CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 AM   #1
olmie75

olmie75 will become famous soon enough

Ported Enclosure for 2X Solo Beric 15"

I'm putting a full system into a Yukon XL, including 2 15" Kicker Solo Berics 41L7154 in a ported enclosure (to be wired to 1-ohm load powered by Rockford T2500-1). This will be my first ported enclosure. I read up on Kicker's website. I'm looking to use max height to keep some trunk space. Kicker recommends min 3 sq ft per sub, (incl port volume) so the outer dimensions of box for both is 49" wide, 26" tall and 10.5" deep. They recommend a port of 2.5" x 16.25" that is 19.5" deep (but total area is key). The best way I can think of to have ports "fit" in my design is to have slotted port design with slot ports on top L / R edges of box (along the depth) so that the ports don't have to bend, and the port area would be 9" x 4.5". Does this sound like the best design given what I am seeking to achieve? Does port placement on top vs. in front matter? Was also considering tube style port, but can't make them to depth given interference with sub itself. I've heard you can "split" into multiple ports to achieve same affect ... would this simply be two smaller diameter tubes to the same depth? What affect would this have on sound? Any other general advice would be appreciated.
olmie75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

You do not have enough space with those dimensions. the subwoofers want 3 cubes without the port. Also Kickers specs are pretty bad you would ideally want around 100 sq. in. of port area. You are around 40 so need much more or you will have port compression and possibly some port noise.

In suv's subs up port back is best.

A box 26"h x 49"w x 14"d with a port of 16x6x26 will get you 96" sq in of port and tuning of 34. You will want to double baffle the front and add in some additional bracing.
ckeeler11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go more like 6 cuft per sub. 3 cuft is too small and will kill efficiency. Kicker probably has you tuning to around 35hz and I tune lower if it were me. You probably want a CRX/SUV style enclosure, which means subs facing up and ports to the rear. Ideally the subwoofer enclosure would be ~6-12" from the rear tailgate to minimize cancellation and maximize SPL.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote