CarAudioForum.com

Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
redwrangler

redwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond repute

OFC and CCA wire

I have always used OFC power wire, but recently I have been talking to some people that use CCA wire. They claim that electricity only travels over the surface of the individual mills of the wire and that is why CCA is the same as OFC.

I've always believed that OFC wire is the way to go. Is there any study or research that shows the difference in current carrying capacity between OFC and CCA wire?

Does electricity travel on the surface of the mills or does it also travel through the actual copper?
redwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
redwrangler

redwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond repute

I just found this link that has some comparisons of CCA and OFC. I don't know how accurate it is, but based on the tables, CCA wire has 70% efficiency that OFC wire has.

http://www.ccawire.com/Copper-Clad-Aluminum-Wire.html

Old 08-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

When comparing standard gauge copper wire products to those from manufacturers that offer CCA wire, you'll find the size of the CCA product is often increased compared to standard gauge so the run of aluminum wire has similar conductivity to a comparable length of pure copper.

Knu's CCA wire (for example) is larger and this dictates trimming some strands if you will be using distribution blocks and terminals intended for standard gauge copper power wires.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
redwrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
When comparing standard gauge copper wire products to those from manufacturers that offer CCA wire, you'll find the size of the CCA product is often increased compared to standard gauge so the run of aluminum wire has similar conductivity to a comparable length of pure copper.

Knu's CCA wire (for example) is larger and this dictates trimming some strands if you will be using distribution blocks and terminals intended for standard gauge copper power wires.
I actually have noticed that because I have some pieces of 4 gauge (Knu)laying around of both CCA and OFC and the OFC wire seems noticeably smaller.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #5
horsemanwill

horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

http://caraudiomag.com/articles/copp...-wire-warnings
horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Copper gives you better SQ.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
N2Audio

N2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant futureN2Audio has a brilliant future

The thing about current only moving on the surface is a poor reference to skin effect. Skin effect only occurs at very high audio frequencies and beyond. Not an issue in power wire. Really not an issue in audio at all.

CCA vs OFC isn't nearly worth all the debate it gets IMO.
Al has about 40% less conductance than Cu, so if you mix the two together it's going to be better, but not as good as pure copper.

As long as there are clear specifications identifying the current capacity of it wire and you don't expect it to do more than that you're good to go.
N2Audio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #8
AutoMediaPro

AutoMediaPro is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have done the big 3 .. have a solid battery .. and GREAT grounds . . and you're not dropping voltage .. I wouldn't worry about it in a daily setup.

Now, if you are in a competition class Like DB Drag Street and Street Max where you are VERY limited on batteries .. I would spare no expense to get every ounce of juice.
AutoMediaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
redwrangler

I have OFC wire but I ran into this "installer" who claims that CCA wire is just as good because of how the electricity runs over the surface area... I didn't believe him so I decided to do some research and I got some good info here as well as from some other folks.

The fact of the matter is, I'm only wondering because of that. I am not experiencing any voltage drop after I dropped in my HO alt.

No I'm not competing or looking to start. I just like a quality build

Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMediaPro View Post
If you have done the big 3 .. have a solid battery .. and GREAT grounds . . and you're not dropping voltage .. I wouldn't worry about it in a daily setup.

Now, if you are in a competition class Like DB Drag Street and Street Max where you are VERY limited on batteries .. I would spare no expense to get every ounce of juice.

The cost benefit ratio is very small, unless you are talking about a high current draw.
Mordrid1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Copper FTW
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote