PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Nails and Sealed Enclosure...

thvuug
07-08-2001, 05:27 AM
Wazup!

Ok, started to put together my enclosure. First, I only completed the back panel of the enclosure to see how this stuff works. When the Liquid nails cured, I noticed lots of air pockets. My question is about the air pockets... are they common and do they deprive the enclosure of its full potential.

thanks

Exo_Alpine
07-08-2001, 06:15 AM
Air pockets can be deadly in a sealed box, because u dont know if any are connected leading to a leak in your box... the best way to get rid of them, is when u apply ur glue, rub the 2 surfaces togeather so thers no air in it, then just plaster it on in the cornor of the wood when it dries. Dip your finger in water an run it along the joint so its a smoother air free layer, you shouldt be using the glue for strenght (thats whut drywall screws every 3 inches are for) but rather to seal out the air... Im using Silicon caulk on mine because it flexes, is airtight and wont degrade.

thvuug
07-08-2001, 06:59 AM
What is the difference between Silicon caulk and Liquid Nails or is that different terms for the same product?

Should I Apply seals to the exterior of the box?

Exo_Alpine
07-08-2001, 07:06 AM
Liquid Nails (from my understanding) is like wood glue? it dry's hard, an that means when ur box is flexing an booming, it'll crack, silicon caulk is rubbery (think of Brittany spears tits) it flexes an moves with every vibe an thump, that means a constant bond that wont degrade an give u a long lasting box... You shouldnt have to apply it to the outer seals of your box if u made it well, but if you kina botched it, an have sum gaps, fill in the gaps witht he caulk an ull be fine, as long as its air tight on the inside u dont have to worry about the outside. I've been making my box for my 12" enclousure, and im going far beyond the call of duty for it, but i expect the best sound out of my cone... it has a brace every 6 inches, (ill have picutres when there developed) 1 5/8th " drywall screws every 2 inches along each joint, an caulk on the inside, your driver is only as good as ur box.

craftomatic
07-08-2001, 04:41 PM
If you build your box properly and brace it, then how would it bend or flex? Liquid Nails is awesome stuff! Silicone when still wet will
degrade the glue and epoxies used on some subs (the fumes of the silicone that is). I used liquid nails on mine and you couldn't ask for a tighter, airtight seal!

Wipe0ut
07-08-2001, 04:53 PM
How about silicone with elmers glue over it? Then no fumes :)

JohanBest
07-08-2001, 05:15 PM
You mean Elmer's Glue has a use besides pouring it on your hands then pealing it off? :p

Mr. Bentwrench
07-08-2001, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Exo_Alpine
you shouldt be using the glue for strenght (thats whut drywall screws every 3 inches are for) but rather to seal out the air...

Wrong. A properly glued butt joint will be stronger than the wood itself.

dipitydoo1
07-08-2001, 09:56 PM
I use Liquid Nails, and have had zero problems. It does not crack, and it sticks like there's no tomorrow, and its cheap, though a little messy as well. Small air leaks will have no audible affects, so I wouldn't be concerned about "bubbles".

curls
07-08-2001, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Bentwrench

Wrong. A properly glued butt joint will be stronger than the wood itself.

10-4. Wood glue, when fully cured, will be stronger than the joint itself. If you were to hammer on a joint, the wood around the joint would break LONG before the glued portion would.

Screws are basically there for clamping and a TAD of strength.
Liquid Nails = super strong wood glue.

~Eric

Regal1975
07-08-2001, 11:07 PM
yeah liquid nails is good stuff....it will not crack, though ive never had any bubbles in mine... you may have a hole in the tube somewhere...sounds funny....also, construction adhesive works well too and can be cheaper than the name brand liquid nails

dipitydoo1
07-08-2001, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by curls

10-4. Wood glue, when fully cured, will be stronger than the joint itself. If you were to hammer on a joint, the wood around the joint would break LONG before the glued portion would.

Screws are basically there for clamping and a TAD of strength.
Liquid Nails = super strong wood glue.

~Eric

I used liquid nails to glue a port in the box. When I tried to remove the port, the wood around the port broke off.

azmalu
07-09-2001, 03:41 AM
fuk i really wanted to post on this topic and answer questions... month or 2 ago mythread on liquid nailswent prety close to a 100 so i know all bout this **** all im sayin is u hav to be cheep buy lotsa of liquid naisl and jus ooze squirt it everythwer on binding parts and smooth it out then jus for kix if u must after l n dries use a tube of silicone to go over it with...and yall jus wanna let u know itss nice bein back on here had shouldr last week and i hated not bein able ot psot without takin half hour but my typign is still terrible o fcourse

big jim
07-09-2001, 05:02 AM
best stuff to use is pro bond just let it cure for24 hour and that $hit aint moving anywhere

http://members.cardomain.com/bigjim

bigbluwail
07-09-2001, 03:17 PM
Can anyone give me a good reason for needing something stronger than carpenter's glue?

I mean, since the glued joint is stronger than the wood itself, then why go stronger? The glue isn't the weakest link here.

Ben

azmalu
07-09-2001, 04:45 PM
bg blue liquid nauils is a type of carpenters glue is jus brand names basically same substance wood filler on the other hand ..okay nevermind that wus jus me wastin money at home depot for shti i will NEVER use

imtfox
07-09-2001, 08:36 PM
Carpentry glue doesn't fill cracks as well as liquid nails. A good all weather adhesive/filler is PL500. It also makes good fire! Always let your box cure for 24hrs before loading it with speakers whether you use silicone or liquid nails. They both need to off-gas while curing.