CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
t3hw4h

t3hw4h is on a distinguished road

2x deck outputs onto 5 channel amp

I have a 5 channel amp to which I will be connecting 4x mids and 1x sub.

My deck has 2x RCA outputs, one of which can be used as a sub out by setting that output as such, on the deck.

This will leave 1x RCA output for the other four mids.

Would this set up work or should I be looking at a deck with 3x RCA outputs?

This is the deck I have:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iDcHHgD...ml#details-tab
t3hw4h is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hw4h View Post
I have a 5 channel amp to which I will be connecting 4x mids and 1x sub.

My deck has 2x RCA outputs, one of which can be used as a sub out by setting that output as such, on the deck.

This will leave 1x RCA output for the other four mids.

Would this set up work or should I be looking at a deck with 3x RCA outputs?

This is the deck I have:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iDcHHgD...ml#details-tab
Which 5 channel amplifier do you have? There are some that will internally divide a set of inputs for use with four channels when you set a switch that way, but there is no telling without the info.

If that is a "no" then get yourself some RCA Y-splitters to turn the one pair of full range pre-outs into two .
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
t3hw4h

It's an Alpine MRX-V60:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrx-v60/

What would be the downside of using a Y-splitter from one single output? Sound not as clear?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's an Alpine MRX-V60:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrx-v60/

What would be the downside of using a Y-splitter from one single output? Sound not as clear?
http://support.alpine-usa.com/produc...0_EN_FR_ES.pdf

Your amp has a switch that will internally split the signal you feed to channels 1/2 for providing the same signal to channels 3/4...see page 11 of your manual. You won't need Y-splitters.

To answer your question, using only one pre-out rather than a pair results in mono, not stereo. The pair consists of left and right channels .

Old 03-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
t3hw4h

Oh well that's a bit sucky.. is there any better way of wiring it up so that I get stereo?

I guess I could output those two channels to my amp and then do the EQ on my amp for the sub?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Oh well that's a bit sucky.. is there any better way of wiring it up so that I get stereo?

I guess I could output those two channels to my amp and then do the EQ on my amp for the sub?
You didn't read the post or link, did you?

Your amp has a switch that allows you to connect one pair of pre-outs to one pair of inputs, and when activating the switch it will internally divide that one pair so that it feeds all four channels, perfect for driving four channels plus sub with a 5 channel amplifier off of only two pairs of pre-amp outputs .

Old 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
t3hw4h

I get that.. but wouldn't it be mono output from the deck on those four channels?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
I get that.. but wouldn't it be mono output from the deck on those four channels?
Nope...you take one pair of pre-outs from your head unit (white plus red = left and right, stereo) and feed the same on your amplifier with an RCA cable...you set the switch to divide that signal amongst all four channels (page 11 of the amplifier's manual) and it will give you four channels- two lefts, and two rights- two stereo pairs from one pair of pre-outs. This will power all four of your speakers. Your amplifier has the ability to do internally what Y-splitters would do for you externally.

You then use another RCA cable from the other pair of pre-outs on your head unit to feed channel 5 to drive your subwoofer(s)...this will be summed to mono inside the amplifier, and you want it that way unless you are driving two subwoofers in separate enclosures and want stereo information reproduced in your bass (of which there will be very little left/right information you will be able to discern- low frequencies aren't directional or locatable like those reproduced by mids/tweeters).

Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
t3hw4h

OK great.. that's what I was hoping to hear

Thanks for your help.