CarAudioForum.com

Old 01-29-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
BEAU

BEAU will become famous soon enough

Yes, if there were differences...It would take good speakers and "Golden Ears" to be able to hear them. I doubt the average listener would hear a difference. These are some of the better amps that one can get for car audio.

So having said that....
- I know that STEG is rare and expensive so it is out...
- Audison is supposed to be great but the higher lines are expensive so they are out.
- DLS Ultimate is supposed to be great but a bit on the pricey side...but not as expensive as the top Audison or STEG. On the other hand the Reference series is supposed to be good sounding.

If it were my decision, I would go with the DLS Reference Series and have no doubts about the sound over the others. Would put more energy in making all of the components to the system sound good and not worry too much about a single component.

I think if you start out with all decent components you have the makings of what potentially can be a very good system....you have to make them work in harmony...that is the case with $1K worth of gear or $10K worth!
BEAU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond reputeThe_spacemonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAU
Yes, if there were differences...It would take good speakers and "Golden Ears" to be able to hear them. I doubt the average listener would hear a difference.
All differences, no matter how subtle can be measured.

Golden ears are people who can hear unmeasureable differences.

I will put up $$$ that says that NOONE can hear the difference between those amplifiers while driven within normal operating ranges and power matched. I have a true ABX comparator sitting around waiting for someone to accept.

The funny thing is that all of these things are only audible to the "golden ears" if there is noone else looking and noone making sure the test isnt biased. "This pebble glows in the dark!! I swear!!! But it only does it when noone but me is looking at it. It has stage fright."

Last edited by The_spacemonkey; 01-29-2007 at 06:22 PM.
The_spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #18
fugyaself

fugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond repute

Throw a dart at a world map and see which country it is closest to.
fugyaself is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
Vestax05pro

Associates

Location: USUC World Champion - Stock System Class, Super Street Division Special Edition Bose 26 piece speaker system with enhanced ported tweeters. 89.2 db Legal, 89.6 db Outlaw
Vestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond reputeVestax05pro has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take the 409 or Lysol over the STEG or DLS any day. They sound so much cleaner and they get the job done too.
Vestax05pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #20
BEAU

BEAU will become famous soon enough

I see what you are saying spacemonkey about if all things were equal most would not be able to tell the difference between amps. However, it is the real world difference that really makes this amp talk silly.

First, we are dealing with the car environment, which is not the best to try to get accurate sound. Then there is the vast variety of vehicles. You could give ten guys the components to make ten identical systems that include a set of Audison Thesis amps and ask them to build an accurate system. The final result will be ten different sounding systems.

So the reality is, even if there are differences in amps it is such a moot point because the final result will be different from person to person, vehicle to vehicle.

In a car, there really is nothing to argue about in terms of amps sounding different....So let's just stop this madness.....
BEAU is offline   Reply With Quote