CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 02-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
NHRA1877

NHRA1877 can only hope to improve

can a Kicker Solo-Baric s15d handle 1200 watts?

Hey guys, i posted about an amp earlier but now i have a new one. Im looking to run a round 15 inch s15d 4 ohm solo-baric with my rockford 1200 watt 4 channel amp. #1 how much can that sub handle #2 what can you all recomend for instal, do i need capacitor, how can i make the 4 channel amp work etc. #3 can i use welding cable vs monster cable, i can get welding cable for free and im sure that would get more power to it than monster cable. Thanks guys.
NHRA1877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-11-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Doodaddy

Doodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-suppor...s/SolodMan.pdf

That's the manual to your sub. No, it cannot handle 1200 watts.

Instead of purchasing a capacitor, upgrade the "Big 3" (If you don't know what that is, do a simple search, there are several discussions on it).

Make sure your box is sealed. These subs are not recommended for a ported enclosure.

Your amp may NOT be compatible with your sub. Can this amp be used in bridged mono mode? Does your sub have dual voice coils? If it does, you can use the amp in a 2 channel mode.

Wire is wire. Welding cable will be fine.
Doodaddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
TTU

TTU is just really niceTTU is just really niceTTU is just really niceTTU is just really nice

no... I busted my 12" L7 with 800 watts.
TTU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Altec88

Location: UP Michigan, Sasquatch's are REAL, stop denying it.
Altec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond reputeAltec88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU

First off what RF amp do you have? I suggest getting a new amp.

I'd give it 600-1000w and call it a day.
Altec88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
schultz6072

schultz6072 is just really niceschultz6072 is just really niceschultz6072 is just really niceschultz6072 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU
You know that was operator error.
schultz6072 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Immacomputer

Immacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that when he says 1200w, he doesn't mean RMS. I bet he has this amp:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...70FD544F5205F8
Immacomputer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #7
NHRA1877

Yup, thats the amp i have. I was hopeing i could run 2 channels to the sub and drop it to 600 then bridge it so theres like 900 watts? The reason i got the 4 channel was cause eventually i think i may go to 2 12`s that way i can run 2 channels into one and run 2 subs off it. But is there a way to make this amp work? i really do not wanna blow the sub.

As for the box, i bought one off my buddy, its angled at like 45 degrees and the sub is going to fut real tight in there, is there anything i should do to try and seal it better? should i fill it with any cotton?

As for the wire i was hopeing to use 4 gauge welding cable to the amp and 8 gauge to hook up the sub. Also in the box it goes from the terminal to the sub with 16 gauge wire, should i up grade that also?

Thanks guys right now i only have a basic system so im trying to get into mre detail and really learn alot more with this setup because i know it is going to pump some massive bass. Thanks and anything else you guys can help me with would be great!!

Old 02-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Immacomputer

Immacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond reputeImmacomputer has a reputation beyond repute

That sub is not going to work with that amp. It does not put out enough power for your sub. Do NOT judge an amp by it's peak power total. This will confuse many people who know what they're talking about. The number of channels does not decide how many speakers you can hook up to an amp. I can hook up 20 speakers to 1 amp if I wanted to and the final impedance was in the acceptable range for the amp.

What voice coil does it have? 2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm? I don't they made those in DVC but I may be wrong.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Doodaddy

Doodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDoodaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU
Clearly your fault.
Doodaddy is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
TTU

TTU is just really niceTTU is just really niceTTU is just really niceTTU is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy
Clearly your fault.

No, I'm pretty sure it was defective, because everything was set correctly.
TTU is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
NHRA1877

Thanks guys, the sub is a single coil 4 ohm, im getting the amp from pc richard and son so could somone help me pick out the best amp for this sub under 300? I would also like to be able to use the amp in the future if i ever wanted to go to 2 12`s so if you guys could help me pick out a good amp for this sub i would really appreciate it. Thanks

http://www.pcrichard.com/CGI-BIN/LAN...CEF05D+PCR+ENG

They may have more but thats what was on their website?

Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Immacomputer

This amp should be able to push what you have pretty well right now and will be great for future upgrades: http://ikesound.com/product-product_id/4231

Old 02-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
NHRA1877

Thats the problem, is im buying it on credit, im trying to build up my credit to buy a house in a few years, and you would be suprized how hard it is to get a decient credit card, so i ended up with a macy`s and a pc richard card. I dont have the cash to spend on a system right now as im puttin a roll bar in my race car camaro. So i`m doing this on credit, thats why im limited. they the first amp i bought was a alpine D12 with 600 rms at 2 ohms but returned that and got this, now im going to return this and get what ever you guys sugest next.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:24 AM   #14
NHRA1877

Just wondering, but the box i have is lined with cotton, just maybe 1 inch on all sides should i pull that back and silicone the sub more or leave it the way it came? also will it matter the 16 gauage thats in there or should i go bigger? looking to mount the sub tonight hopefully also should i silicone the sub in to seal it better or is that not nessicary

Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #15
Polecat

just Livin' Loud!

Polecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond reputePolecat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU
I had 2660 watts to my one L7 12.........
Polecat is offline   Reply With Quote