CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
dbaudio

dbaudio is on a distinguished road

SQ Subs: Focal KX33 vs. JL 12w6v2

Hey. I recently purchased a new Honda CR-V and im looking to do a major overhaul on the stock sound system. I've got the following in mind:

Eclipse CD5100 HU
Focal Polyglass 165v1 Comps (2 sets, both front and rear doors)
Alpine PDX 100.4 Amp

For subs, I'm looking for SQ overall. I'm not a basshead and won't be using my subs for SPL, though I would like a sub (or pair of subs) that I could turn up to show off to other drivers once in a while.

I was already set on either 1 or 2 JL 10w6v2's (powered by 2x JL 250/1 or 1x JL 300/2), but then I ran into a great deal on a Focal KX33 (powered by an Alpine PDX 600.1). I know the Focal would sound better...but all brand-bias aside, which sub would be better for my application?

I'm also open to other recommendations within the price range of $300 per sub.

Just a quick question aside from all this: Which combo would be better for my needs?

1x JL 10W7 + JL 500/1
-or-
2x JL 10w6 + JL 300/2

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
dbaudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
RyanM923

RyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond repute

What's your total budget for the whole system? I highly suggest not wasting your money on running the same quality speakers in the rear as you are up front (not running rear speakers would be even better). Go for the K2P set if you can afford it, instead of buying two sets of Polyglass components.

As far as power is concerned, you could still use that pdx amp (assuming you don't care about the price tag), but bridging a less expensive 4 channel amp would be a better option. Contact JasonPaul on here, and ask him about a quote on the zrs 5004 (200 watts x 2 bridged, great for the K2P set) and zrs 1000d (1000 watts at 1ohm, would be perfect for a pair of D4 W6V2's) from Cadence. They look damn nice and Cadence has always been built like tanks, especially their higher end stuff like the zrs line. I think you'd really be surprised on the kind of price you could get.

The K2P tweeter is MUCH more forgiving at high volumes than the Poly tweeter, and the K2P mid is on a whole nother level than it's Poly brother. Basically everything on the K2P set is leaps and bounds above that on the Polyglass set...

A pair of W6V2's would be great if you don't mind the price tag. Since there mainly used as strickly SQ subs, running them in a sealed box would be your best bet (especially since you seem more concerned about SQ than anything else.
RyanM923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
dbaudio

Thanks for the info. Reason why I planned on running 2 sets of Polyglass V1's is because my CR-V has speaker mounts in the rear doors similar to those of the front's. I know nobody would ride in the back anyway, but I was thinking about rear fill. I can't afford K2P's right now, and I probably won't because of the JL's. But I did walk across the Polyglass 165 V2S's. Should I get a pair of these for the front and then just some Focal Poly 165 CV1 coaxials for the rear? And would 100WRMS per channel be okay (Focal's specs say 75W nominal)?

The total budget for the system is going to be somewhere around $1600. Hopefully I can snag a few good deals on ebay and on the forums to save a bit.

So you think that 2 10w6v2-d4's would be better than one 10W7-d3? And yeah, I do over-stress the SQ factor. Don't know why, I guess im just looking for quality.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
RyanM923

RyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond reputeRyanM923 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're budget is $1600 (I'm assuming for speakers, amps, and sub(s)...no install), then let me get something put together here...

K2P's for $570 shipped (I highly suggest getting these. I doubt you'll need/want any rear speakers with a front stage consisting of these...).
Pair of 10" W6V2's for $536 shipped

That'll put you at $1106 before getting any amps. Send a PM to JasonPaul one here and ask about ordering one of these and one of these. That should put you right around $1600, give or take a few bucks. That'll allow you to get an amazing pair of components (I absolutely loved mine), two damn fine SQ subs, and still have some solid amps to run the whole thing.

How does that setup sound to you?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
dbaudio

Sounds awesome...and im already working on those Cadence Amps. Only problem with your solution is that:

1. I still need a HU (Eclipse CD5100 is around $350)
2. I need wiring and a Cap ($150 for all the wiring)
3. I need Dynamat for the whole car ($100 if I get lucky)

Lol...I just got the car and I'm investing in Mugen aero parts from Japan ($1700) as well as this audio system. Oh boy here we go....

