CarAudioForum.com

Old 12-20-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
broke turbo

broke turbo is on a distinguished road

Loud pop when stereo turns on

I just put a subwoffer and an amp in my car, and now, when ever I turn on the stereo, change stations, change CD's or go from 0 volume to 1 or higher, it makes a POP Bass sound.

It seems like its "Firing" up the amp and that the wattage is rather high then it calms down. Anyone know whats up or have an idea?

Ive got a

RFG 12 z series
Bolt lightening AMP 460watt
Poineer DEH-P520 deck.

Im using very large wireing with everything. Thanks

Gabe
broke turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #2
rezaccord31

rezaccord31 is on a distinguished road

yeah man, my stuff does that too..... i dunno what it is??? maybe lik u said, the amp is powering up..... can anyone help wit this???
rezaccord31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2002, 08:05 PM   #3
Waco

Waco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond reputeWaco has a reputation beyond repute

That is your head unit turning the amps on but the amps don't have a sufficient turn-on delay to not play that loud thump. When the reciever goes from nothing to anything above nothing, it turns all the exterior amps and the internal amp back on, and if the amp turns on too quickly, it will catch the power on "surge" from the reciever.

Basically, it is a design flaw in the amps that gets worse if you have a head unit that sends a jolt through the preamp outputs when turning on. It is not harmful as long as your amps gain is not set too high.
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2002, 06:28 AM   #4
soundz2gr8

soundz2gr8 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes wiring a relay in-line using the remote as a trigger will give just enough delay to stop this.
soundz2gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2002, 06:36 AM   #5
broke turbo

How would I go about doing this? Are you talking about the standard 80 86 87 83 or what ever it is relay? I am picking up interferance from my car now. RF interfeance. I think my ground is poor. Im thinking about grounding someware else and seeing what happens. Im getting pulses of a non existant sound going to the subwoofer.

Thanks
Gabe

Old 12-23-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
dashrat77

dashrat77 is on a distinguished road

I had a system come into my shop with this problem. To make a long story short, it turned out to be his ground. Where it was origionally grounded was actually on top of some silicone sh*t from the factory (I dont see how it ever worked). I had this little 2" wire wheel for my drill, so I shaved an area clean (shiny metal) and used 4 self-tapper screws to hold it down. Worked great until about a week ago when we pulled the whole system and moved it to another truck.
--- but yeah, sometimes the relay will work too (if it's not your ground)
dashrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2002, 03:14 PM   #7
klewis1160

klewis1160 is on a distinguished road

Make sure you have a good clean ground. I had the same problem when I turned on or off my hu or car itself. Also shorten the ground wire if possible.
klewis1160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2002, 08:27 PM   #8
johnybass

johnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond repute

18"max

your ground should only be 18 inches at maximum. it should be much shorter than that really.
atleast 8 gauge wire for 200 watts or 4 gauge for more than 200 watts rms.
its a good idea to use a relay thingy delay thing if the ground isnt the problem.
most good amps have a quiet turn on feature. but lightning audios probably dont.
arent those amps made by fosgate?????
johnybass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2002, 09:42 PM   #9
broke turbo

I beleive they are. Im not positive but ive heard a few people say that. Im begining to think that the ground is the problem. I've got to find a good ground. Im going to look at that today. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Gabe

Old 12-23-2002, 09:47 PM   #10
johnybass

johnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond repute

make sure

make sure to scrape any paint off of the body part that you bolt the ground to.
make sure the bolt isnt coated with anything and it does conduct electricity.
most bolts are coated and for some reason dont conduct electricity.

make sure your ground and your positive are extremely thick.
the thinnest part is what matters.
if the thinnest part is only half as thick as the rest then the wire will perform like its weakest link (the thinnest part)
make sure to use atleast 8 gauge for 200 watts and 4 gauge for more than that.

Old 12-23-2002, 09:52 PM   #11
broke turbo

I've got an 8 gauge power and ground. The ground is at 18inches right now, becuase I have just hooked everything up. Nothing is set in stone. It is relitivly close to the fuel pump in my car (Hatchback) And I beleive that is it picking something up from that. I am going to move it to the other side, find a better ground, and then let everyone know. Is there a chance that the RCA cables are picking up interferance from the 12v power cable? I am running them next to each other along the center of the car, and I was told this is not a good thing to do. Let me know

Gabe

Old 12-23-2002, 10:49 PM   #12
johnybass

next to 12v

YES!
running the rca's near the 12 volt or ground is the #1 cause of noise.
normally when you turn the car on and rev the engine you will hear the engine reving through the speakers that the amp powers.
If it is a sub sometimes you cant hear it but that doesnt mean it doesnt matter.
My rca's are next to my 12volt and it doesnt do anything.
im lucky cause it has done it to me before.
it all depends on your electrical system and your amps.
im going to move my rca's soon even though they dont make any noise.
fuel pump might do it. im not sure.
make sure speakers are positive to positive and negative to negative.
make sure rca's didnt tear open at all anywhere in your car where something sharp could have gotten to the wire.
that happens alot.
good luck

Old 12-24-2002, 01:56 AM   #13
stunninforever

stunninforever is on a distinguished road

ya my legacy did that but i blew that and got a tsunami gxa1000d......my legacy did it because it didnt have soft turn on or as thewacokid said it is a design flaw in the amp but it might still be your ground so check to see if your amp has soft turn on and if it does its your ground for sure
stunninforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2002, 06:27 AM   #14
sonicnirvana

street spirit [fade out]

sonicnirvana is on a distinguished road

I have to disagree about the power next to the RCA's being the cause for noise..........this has been proven to be a non-issue by many well-respected folks in the industry. First, a turn-on pop like he's describing shoudn't be induced by signal cables close to the power wire. My last two systems have had power and RCA's practically on top of one another the entire length of the interior, with zero noise problems. That would be the last place I'd look for the source of the noise.

If you are in doubt about the ground, start there. Make it as solid as possible: i.e.-short length of wire, grounded to bare metal, no paint or undercoating in the way of a good contact. As much as you may hate to do it, I've never had a noise problem arise from a grounding point drilled into the floorpan. (properly cleaned and sanded of course) Seat bolts, trunk hinge bolts and the like may work, but thats just another guess to me.
sonicnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2002, 05:14 PM   #15
johnybass

wrong

it may not be the rca's causing problems but it is definately not a good idea to run the rca's with the power.
mine is right now and its fine but with cheaper amps ive had problems and that was it.
And also if you go to competitions you will never see the 2 together on top of eachother.
It may not cause a popping sound but it sure can cause other sounds especially with a 2 or 3 hundred dollar cheapo amp.
And especially with speaks instead of subs.