CarAudioForum.com

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
smashedpumpkins

smashedpumpkins is an unknown quantity at this point

JVC Head Unit Installation

I'm installing a JVC KD-R520 with 4 door speakers. I've wired up all the speakers to the head unit but I've having a problem...

When the unit turns on it says "MISWIRING CHK WIRING". Everything I've read online says it has to do with the speaker wiring being installed badly. When the unit turns on the back right speaker pops. No other speaker pops so I assume it's the culprit. I've checked everything but it seems perfect to me. The wires are soldered then wrapped with electrical tape. When I take a 9v battery to the wire at the headunit the speaker pops just like the rest of them. I changed the head unit ground as well but it's still giving me the error. Is there anything else that might be causing the miswiring? Does the back right speaker popping have to do with it?
smashedpumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashedpumpkins View Post
I'm installing a JVC KD-R520 with 4 door speakers. I've wired up all the speakers to the head unit but I've having a problem...

When the unit turns on it says "MISWIRING CHK WIRING". Everything I've read online says it has to do with the speaker wiring being installed badly. When the unit turns on the back right speaker pops. No other speaker pops so I assume it's the culprit. I've checked everything but it seems perfect to me. The wires are soldered then wrapped with electrical tape. When I take a 9v battery to the wire at the headunit the speaker pops just like the rest of them. I changed the head unit ground as well but it's still giving me the error. Is there anything else that might be causing the miswiring? Does the back right speaker popping have to do with it?
What vehicle? Did you use a commercially available wiring harness adaptor to clip into the vehicle's original radio harness and give bare wire ends to mate with those from the HU, or did you cut the factory radio plug off?

Regardless, make sure your wire colors are correct- some vehicles use a common ground for the speakers negative wire. You could try stringing a temporary wire from the HU to the affected speaker and see if that alleviates the problem- if one of the wires is pinched/cut/abraded/grounded along it's length, it will be seen by the radio as a short and that may explain the message. If you want to use the 9V to check for proper polarity, briefly touching the battery's positive post to the positive speaker wire and the negative post to the negative wire should cause the speaker cone to jump outwards...if the cone jumps inwards when it "pops" the polarity has been reversed.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
smashedpumpkins

smashedpumpkins is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
What vehicle? Did you use a commercially available wiring harness adaptor to clip into the vehicle's original radio harness and give bare wire ends to mate with those from the HU, or did you cut the factory radio plug off?

Regardless, make sure your wire colors are correct- some vehicles use a common ground for the speakers negative wire. You could try stringing a temporary wire from the HU to the affected speaker and see if that alleviates the problem- if one of the wires is pinched/cut/abraded/grounded along it's length, it will be seen by the radio as a short and that may explain the message. If you want to use the 9V to check for proper polarity, briefly touching the battery's positive post to the positive speaker wire and the negative post to the negative wire should cause the speaker cone to jump outwards...if the cone jumps inwards when it "pops" the polarity has been reversed.
This is for a 2008 Toyota Tundra.

Finally got it working. Darn panel was pinching a wire... As for the adapter, I'm sure I could have purchased it but the shop that put in my previous system used stock wires in some places and replaced it completely in others... I ended up wiring the speakers to the head unit through the door jam from the back where my amps used to be. (Downgrading system to sell the vehicle)

I've tried everything to get my Peripheral Steering Wheel Controls PESWIAKJC to work with this JVC unit but it's a no go for some reason. It worked great for my Kenwood but maybe this JVC unit isn't compatible. It seems that the unit says it should work with JVC but it doesn't list specific models. I've tried programming the device several times and I'm positive it's programmed right. The device even lights up each time I press the button on the steering wheel but the JVC unit doesn't flinch.

Glad the speakers at least finally work. That ended up being more of a pain that I had expected.
smashedpumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote