CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 04-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Xenokai

Xenokai is on a distinguished road

Is it ok to use 6 screws on a sub instead of 8?

My new 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 came with 8 screws. The top and bottem looked like the screws would goto the seam of the walls of my box and I was worried about it so I just used 6 screws. The 4 in a X pattern and 2 more on left and right side center of the speaker. Is this a ok thing to do? Thanks
Xenokai is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenokai View Post
My new 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 came with 8 screws. The top and bottem looked like the screws would goto the seam of the walls of my box and I was worried about it so I just used 6 screws. The 4 in a X pattern and 2 more on left and right side center of the speaker. Is this a ok thing to do? Thanks
Sounds like you have a problem. The diaphragm/cone is probably around 3/4 pounds oscillating at ~100 cycles/second - it has to be anchored to the baffle properly or your going to have leaks and you could potentially damage the sub.

You really need all 8 screws and the screws need to be anchored solidly. Going into a seam probably doesn't qualify as a solid anchor. Can the sub be rotated to avoid the seam?
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Sounds like you have a problem. The diaphragm/cone is probably around 3/4 pounds oscillating at ~100 cycles/second - it has to be anchored to the baffle properly or your going to have leaks and you could potentially damage the sub.

You really need all 8 screws and the screws need to be anchored solidly. Going into a seam probably doesn't qualify as a solid anchor. Can the sub be rotated to avoid the seam?
cant he just redrill holes between the holes..

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/im.../sexv212d4.jpg
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #4
Xenokai

Xenokai is on a distinguished road

I went ahead and put the screws in, not sure if it went out the seam or not. Box didnt crack apart or anything. I may of just got to parinoid. All 8 are nice and tight. Thanks for your input, I thought 6 would be enough.
Xenokai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

A good rule of thumb with MDF is to pre-drill all holes with a bit slightly smaller than your screws- this prevents the easily split MDF from blowing out when you drive the screws in.

A few drops of wood glue in the screw hole will lubricate the screw and seal up the MDF, and carefully torquing the screw down until resistance is felt (which indicates the screw has been driven home) will usually result in solid subwoofer mounting. I usually do final torquing by hand rather than using a drill with a screw driving bit so as not to strip out the MDF in the hole.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote