CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Ricksastar

Ricksastar is on a distinguished road

Want to add a system to my 1969 Roadrunner... help please!

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out. I recently purchased a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. I haven稚 built a sound system since I was in high school about 20 years ago, so I知 definitely in need for some help.

I remember having a lot of luck with pioneer in the past. I don稚 have a ton of money to spend but I don稚 want something cheap either.

For a head unit I知 looking at the pioneer DEH-S5000BT. Looking to get 2 -12 inch subs, perhaps the TS-W3003D4... why you ask? No clue.. thought they look good. Not sure what to get for an amp yet. I also need to get for speakers for inside of the car.

So now I知 here asking you all for help. The system will most likely be hidden in the trunk and I will use the new improved ARC app on my iPhone to control from the front. At least that is my plan.

Suggestions? Questions? Anything you can do to help would be great.
Ricksastar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Pioneer is good for head units, but not so much for subs.

For subs, I'd look at Image Dynamics, Incriminator, DC Audio (aka DC Soundlabs), Sundown and Sound Solutions Audio.

Amps, I like Precision Power's ICE amps for power on the cheap. Alpine and Sundown make some nicer amps at a higher price point.

For speakers, I like Image Dynamics, Hertz, Morel, Dyn, NVX (X series), JBL and Polk (MM series).

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction. Giving us a budget and system goals and listening preferences helps.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Ricksastar

Thank you so much for the feedback. I’m gonna go and check out some of those brands now. So I will come back here because I want to make sure what I’m thinking about getting matches up correctly. I’m not too well educated with how amps and subs match up… Ohms and such.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #4
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksastar View Post
Thank you so much for the feedback. I知 gonna go and check out some of those brands now. So I will come back here because I want to make sure what I知 thinking about getting matches up correctly. I知 not too well educated with how amps and subs match up Ohms and such.
We can definitely help you out.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
Ricksastar

So I’m looking at some of your suggestions in brands… Maybe I should’ve clarified LOL. I spent most of my money on the car ha ha don’t have much for system. Maybe that’s why I was so into pioneer LOL. I checked out a few of those brands you mentioned and they are a bit out of my budget. Ideally I’d like to keep the sub woofers under $100 each, I was looking for 2- 12s but I would settle for 2-10s.

For sound quality of course I want something that sounds good....Ha ha ha I know that’s not the answer you’re looking for. But I want something with good bass and above average sound. I am by no means an audiophile.

So basically I need a head unit under $100. And amp for $100-$150. And two subs under $100 each. Then I need four speakers for inside the car trying to stay under $200 for all four.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
Jimi77

Quote:
So I知 looking at some of your suggestions in brands Maybe I should致e clarified LOL. I spent most of my money on the car ha ha don稚 have much for system. Maybe that痴 why I was so into pioneer LOL. I checked out a few of those brands you mentioned and they are a bit out of my budget. Ideally I壇 like to keep the sub woofers under $100 each, I was looking for 2- 12s but I would settle for 2-10s.

For sound quality of course I want something that sounds good....Ha ha ha I know that痴 not the answer you池e looking for. But I want something with good bass and above average sound. I am by no means an audiophile.

So basically I need a head unit under $100. And amp for $100-$150. And two subs under $100 each. Then I need four speakers for inside the car trying to stay under $200 for all four.
I'd avoid the Pioneer subs - just don't care for them and the performance is lacking. For subs, the best deal is (was?) the JBL GT5 if you can find them (Amazon or Ebay). If not then you might consider a single DC Audio Level 2 for around $200. The Dayton Reference Hifi or High output in 15" might be a way for you to actually save a few bucks in the subwoofer department. Go with a single 15" - for ~$170, you get a really nice sounding sub with pretty good output. The Dayton Reference Hifi can work in ~2.5cuft with ~2.5lbs of polyfil and you'll only need 4-500 watts to power it.

If you need a cheap amp, then the PPI ICE series amps are the way to go. If you go below that price point, you'll end up with garbage.

I assume the speakers will be powered by the HU and you're looking for coaxials. The Image Dynamics CTX coaxials are ~$130/pr, but worth the upgrade IMHO. Otherwise, I'd look at the Image Dynamics ID coaxial. Maybe the CTXs in the front and the IDs in the rear to help with costs. Avoid 3 & 4 way speakers.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
sla@smscaraudio

sla@smscaraudio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So I知 looking at some of your suggestions in brands Maybe I should致e clarified LOL. I spent most of my money on the car ha ha don稚 have much for system. Maybe that痴 why I was so into pioneer LOL. I checked out a few of those brands you mentioned and they are a bit out of my budget. Ideally I壇 like to keep the sub woofers under $100 each, I was looking for 2- 12s but I would settle for 2-10s.

For sound quality of course I want something that sounds good....Ha ha ha I know that痴 not the answer you池e looking for. But I want something with good bass and above average sound. I am by no means an audiophile.

Msg me directly and I'll see what I can get you for your budget may come out on top.
sla@smscaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to all

HU - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-F...&wl13=&veh=sem $117

AMP - https://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.a...yABEgLjGvD_BwE $120

2 subs - https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GT5-12-12.../dp/B001CW8VN8 $166

2 component speaker (front) - https://www.amazon.com/Ctx65cs-Dynam.../dp/B001NNOZNQ $170

You don't need rears. If you insist on having them just use the stock rears powered by the HU. You'll 2 amp channels for the fronts and 2 bridge for the subs. The subs can take 275 W RMS each or 550 total while the amp will only put out 400 @ 2ohm so it may not be loud enough for you if you like really loud bass.
JohnBauder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #9
Jimi77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBauder View Post
Subs are out of stock and since JBL isn't making them anymore...

Old 04-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
JohnBauder

JohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to allJohnBauder is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Subs are out of stock and since JBL isn't making them anymore...
Yeah I see that now. They still had them a few days ago. Damn...

Old 04-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Jimi77

Quote:
Yeah I see that now. They still had them a few days ago. Damn...
Yeah, it's too bad. Once the word got out what deal those were, the prices starting climbing, but they were still a hell of a deal.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
JohnBauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Yeah, it's too bad. Once the word got out what deal those were, the prices starting climbing, but they were still a hell of a deal.
I got mine for $50 each before they stopped production.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
Jimi77

Quote:
I got mine for $50 each before they stopped production.
Even at $100 they're still a deal. They were ~$60 for a long time before they prices went up.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

id do it over time. get a nice deck and front speakers now, then a sub and amp(s) later.

and x2, if you can fit 1 15", i do that

also, i wouldnt get rear speakers, a good set of components upfront will get plenty loud, and more speakers usually just screw up the sq (sound quality)
nauc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #15
Pyle_Driver

Pyle_Driver is infamous around these partsPyle_Driver is infamous around these partsPyle_Driver is infamous around these partsPyle_Driver is infamous around these parts

Quote:
So I’m looking at some of your suggestions in brands… Maybe I should’ve clarified LOL. I spent most of my money on the car ha ha don’t have much for system. Maybe that’s why I was so into pioneer LOL. I checked out a few of those brands you mentioned and they are a bit out of my budget. Ideally I’d like to keep the sub woofers under $100 each, I was looking for 2- 12s but I would settle for 2-10s.

For sound quality of course I want something that sounds good....Ha ha ha I know that’s not the answer you’re looking for. But I want something with good bass and above average sound. I am by no means an audiophile.

Don't listen to these guys in here. They like to recommend unecessary equipment for people who are just looking to get a decent budget system because they like to brag about boutique gear. Get that Pioneer deck that you are looking to buy, and add the following ;

Subwoofers - https://www.amazon.com/Hifonics-HFX1...inch+subwoofer

These are great budget subs, $60 for 2. Wire them down to a final 4 ohm load, you can search online for how to wire these DVC (dual voice coil).

Subwoofer Enclosure ( dual port )- https://www.amazon.com/E12DSV-Shared...+subwoofer+box

Ported box should be good for those Hifonics and make them really come alive!

Amplifier - https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-dB1...ille+amplifier

This amp is CEA rated at 600 watts RMS @ 4 ohm, so you're feeding 300 watts to each subwoofer, should bang pretty hard.

4 gauge wiring kit - https://www.amazon.com/SoundBox-Conn...ier+wiring+kit

Should be good with this wiring kit. No need for overpriced snake cables.

Speakers - https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-P....5%22+speakers

Just get 1 set of these. You don't need rear speakers as it ruins the soundstage of your music, think about being at a concert.... do you want the band playing music behind you? You can disconnect the rear speakers or if you must have rear, leave the stock speakers alone just to fill in a bit.... just make sure they don't distort at high volume. I would just powered the speakers through the head unit for now, you can add a small 2 channel amp for it if you feel the need for more volume later down the road.

Total Price = So for $300 (not including the Pioneer deck) and a bag of dog treats, you've got yourself a bangin' system, YO! Now, hook it up and impressed the neighborhood kids.

Last edited by Pyle_Driver; 04-19-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Pyle_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote