CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 04-23-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Audiobahn_VR4

0|\|」・ 1200 \/\/477$

Audiobahn_VR4 is on a distinguished road

What ga. speaker wire for 2000 Watts RMS?

I'm getting a 2000 watt sub and amp so my question is what ga. speaker wire should I use. I asked some people and they said 10 or 12 ga. would be fine. What do you guys think?
Audiobahn_VR4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
Higgles

1967cutlass

Higgles is infamous around these parts

i'd use 1/0 personally.
Higgles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
MY_ROLLA

MY_ROLLA is on a distinguished road

It's speaker wire, NOT power wire that is being asked...

8 Gauge should be sufficient.
MY_ROLLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Audiobahn_VR4

0|\|」・ 1200 \/\/477$

Do you know where I can buy some 8 ga. speaker wire, or could I just use power wire?

Old 04-23-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
voided

voided will become famous soon enough

just use power wire try and use some nicer quality stuff though not the walmart crap that sheds all over the place and leaves u with **** connecting all sorts of crazy power loops :P that can get messy and dangerous to ur equipment
voided is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2004, 02:46 AM   #6
delvryboy

Big Boyz use Big Ampz

delvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to behold

honestly, unless you are running the subs in canada and the amp in new york, there isn't a need for anything over 12awg
delvryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2004, 02:47 AM   #7
#1SomeGuy

#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute#1SomeGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvryboy
honestly, unless you are running the subs in canada and the amp in new york, there isn't a need for anything over 12awg
Correct...12 gauge wire will carry that amount of current a LOT further then you need to go. Just use 12 gauge, and if you're really paranoid use 10 gauge but anything over 12 is just gravy.
#1SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
fugyaself

fugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond reputefugyaself has a reputation beyond repute

Ill be using 10awg power wire for mine. Only because I ran out of 12awg though and I already have 100ft of it sitting around.
fugyaself is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2004, 03:59 AM   #9
Audiobahn_VR4

0|\|」・ 1200 \/\/477$

I think I'll go with 10 gauge just to be safe. Does anyone know where I can get some 10 ga. speaker wire? I know it's not easy to find 10 ga. speaker wire, I know none of the shops around where I live carry any. Or will I have to use 10 ga. power wire?

Old 04-26-2004, 06:18 AM   #10
KGUNC

KGUNC is on a distinguished road

Power wire and speaker wire are the same thing. Wire is wire.
KGUNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #11
delvryboy

Big Boyz use Big Ampz

delvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to beholddelvryboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobahn_VR4
I think I'll go with 10 gauge just to be safe. Does anyone know where I can get some 10 ga. speaker wire? I know it's not easy to find 10 ga. speaker wire, I know none of the shops around where I live carry any. Or will I have to use 10 ga. power wire?
save some money and buy 12awg

KennyG has some cool blue 12awg for $0.35 a foot in the for sale section

Old 04-26-2004, 06:44 AM   #12
Audiobahn_VR4

0|\|」・ 1200 \/\/477$

Well, I know power and speaker wire are the same kinds of wire, but speaker wire usually has the negative and positive wires twisted together so the signal quality is better. So thats what I was looking for.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:55 AM   #13
b0b

Mazda 6, ZooM ZooM

b0b is a name known to allb0b is a name known to allb0b is a name known to allb0b is a name known to allb0b is a name known to allb0b is a name known to all

umm, if you think that twisting the wires around each other will give you much better sound quality, why dont you just take 2 pieces of power wires and twist them up lol?
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #14
JBLFury

JBLFury is on a distinguished road

knukonceptz.com
JBLFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2004, 07:09 AM   #15
delvryboy

Big Boyz use Big Ampz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobahn_VR4
Well, I know power and speaker wire are the same kinds of wire, but speaker wire usually has the negative and positive wires twisted together so the signal quality is better. So thats what I was looking for.
actually, the majority of speaker wires are not twisted at all