CarAudioForum.com

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
jlcpremier

jlcpremier is on a distinguished road

New amp recommendation

I have a 03 Toyota Highlander currently set up with a Pioneer DEH head unit, Alpine SPS-600C Components in the front and SPS-600 in the back. Up until last week, that was all running with a Fosgate amp and Alpine sub. My car got broken into and the amp and sub is gone. Trying to run the Alpine speakers off the measly 14W RMS from the head unit creates a lot of distortion at higher volumes plus it makes me nearly have to max out the volume on my head unit to get any real high levels of volume.

I've pretty much decided to pass on the sub from here out, and just amp up the front and rears, hoping that will at least fix the distortion and give me some decent bass again.

RMS on the both speakers is 80 RMS @ 4 ohms

I'm looking for a good budget amp that will give me decent sound on the Alpines. 5-channel might be nice to have if I do decide to add a sub later, but I can live with a 4-channel.

At the absolute highest level on a 4 channel I'd be looking at the Alpine MRX-F30 which pushes 75 RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms but runs about $160

Ideally I'd like to stay within this budget..
Under $120 4-channel
Under $250 5-channel

A couple 4-channel I've seen so far are the Crunch P1-600.4, Boss CX600, MB Quart ONX4.60, and the Kenwood KAC8405. Both the Crunch and Boss put out 75 RMS where the MB and KW put out 60

I'd like to mount it under my driver's seat so size is a concern.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

One question I have is over the past 3 or 4 years that I have been running the Alpine fronts and rears from the head unit, could I have damaged them in any way from under-powering them from the head unit?

Thanks!
jlcpremier is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
OhSnapWord

OhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant futureOhSnapWord has a brilliant future

Are you opposed to getting a 2 channel amplifier for the front components and just running the rears off the head unit? It would be easier to do as it is hard to get a quality 4 channel amp in that price range.

Alpine makes some solid amps and Kenwood isn't terrible. Avoid brands like Crunch, Boss and MB Quart.

A 2 channel amp like this one might be what you need.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-10352-ap...amplifier.aspx
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote