money into. Maybe I'll do some great stuff when I get a new car...but that won't be until I graduate college--4 years from now. BTW, my brother has som Enkei rims on his '92 Ford Probe--it's lowered and has thin tires, leather interior, bandpass box with 2 10 inch subs that really kick, moonroof, and tint job. That's one sweet ride! He's going to get it supercharged later on, and get a nice paintjob--it's gonna be really nice.

benasmith
10-15-2000, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the answers. I think I will get Infinity 6x9's and amp them. Maybe I will check out Boston Acoustics...

regal1975
10-15-2000, 06:38 AM
how i managed to have an ise 10 hours after i posted the first time..i dont know...guess it jusr stayed that way when i suspended my pc...

[This message has been edited by regal1975 (edited 10-15-2000).]