CarAudioForum.com

Old 03-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
manlytearz

manlytearz is on a distinguished road

Amplifier fuse

Hello all, kind of sucks and I think I am going to need a new amp but I am thinking optimistically. My amp has 1 30 amp fuse in it and we were looking at it today and it was blown, we tried inputting another one and it was blown automatically. I believe my amp is fried, would it help if i disconnected the power from the batter completely, put the fuse in, and then reconnected the power or would I get the same result; thanks for any input!

Last edited by manlytearz; 03-11-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: My amp is a Boss brand amp
manlytearz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
jepalan

jepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond reputejepalan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by manlytearz View Post
Hello all, kind of sucks and I think I am going to need a new amp but I am thinking optimistically. My amp has 1 30 amp fuse in it and we were looking at it today and it was blown, we tried inputting another one and it was blown automatically. I believe my amp is fried, would it help if i disconnected the power from the batter completely, put the fuse in, and then reconnected the power or would I get the same result; thanks for any input!
Why do you think it blew?

Likely amp is fried, but try this first:

Disconnect everything (RCAs, speakers, Power wire) - leave ground & REM connected.

Insert new fuse.

Reconnect power wire.

If fuse blows, likely amp is fried. If not, reconnect other stuff and see what blows it.

If you get it running, you really need to figure out why it blew.
jepalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2015, 01:21 AM   #3
MOSFET

MOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond reputeMOSFET has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes amps are poorly designed so that the power wire makes contact with the amp's housing, causing it to short out immediately. Or the positive and negative terminals are very small, and located RIGHT NEXT to each other, again making shorting out very possible, especially if you are using large power and ground wires.

I like Jepalan's plan. However when you go to connect the positive wire, try at first JUST TOUCHING the positive terminal (not screwing it in yet), and see what happens. If it doesn't short, you might want to try using a smaller gauge power wire and CAREFULLY making sure it does not touch the negative wire or amp chassis. Of course, this is ONLY a guess at the problem, unfortunately it is more likely your amp is fried.

MOSFET
MOSFET is offline   Reply With Quote