CarAudioForum.com

Old 12-03-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
tylerhunt

tylerhunt is on a distinguished road

DSQ Sub

Dayton Loudspeaker DSQ12.4

Has anyone seen this before or used it? I saw it today in the latest PartsExpress mailer and it looks like a decent sub for the price. This is from the catalog:

"While the Dayton Loudspeaker Company was in the process of developing the ultimate home threater subwoofer, something went askew. The result was a woofer with a low Fs, but also a low VAS--not a bad thing, but not exactly what we were looking for. The driver was shelved as one of the rejects that come at the price of new product development. Then on day, a loudspeaker technician stumbled aross the driver and decided to put it in th trunk of his car. We all thought he was crazy, but boy we were wrong! After a few minor adjustments we were able to optimize the driver for use in boxes less than 1 cu.ft. By combining excellent power handling, long excursion, and low distortion, the sound quality that the subwoofer can deliver is truly amazing! The driver was immediately dubbed the DSQ, Dayton Sound Quality."

I'm started to plan my own sub now, so does anyone care to share comments or suggestions on using this driver?
tylerhunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 PM   #2
FRITO

NEED WIRES OR RCAS? PM ME

FRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond reputeFRITO has a reputation beyond repute

do some searches on dayton, should be a lot ..........

Dayton makes fine speakers for the money. the DSQ is pureley sound quality. it should be awesome. I would have got one if the were out when i ordered my Dayton........i got the titanic MKII. it is awesome. all i can say is the DSQ is gonna be even better probably.........

hope this helps, Lucas
FRITO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
crazyray

crazyray is on a distinguished road

I'm tempted too

I've used Parts Express' 12"DVC subs in my car with very good results even though they are intended for home use. The DSQ has the specs and doesn't have the usual car audio inflated price. If your budget calls for $150 subs, looks like a winner.
crazyray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #4
tylerhunt

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to do some more research on my own as it seems from the initial posts that Dayton does make some good products. It's surprising that you don't hear about them more considering the quality and value you're suggesting they have.

Old 12-03-2002, 06:39 PM   #5
Urmama

Pit Doctor

Urmama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tylerhunt
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to do some more research on my own as it seems from the initial posts that Dayton does make some good products. It's surprising that you don't hear about them more considering the quality and value you're suggesting they have.
I guess they need to influence more opinion leaders

my name should come up on those searches, those subs are no joke
Urmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2002, 09:36 AM   #6
tylerhunt

I posted about this sub on another forum and I've gotten a lot of flak about its lack of power handling (350W RMS, 490Peak) and getting what you pay for. I was planning on using it with a U.S. Acoustics USX2150 (150W x 2 or 450W RMS bridged @ 4 ohms). What are your opinions on the power handling relative to other subs on the market?

I picked the amp first to match the one I already have for my mids, so if this sub wouldn't be a good match, what would you recommend? I'm looking for a good SQ setup, preferrably with that amp.

Old 12-07-2002, 09:53 AM   #7
Jethro

Jethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by tylerhunt
I posted about this sub on another forum and I've gotten a lot of flak about its lack of power handling (350W RMS, 490Peak) and getting what you pay for. I was planning on using it with a U.S. Acoustics USX2150 (150W x 2 or 450W RMS bridged @ 4 ohms). What are your opinions on the power handling relative to other subs on the market?

I picked the amp first to match the one I already have for my mids, so if this sub wouldn't be a good match, what would you recommend? I'm looking for a good SQ setup, preferrably with that amp.
I wouldn't worry too much about the power handling. A quick look at the driver's Xmax and venting system will tell you this thing will handle a lot of power. I would think that sub could handle 450watts no sweat - shoot, I've run 400watts to RF Series1 drivers rated at 100w without problems.
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
tylerhunt

Well you just made me feel a litter better then. So you're saying you don't think it would be problematic to run it at 100W above RMS and only 40W below peak. Your main point seems to be that the power handling capabilities are underrated and the Xmax seems to say the power handling should be much greater. Is the Xmax/venting the only thing that really stipulates the power handling of a driver?

Can anyone with this sub or another Dayton testify as to how much power they're giving to their sub compared to the rated power handling?

Thanks for the posts.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:11 AM   #9
Jethro

Jethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond reputeJethro has a reputation beyond repute

There are other factors that dictate power handling, those were just the most obvious to me.

I do have experience with other Dayton drivers -- their BR-1 kits, an excellent bookshelf speaker -- their basic $22.00 10" drivers that I used to retrofit my mom's deteriorating speakers, worth every penny -- their Titanic II series, very similar build to the DSQ, an incredible SQ driver.

Put a DSQ in 1.25 cubic feet sealed and you should have great SQ and plenty of SPL with that 450 watts.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:11 AM   #10
Urmama

Pit Doctor

Urmama is on a distinguished road

I'm giving my 4 12" DVC's 400 rms a piece in a ported enclosure and they love the power, I'm not sure why the power rating on the DSQ is lower, what type of enclosure?
Urmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2002, 10:24 AM   #11
tylerhunt

I'm definitely going with a sealed enclosure and planning on building it myself. Looking at the detailed specs on the PartsExpress site they recommend these box volumes:

1.06 cu. ft. (Q=0.7, Fb=46.6Hz, Anechoic F3=46.4)
0.75 cu. ft. (Q=0.8, Fb=53.1Hz, Anechoic F3=48.7)
0.55 cu. ft. (Q=0.9, Fb=60.2Hz, Anechoic F3=52.0)

Would someone mind explaining the differences between these three? I don't know what Q, Fb, or Anechoc F3 mean (hey, at least I got the volume part down )

Last edited by tylerhunt; 12-07-2002 at 10:36 AM.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:38 AM   #12
Jethro

This site has a good explanation:
http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=29

When Parts Express says Q they are referring to Qtc, and with Fb they mean Fc. (Follow the link, you will see)