CarAudioForum.com

Old 10-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
mrhappy

mrhappy is on a distinguished road

Subwwoofer advice

Hi!

Newbie here, please be nice

I've got a simple setup in my mk2 Skoda Octavia estate, with a Rockford Fosgate Prime R2D4-10 sub in a sealed box in the side wall of the boot. It's not too bad, but the sub has seen better days, with some nasty noises coming from the dual voice coils.

I'm looking for a suitable replacement, be it another RF Prime or something else. It must be reasonably shallow and work with a sealed enclosure.

The Prime has dual voice coils at 4 ohms each and is rated 500W max. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r2d4-10

I'm driving it with a Pheonix Gold R500.1, which does 500W at 2 ohms. http://caraudio.manualsonline.com/ma...old/r5001.html

What sort of wattage and impedance sub should I be aiming for? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, so looking for a good quality budget woofer. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Cheers
mrhappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Bigteeboy

Bigteeboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappy View Post
Hi!

Newbie here, please be nice

I've got a simple setup in my mk2 Skoda Octavia estate, with a Rockford Fosgate Prime R2D4-10 sub in a sealed box in the side wall of the boot. It's not too bad, but the sub has seen better days, with some nasty noises coming from the dual voice coils.

I'm looking for a suitable replacement, be it another RF Prime or something else. It must be reasonably shallow and work with a sealed enclosure.

The Prime has dual voice coils at 4 ohms each and is rated 500W max. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r2d4-10

I'm driving it with a Pheonix Gold R500.1, which does 500W at 2 ohms. http://caraudio.manualsonline.com/ma...old/r5001.html

What sort of wattage and impedance sub should I be aiming for? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, so looking for a good quality budget woofer. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Cheers
sundown sd310 and IDQ10 both are perfect for that amp both subs are under 200.00 and both subs are great for sealed enclosure
Bigteeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #3
Bigteeboy

Bigteeboy is on a distinguished road

your amp is rated 500 watts@2ohms you should be looking at subs that at least rated at 500 watts @2 ohms RMS to get the most of that amp when buying amps or subs is not the max power that you should look at its the RMS that RF prime sub that you have is rated at 250 RMS@ 4 ohms that 500 is the max but that only for a quick burst

Last edited by Bigteeboy; 10-07-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Bigteeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hertz-Ener...QAAOSwTKJZee4H

There are a couple German car audio websites that actually have good products at decent prices(post too). Wish I could remember the one.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 03:01 AM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us are North American, so our product selection is way different as is pricing. Hertz, Focal and DLS seem to be reasonably priced over there.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
mrhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigteeboy View Post
your amp is rated 500 watts@2ohms you should be looking at subs that at least rated at 500 watts @2 ohms RMS to get the most of that amp when buying amps or subs is not the max power that you should look at its the RMS that RF prime sub that you have is rated at 250 RMS@ 4 ohms that 500 is the max but that only for a quick burst
So chances are, I probably cooked this one myself by wiring it for 2 ohms?

It doesn't get a lot of continuous heavy use, so if I wire only a single coil for 4 ohm will it run ok now, or is it game over for this sub?

Cheers

Old 10-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappy View Post
So chances are, I probably cooked this one myself by wiring it for 2 ohms?

It doesn't get a lot of continuous heavy use, so if I wire only a single coil for 4 ohm will it run ok now, or is it game over for this sub?

Cheers
The sub is toast. If you run a single coil, then you cut the sub's power handling in 1/2 and the QTS of the sub doubles so it probably won't sound good in your enclosure.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #8
mrhappy

Thanks Jimi. This presents a nice opportunity to get a little upgrade (or just get something more suitable!)

I've just tried to bend my head around QTS. Basically, a stronger magnet gives more control over the cone, leading to tighter bass. In my small, sealed enclosure, it would hurt the sub's performance to go single coil, which won't be able to drive as powerfully and easily. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I really need to do more homework in order to select a well matched sub! I can't afford to spend lots, but if I get it right this time I won't need to spend again...

Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
Jimi77

It's the combination of the magnet, the voice coil, the suspension and the enclosure. The sub can have a single coil, dual coils and there are even quad coil subs.

Your amp actually does 325wrms at 2 ohms. So you'll want a 4 ohm dual voice coil sub that is rated for at least 325wrms. The sub's recommended enclosure size needs to closely match the enclosure you have.

You need to make sure your gains on the amp are set properly. It's not hard to send 2x the amp's rated power to the sub because of improperly set gains. Here's a website with a few recommended methods for setting gains.

http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm