CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
punzfocus

punzfocus is on a distinguished road

building a good sq + spl system

i have a 07 ford five hundred with premium sound and was wanting some ideas on a good sq+spl system what are some of the first things i would need to do in order to accomplish what i want to do i want a clear sound plus be able to bump a lil bit and need some info on sound dampening as far as the whole car or just certain areas that would need it and input would be appreciated
punzfocus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

What parts of the stock system do you want to keep? How much depth do you have for new components?

What is your budget?
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Also once you tell us your budget, clarify a little for us what you are looking for. If you are looking for a SQL setup, that to me is a lot different than a SQ setup. In a true SQ setup you would want everything to blend together perfectly. SQL setups to me, are systems where everything is made to be extremely loud and clear,(sounds good to 90% of people who are not true audiophiles) but a little less emphasis on perfect staging.
Mordrid1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
punzfocus

i want it to get loud but still be clear and i havent tore apart the car yet i just no that i want it to be clear not rattle i want to do one 12 or 1 15 right behind the rear seat forward facing and my budget is 1000 for everything so if this helps let me no if not then i will be on all day so hopefully i can get some feedback

Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Subwoofer
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...2%22-SSA-DCON-
12D4%7B47%7DS4.html

Amps
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7757/STL1...-Amplifier.htm
http://www.woofersetc.com/p7754/STL2...-Amplifier.htm

Components (you will need an adapter to convert from the stock 6x8's)
http://www.woofersetc.com/p4418/CL61...t-Speakers.htm

If you build your own box, then that would still leave you about $350 for your amp kit and sound deadener for the doors and any rattles. Both amps might be more than you need, but that gives you some headroom, and some ability to upgrade your sub or front stage later on.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
punzfocus

i was thinking about running a square sub what are some of the pros and cons of running a square or round sub is it preference or are there ups and downs to either

Old 07-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Mordrid1

Square subs have more cone area than the same sized round sub. That is the upside of a square sub.
Round subs traditionally have better SQ because square subs are more prone to distortion, and are less efficient because of the shape of the sound waves and the way they travel from the center of the sub.

Above you stated you wanted SQL, IMO if that is really what you are looking for then you do not want a square sub.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
punzfocus

well i will probably go with a round sub then and also im debating on coaxial vs components whats the way to go on that

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

most highend coxials sound great..
why not just add a subwoofer for now and later save up for a new front stage?
1 grand sounds like alot but its barely icing on the cake when it comes to using good proucts that will last and sound excellent..
for example a good woofer and amp alone is going to cost you 500 after box wiring and the actual amp and woofer..
for example
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/arsenal.php about 180 shipped..
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6859/FD-6...-Amplifier.htm 280
125-150 for a custom ported box that would give you excellent FR and SQ..
so your looking at another 60 bucks for a good wiring kit..

as for components id suggest you save 300 for the fronts alone and another 350 for an amp for them 50 for sound deadning and another 150 to get the doors sealed of to get a good frquency response and good midbass/range as well..
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

on second thought..
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6856/FD-2...-Amplifier.htm
http://www.woofersetc.com/p4985/TSC7...ker-System.htm
300+180
35 bucks for sounddeadning and seal your doors up depending on your car may cost you 20 buck or 150 bucks if someone has to make some custom door panels..
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote