CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 08-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
CactusGlue

CactusGlue is on a distinguished road

Somewhat of a mystery sub. Need help.

Hello everybody I have some questions about a sub I recently bought and am looking for answers. I've used google and searched quite a few different sites and can't really find any info on this sub.

I bought an ARC KAR series 12 inch subwoofer the other day off of LetGo, normally I wouldn't buy a sub that I know nothing about but it was only 30 bucks so I said what the heck . He said it was a dual 4 but I haven't taken it out of the box to confirm this. Anyways I've been trying to find some specs on it, how old it is, what the rms wattage is, what is the optimal box size, what model, etc. I have it hooked up with it receiving about 350 watts, if it actually is a d4 that is, and it sounds pretty good. It's gets plenty loud for me and has decent sound quality. It sounds a little bit boomy to me which may be the result of the box.

I figure this thing is pretty old but was wondering is anyone knows anything about this sub or perhaps even where I can find a spec sheet or any info on it online somewhere.

It's for a grey/silverish cone with white lettering that says Arc Audio. KAR Series.
I would post a picture of it but I can figure out how and every time I try and upload one to my albums on here it says upload failed.

But if anyone got any info on this thing shoot me a holler. I'd much appreciate it.
CactusGlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 08-10-2017, 04:04 AM   #2
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

People did talk about Arc Audio back in the day (if we have the same brand in mind).

This one's even has a Foose logo on it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ARC+K...qhbJ9Nq7zWY0M:

Do you have a model number?

This MIGHT be it.

http://content.arcaudio.com/pdfs/pro...Manual_web.pdf
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

I would pull it out of the box see if there is a model number then call Arc and see if they can get you the info.
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
CactusGlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL_Krayzie112 View Post
People did talk about Arc Audio back in the day (if we have the same brand in mind).

This one's even has a Foose logo on it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ARC+K...qhbJ9Nq7zWY0M:

Do you have a model number?

This MIGHT be it.

http://content.arcaudio.com/pdfs/pro...Manual_web.pdf
It looks similar to the one in the picture but instead of Arc Audio Foose it says Arc Audio KAR series. It may very well be the same as the PDF you posted but I think they had a couple different KAR series that where a little different from what I gather, not 100 percent sure on that though.

And doh ya I should of taken it out already and seen if I can find some infor on the backside somewhere. Just been busy with other stuff and.havent had time yet, but I will do it soon.

I got it hooked up and it gets pretty darn loud, for me atleast. But it is a bit boomier then I like but seems like the sound quality in looking for is there if I can get it tuned right and in a proper enclose. That's one of the main reasons I'd like to find the model number and specs so maybe I can build a box that fits my style a little better. The box it's in now seems somewhat solid but I haven't really given it much of a look over. I'd rather much build my own box anyways just because it's something fun to do.

Thanks for the replies guys I will pull that thing out and see what info I can gather from it and then let you guys know.! Hell this think could 15 years old for all I know. I shall report back when I get more info or figure how to get pictures up.

Thanks guys!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:10 AM   #5
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

If it sounds boomy to you try a sealed box or small ported. Just adjust the gains. Doing it by ear won't hurt.
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that your sub is the one in that manual, then ignore those size recommendations from ARC. If it's the 2ohm DVC version I'd put in ~2cuft or more sealed; it would actually be a great candidate for an infinite baffle. Maybe 4 cuft ported. The 4ohm DVC could work in ~1.5cuft sealed and ~3cuft ported. I'd tune much lower than ARC recommends - I'd shoot for 30-35hz. I have no idea why they would recommend such a ridiculously high tuning frequency. Power handling will decrease with the larger enclosures; your real world power handling will probably be in the 3-350wrms range if you use a proper enclosure. Sound quality should improve vastly with a properly enclosure. That sub doesn't have a ton of throw, so ported is probably the way to go.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
CactusGlue

That's for the info Jimi I'm gonna pull it a little later on and see what exactly it is. The kid that sold it too me said it was a 4 oh DVC but you never know. I figured I'd give it a shot with it only being 30 bucks might be a good temporary sub for now. I got about 350 watts at 2 ohs on my amp probably a little less then 350 watts real wattsge. And I'm more excited to build the box then anything, I work all day framing and working on other people's houses, it will be nice to actually build a nice enclosure and setup for myself for once.

How I have the sub hooked up now it gets plenty loins for more; there's just a pretty big dropped on certain frequencies I'd like to improve. The box it's in now seems like it's a prefab, hopefully I can get the new one built to the correct specs and get it sounding to my liking .

Last edited by CactusGlue; 08-13-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
CactusGlue

So I finally got around to pulling the sub out of the box, just been busy with other stuff. And it ma definitely an Arc KAR D4 series. But the thing that surprised me was that they had this thing wired in a series, so I rewired it parallel and man I thought this thing was loud before. Now that it's getting the full wattage from the amp this thing slams. But the thing I like best is that it has great sound quality also. I can't wait to build my own box for this thing, I'm gonna do a little more research but will probably go with jimi's box recommendation.

Still not sure if I should go ported or sealed. I have the room to go ported but would like to go with the box that gives me the best sound quality. This thing is more then loud enough for me so I would be willing to sacrifice loudness for sound quality.

Eventually I'd like to go sound quality with the whole car when I get the funds. Got a couple 5.25 kappa coaxial in the front doors right now. Next step will probably be updating the fronts to some components I'm thinking. But right now I'm looking to get the best sound out of this sub I got now and possibly update that later, but that's way down the road because I'm more then happy with the Arc I got now.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to all

Generally a sealed box gives the best SQ. Since the sub is playing much louder can you give up some of that volume? Is so go sealed. Sealed is also simpler to design and build.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote