CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 01-09-2003, 04:34 AM   #1
OffroadGirl

OffroadGirl is on a distinguished road

Kenwood MP3 - Can It Shuffle?

Hi all, new to this BBB -- I had all of my stuff stolen so I'm rebuilding. I have this so far installed:

Pioneer Premiere HU DEH-P840MP
Alpine MRP-F200 4-channel amp
Rockford Fosgate 200/1 sub amp
JL Audio 8W3v2 8" sub in enclosure
Infinity Kappa 63.5I 3-way rear speakers
Infinity Reflection 2-way front speakers

I've had the Pioneer 840 for 4 days and I'm taking it back. It's playing the same 20 or so songs instead of shuffling through the MP3 disk of about 160 songs. The songs are from all over the disk, but that's not random if I'm hearing the same songs over and over.

I had the Kenwood MP919 for 3 weeks before it was stolen and I never figured out how to make it shuffle the entire disk. I've been through the instructions (and asked around) and the verdict is that it DOES NOT SHUFFLE THE DISK. It will shuffle within a folder on a disk but it won't shuffle between folders.

Is this true???

I've had 2 Sony MP3 players which were okay but eventually sucked because they skipped after a few months. The Kenwood was great. This Pioneer has too much space between songs (the Kenwood had no space) and the shuffle doesn't work right.

So I think I'm going to take the Pioneer back and get another Kenwood 919. I'll reburn all my MP3 CDs and put all the songs in the root directory. This sucks though -- I really have my stuff organized. I guess if I want to listen to only one band I'll have to burn another temporary CD.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or know how to make the player shuffle correctly? I've checked out all of the current Kenwood models and they all seem to behave the same way.

Help -- and TIA!
OffroadGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Jomero

SQin' Protege

Jomero is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Not sure about your specific model, but my Clarion MP3 player (which is made by Kenwood with Kenwood parts) will do exactly that. It will shuffle only in the folder it is in, and once it's played through all the songs on that folder, it will move to the next folder sequentially and then shuffle through that one.

-Jomero
Jomero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
OffroadGirl

So it's not possible to make it do a complete disk shuffle? Does anyone else see that as a major shortcoming for Kenwood?

Old 01-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #4
Jomero

SQin' Protege

Jomero is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that did dishearten me a little bit. Out of curiosity, how many other MP3 players can do a complete disc, multiple folder shuffle? How fast can it do it?

Personally, I don't mind it that much. I got a GREAT deal on my current player and since my 3000.00 cd collection was stolen, but I had ripped them all to mp3 I was just glad I was able to listen to my collection again albeit in mp3 format.
Jomero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #5
Rafale

Champion du Monde

Rafale is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Jomero
Hmmm. Not sure about your specific model, but my Clarion MP3 player (which is made by Kenwood with Kenwood parts) will do exactly that. It will shuffle only in the folder it is in, and once it's played through all the songs on that folder, it will move to the next folder sequentially and then shuffle through that one.

-Jomero
True true...I have an Exelon MP3 player and it will only shuffle in the folder, not the entire disc. Personally I don't mind. The MP3 feature on this deck is fast!
Rafale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
OffroadGirl

My Sonys did a great job shuffling through the 160 or so MP3s. I noticed there were some file slots that it would never play (maybe there are numbers like the 4th song that would never come up in the randomizer or something). Other than that Sony has been the best randomizer so far.

The Pioneer is randomizing through all songs though like I said it's not very good at it.

I've seen Alpines random through a whole disk but I don't know how well they do it.

Kenwood is the only one I know of that can't do it.

It's like providing a CD changer that will only random on one disk and not in the whole changer. It doesn't make sense...

Old 01-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
OffroadGirl

Hey I talked to Kenwood Tech Support and they confirmed that their current MP3 players can't shuffle an entire disk of MP3 folders. The new models should be out in early February of 2003 though I couldn't get the guy to address the issue and if it was going to be fixed in the new season.

I hope they have their stuff together -- he did say I was definitely not the first to complain about this issue.

Old 01-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
Why Try

Why Try is on a distinguished road

Kenwood is by far the better mp3 player on the market right now.Better load time fast track access and better display for ID3 tag. I've had the KDC-MP919 the first year it come out , slow at load up ,very small ID3 tag. I have a KDC-X859 best deck so far. I buy new decks every year. I've never put my songs in folders and it random plays the whole disc.The instruction read this for 'MP3 folder in random order'. I talk to the Kenwood rep and He said BIG changes for next year .Well if was you I would take the deck back and wait for the new ones.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Why Try; 01-11-2003 at 04:30 PM.
Why Try is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #9
SmokeOff

SmokeOff is on a distinguished road

have any of you tried the JVC SH909 i have had mine fof about a week it does a folder until its done and moves over to the next. Or the whole disc.
SmokeOff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2003, 03:31 AM   #10
OffroadGirl

I'm taking my current deck back to CarToys for credit and they don't sell JVC so that's out. I seriously considered the Kenwood 959 but I don't like the flip down face plate compared to the 919's motorized face plate that flips around to show all black (great for when I don't really need to take the face plate with me but I don't want the deck out there for all to see either).

Also, the 919 really shows a lot of ID3 info all at the same time because the font is smaller. It writes the song name and artist on one line and a lot of the time it fits. It also auto-scrolls and the space on the front of the unit is used really well so you can see that info plus album info and the clock all at once (with a little spinning CD for effect).

Yeah, the 959 has movies but Kenwood doesn't do as good of a job with it as Pioneer does (they're a little grainy). I don't really need the movies if I'm driving, anyway.

So that's it, gonna reburn all my CDs to put all the files in the root folder and that will do it. It sucks though cuz all my MP3s are named Song Name - Artist.mp3 so I'll have to rename them all to Artist - Song Name.mp3 to get them to alphabetize by artist. That's almost 1400 MP3s to rename so I definitely have some work to do.

Old 01-18-2003, 01:57 AM   #11
Why Try

Why Try is on a distinguished road

I had the KDC-959 Its nice but the KDC-859 Is alot nicer I think.
Why Try is offline   Reply With Quote