CarAudioForum.com

Old 11-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

got a problem....

setup...

Accord sedan
Alpine 9887
Cadence 75x2 amp
6.5" Oz Elites
pos sub amp
12" RE SE

i was cleaning the inside of my car and saw this on the back seat back...

opened it up where i run the wires underneath the seat...

and found this...

iirc, wire is 16 AWG

thoughts?
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

I had something similar happen in a "winter beater" I put a system in, expecting to use the vehicle over one winter...in the end, I drove the car 2 1/2 years. I sold it for parts, and when stripping the system out found my speaker wires looking similar but worse.

I used Monster home theatre speaker wire (that looked similar to what is in your photos), what I had on-hand when doing the install off a bulk roll. Inside the car, after 2 1/2 years of touching sealant, plastic trim, upholstery etc. and undergoing the heat cycles of a closed up vehicle parked in the sun, the wire insulation was falling apart, had partially dissolved to glue like consistency. The melted insulation had stained carpet, melted onto the underside of some plastic trim pieces and had bare copper showing in a few places where I disturbed it. The wire insulation smelled strongly like vinyl when installing it, but did not stand up to use in a vehicle and melted into oblivion after touching vehicle trim and carpet over the 2 1/2 years. Mine made a bigger mess than yours.

In spite of still having a partial roll and remnants of that speaker wire kicking around, I haven't used it in a car install since. I have never experienced that with automotive speaker wire, the worst being finding the ends falling off of some Scosche RCA cables I used in my old Jeep. The boots on the RCA barrels were made of similar material to the Monster speaker wire insulation and had turned to gum after a few years. I discovered this when troubleshooting some channels cutting out, and had to replace all of the Scosche RCA runs with some Stinger cables.

Was that home speaker cable you used?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

some pos wire i think i got at Lowes or Home Depot, that i had lying around

it was a bigger mess than whats pictured, the sh!t got all over my RCAs too, but i think the RCAs are fine

Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
nauc

ive had this setup ever since the 9887 came out... several years. still like how it sounds tho

Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauc View Post
some pos wire i think i got at Lowes or Home Depot, that i had lying around

it was a bigger mess than whats pictured, the sh!t got all over my RCAs too, but i think the RCAs are fine
Probably similar composition in the wire insulation.

Quote:
ive had this setup ever since the 9887 came out... several years. still like how it sounds tho
As well you should. 2007's Alpine line up of HU's was pretty good .

Yours held up better than mine for longer...garage kept? I'd still change out that speaker wire though .

Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
nauc

yah, garage

and i will def change out the wire to good car audio wire

thanks for your help!

Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
yah, garage

and i will def change out the wire to good car audio wire

thanks for your help!
My POS was parked out in the elements, so the home audio wire decomposed faster than it might of in a more temperate environment.

FWIW, I've used lots of the Scosche speaker wire (available on spools @ Walmart) in installs and never had any issues with it...fairly cheap, readily available and decent enough for the task at hand.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-au...-speaker-wire/

^^ might be worth a try if you don't need cash & carry

Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
nauc

thanks for the link

?, got a link for wire size vs amp power. someday im thinking about getting a bigger amp to run to my Oz comps. maybe 150x2 or so

Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 AM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
thanks for the link

?, got a link for wire size vs amp power. someday im thinking about getting a bigger amp to run to my Oz comps. maybe 150x2 or so
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_wiring.html
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2017, 04:20 AM   #10
nauc

thats power wire, i meant speaker wire

Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
SPL_Krayzie112

SPL_Krayzie112 will become famous soon enough

Bad ground loop I suppose?
SPL_Krayzie112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
nauc

i double checked all wiring, everything looks good. however, i noticed my amp gain was turned ALL THE WAY UP.. WTF! i even have a scope, WTF was i thinking! i thought i scoped it.. OMG errrrrrrrr

Old 12-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #13
ckeeler11

ckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to beholdckeeler11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnGr8 View Post
Ngga dropped his blunt and burned your sht while your girl was blowing him, you cuckold
Kids and their keyboards....
ckeeler11 is offline   Reply With Quote