CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 12-23-2005, 05:35 AM   #1
ironband

ironband is on a distinguished road

Ford Radio Removal tool not working...HELP!

I hope someone here can help me with this...

I'm in the process of installing a CD changer in my Ford Windstar for Christmas for my wife. A couple of days ago, I used a homemade radio removal tool (cut and bent coathanger) to get the radio out. It worked fine. I scoped things out, and figured I'd take care of business while my wife was out this evening. I put the radio back and everything was fine...

Well, I went out there tonight and tried to remove the radio - no dice. Thing wouldn't come out. So I ran down to the local auto parts store and bought the real tools. Still couldn't get the bloody thing out. Fought with it for over an hour and now I just have really sore fingers.

I'm on a real time crunch to get this thing installed before Christmas (and without my wife finding out, preferably), and obviously running out of time. Did I break a clip or something? Anybody know a trick to fix this without tearing apart the entire dash?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Andre
ironband is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
saiyaneye

saiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud ofsaiyaneye has much to be proud of

I have used a paper clip before on my bros '89 T-bird
saiyaneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
77'cj7

77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold77'cj7 is a splendid one to behold

The removal tools should work, but are hard to deal with sometimes. If you cant get it, then the next step is takin stuff appart. Dont kno about your vehicle, but in my ranger theres a seperate peice for the radio and heater controlls. I just popped that off and was able to get to the radio.
77'cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
sprackydoo

Location: "a 40oz to freedom is the only chance I have to feel good even though I feel bad" Sublime
sprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond reputesprackydoo has a reputation beyond repute

If I have a ford radio that doesn't want to cooperate I push em as away from each other with quite a bit of force and throw it around side to side. If that doesn't work take apart the dash or trim panel or whatever and you should be able to take the whole deal out and just throw the aftermarket dash kit on. If it's an aftermaket deck try to bend the tabs on the cage and slip the radio out that way, then put the other radio in that cage.

hehe yeah i've used coat hangers paper clips nails etc... the tools work better though, just never seem to have em
sprackydoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
TRIKDYA

TRIKDYA is on a distinguished road

ive always used two pieces of a coat hanger shaped like a U to take out my stock radios (have 3 fords.. 1 t-bird 2 mustangs). Push them out away from each other and pull the entire unit at the same time (PITA..but this is how they come out...at least for me).
TRIKDYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #6
catalin

catalin is on a distinguished road

Bend the tips of tools slightly outwards and then pull as your pushing the handles outward from each other.. Kind of hard to explain..

If you're installing a FM modulator you may be able to find a break in the antenna wiring that will allow you to plug the FM modulator in.
If all that doesn't work for you then you'll have to remove all visible screws around the deck to get it all out.

Good luck.
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote