CarAudioForum.com

Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Hulk

Hulk has a spectacular aura aboutHulk has a spectacular aura about

Illumination wire

I'm installing a Kenwood KDC x494 deck and I cannot find the illumination wire. The manual states that it is a orange/white wire (does that mean orange or white or orange and white wire?).

The wiring harness the deck came with has red, yellow, black, then all of the speaker wires (white,white/black, gray, gray/black, green,green/black, purple, purple/black), blue/white, blue, brown, light blue/yellow.

But there is no orange/white so there is no illumination. Am I missing a wire or can the dimmer control wire be hooked up to the red (ignition) or battery (yellow) wire?

By the way this installation is on a 97 4runner and I did not use a harness as there was none available at the time I installed my first stereo about 9 years ago.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I'm installing a Kenwood KDC x494 deck and I cannot find the illumination wire. The manual states that it is a orange/white wire (does that mean orange or white or orange and white wire?).

The wiring harness the deck came with has red, yellow, black, then all of the speaker wires (white,white/black, gray, gray/black, green,green/black, purple, purple/black), blue/white, blue, brown, light blue/yellow.

But there is no orange/white so there is no illumination. Am I missing a wire or can the dimmer control wire be hooked up to the red (ignition) or battery (yellow) wire?

By the way this installation is on a 97 4runner and I did not use a harness as there was none available at the time I installed my first stereo about 9 years ago.
The orange dimmer/illumination wire is normally on the same circuit as the dash lighting and backlighting for switches that is triggered by the headlight switch- you can carefully tap that circuit to feed the illumination wire on the Kenwood so it's display dims when the headlights are turned on.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
KaeZoo

KaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond reputeKaeZoo has a reputation beyond repute

If the Kenwood harness doesn't have an illumination wire (orange with a white stripe) then you should tape off the dimmer or illumination wire in the car, and don't connect it to anything.
KaeZoo is offline   Reply With Quote