CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

My initial Sundown Sa-8 impressions....

Setup :
Subs: 2 Sundown SA-8's (DVC 4ohm)
Amp : Sundown SAZ1000D
Enclosure : 1.53 ft^3 w/4" round port @ 32hz (forward firing subs, side firing port)
Vehicle : 2011 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab

Some of my song choices might seem a little dated, but I have used some of them as a point of reference for a long time.

Irene Cara - "What a Feeling".. At the intro of this song, the SA-8's tone and ability to smoothly change notes impressed me. When the beats started, the SA-8 had a the right blend of impact, "depth" and overhang. 4.5 out of 5 rating from me.

Clair Marlo - "All for the Feeling".. This song has a lot of different sounds in the bass, from drumming to precussion. The SA-8 did well here, and once again suprised me with it's ability to blend and stay musical. 4 out of 5 rating for me.

Metallica - "Enter Sand Man".. WoW...great impact during the drum intro. The SA-8 was not as clean as my Polk MM's on the intro, but it definitely had more impact, and made the drums come alive. I was extremely impressed that the SA-8 was able to keep definition, and not "muddy" up the intro. The rest of the song the SA-8 really impressed with sharp precise impact beats.
4 out of 5 rating. (my personal preference I would have rated this higher because what the SA may have lacked in clarity it made up for it with impact, but I am trying to stay subjective)

Bass Patrol - "30's N' Lows" .. WoW !! Listening to this song it is hard to believe that it is just 2 8's back there. I was extremely impressed with the SA-8's ability to reach down low for the low notes in this song, and it's ability to hit the lows with authority. 4.5 out of 5 rating

Overall I was really impressed with the the SA-8's. For a high output high excursion 8" sub, it has an amazing ability to stay musical. This is a great SPL 8" sub with ridiculous output for an 8, and yet it is not just an SPL sub. This sub is every bit in the same league as a JL 8w7, and in my opinion, because of price, performance, and enclosure size, the SA-8 wins hands down.

Now this was all with an enclosure I am not extremely happy with. When jacob said the Sa-8's love port area he was not joking. The single 4" port is really not enough port area for a pair of these 8's. I would recommend about a min of 24" of port area for a pair.
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Reeseman

Reeseman will become famous soon enoughReeseman will become famous soon enough

Thats sweet too hear, you should see if you can get it metered i'm kind of curious.
Reeseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Rep on re-charge for the review.

Next time I'm looking to do some 8's (or will be installing some for a buddy) I'll keep these in mind .
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review. Is 1.5cuft what Sundown recommends? How much throw do they have?
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Nice review. Is 1.5cuft what Sundown recommends? How much throw do they have?
Sundown recommends .5-.6 each ported @35hz. I gave them extra space with the intention of having the option to shrink down the box or change tuning or port area if needed. the single 4" port is right on the verge of being enough/not enough for a daily driver. I am hoping by switching it to a 4" aero port that will help, but if not I will probably add a second 4" port.

And the SA-8 seems to have a good amount of throw. Not sure how it will compare to the TC Epic 8 yet. I will know better then I start building the box for the Epics later this week or early next week. I plan on putting the Epic 8's in about .29 per @30hz, but the box design is a P.I.T.A..
Almost thinking about going with external ports.

Last edited by Mordrid1; 03-07-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post
Sundown recommends .5-.6 each ported @35hz. I gave them extra space with the intention of having the option to shrink down the box or change tuning or port area if needed. the single 4" port is right on the verge of being enough/not enough for a daily driver. I am hoping by switching it to a 4" aero port that will help, but if not I will probably add a second 4" port.

And the SA-8 seems to have a good amount of throw. Not sure how it will compare to the TC Epic 8 yet. I will know better then I start building the box for the Epics later this week or early next week. I plan on putting the Epic 8's in about .29 per @30hz, but the box design is a P.I.T.A..
Almost thinking about going with external ports.
Yeah, you may have to go with external ports or a really long "L" port. I'd be tempted to bump that tuning frequency up a bit to shorten the port.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
sundownz

arawndark.netfirms.com

sundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud of

If you like the v.1 8s that much tuned low you may want to try out the v.2 models
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of these same 8's and i have been very impressed with every aspect of them across the board. They are awesome little things.
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
If you like the v.1 8s that much tuned low you may want to try out the v.2 models
I had emailed you guys on specs and someone told me they would not be available for some time. Any better ETA?
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
sundownz

arawndark.netfirms.com

sundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud ofsundownz has much to be proud of

The specs ? We have them in the Klippel report "small signal" column :

http://www.sundownaudio.com/misc/BL_...FirstProto.jpg
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
The specs ? We have them in the Klippel report "small signal" column :

http://www.sundownaudio.com/misc/BL_...FirstProto.jpg
Nice. Looks like they'd be great for an upfring application.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Mordrid1

LOL I have not even finished the enclosure for the TC Sounds Epic 8's that I bought to compare to the SA-8's, and I just pre-ordered 2 SA-8v2's.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post
LOL I have not even finished the enclosure for the TC Sounds Epic 8's that I bought to compare to the SA-8's, and I just pre-ordered 2 SA-8v2's.
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then I'm accepting donations.