Old 06-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #6
RyanM923

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaudio
Sounds awesome...and im already working on those Cadence Amps. Only problem with your solution is that:

1. I still need a HU (Eclipse CD5100 is around $350)
2. I need wiring and a Cap ($150 for all the wiring)
3. I need Dynamat for the whole car ($100 if I get lucky)

Lol...I just got the car and I'm investing in Mugen aero parts from Japan ($1700) as well as this audio system. Oh boy here we go....
With two sets of Polyglass components, JL amps, w6v2's, HU, and wiring...how'd you come up with $1600?

Old 06-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
dbaudio

I've been fishing on ebay and getting averages for everything. I'm in no rush to spend more on my new car anyway, as if what i've spent isn't already enough.

Anyway, i'm still constantly changing my mind...

2x JL 10w6v2's with a Cadence TXA1000D or 1x JL 13w6v2 with a TXA750D? There is about an $80 difference, no box included...what do you think?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #8
RyanM923

go with the dual 10" setup...more cone area = less stress on your subs to get the same output of less cone area.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

K2P's are an excellent speaker - personally I'd rather have a pair of those up front than the Polyglass set in the rear. Additionally, the typical rear door location is one of the most offensive locations for rearfill. That location is very noticable to the ear and it pulls the sound stage down and to the rear.

As for the subs, I'd lean toward the JL, but those are both high quality subs and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
ldexterldesign

ldexterldesign is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM923
What's your total budget for the whole system? I highly suggest not wasting your money on running the same quality speakers in the rear as you are up front (not running rear speakers would be even better). Go for the K2P set if you can afford it, instead of buying two sets of Polyglass components.

As far as power is concerned, you could still use that pdx amp (assuming you don't care about the price tag), but bridging a less expensive 4 channel amp would be a better option. Contact JasonPaul on here, and ask him about a quote on the zrs 5004 (200 watts x 2 bridged, great for the K2P set) and zrs 1000d (1000 watts at 1ohm, would be perfect for a pair of D4 W6V2's) from Cadence. They look damn nice and Cadence has always been built like tanks, especially their higher end stuff like the zrs line. I think you'd really be surprised on the kind of price you could get.

The K2P tweeter is MUCH more forgiving at high volumes than the Poly tweeter, and the K2P mid is on a whole nother level than it's Poly brother. Basically everything on the K2P set is leaps and bounds above that on the Polyglass set...

A pair of W6V2's would be great if you don't mind the price tag. Since there mainly used as strickly SQ subs, running them in a sealed box would be your best bet (especially since you seem more concerned about SQ than anything else.
i've owned a set of k2's for over 3yrs now - gorgeous.

i would go with jl for the subs. i've heard good stuff about the w3's (which i own) and even better stuff about the w6's. i'm on my way to pick up a pair of w3v3's this arvo, but will enquire about prices on w6's. you guys really get a great deal over there. jl is a lot more expensive to buy here in UK.

if the focal subs are anything like as good as the k2's i i would have to flip a coin over both manufacturers though.

lewis
ldexterldesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
dbaudio

But then again don't you get a better deal for Focal over there in Europe? I would love to live there someday. I can just imagine what I can find in terms of Hifi/Home Theater. B&W, Krell, McIntosh. Oh boy!

Old 06-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #12
dbaudio

oh, just another quick question- I listen to alot of techno and d&b, maybe a hip hop song thrown in here and there. I'm leaning toward sealed, as all the past installs i've done have been sealed, but I don't know. Is it time to turn the tide and go for ported?

Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
ldexterldesign

ldexterldesign is on a distinguished road

Quote:
oh, just another quick question- I listen to alot of techno and d&b, maybe a hip hop song thrown in here and there. I'm leaning toward sealed, as all the past installs i've done have been sealed, but I don't know. Is it time to turn the tide and go for ported?
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/index.php...d=33&Itemid=26
ldexterldesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #14
dbaudio

well, i'm just about ready to buy a sub (or pair) of subs. I was really going to go for a pair of the 10w6v2's but then it hit me...Some people have mentioned that I can get kick-*** SQ from the TC Sounds OEM 10.

My new question is, how would 1x OEM 10 compare to 1x JL 10w6v2? The power being given to each will obviously be different, but for the sake of comparision, which would have a better SQ output? The more and more I think of it, I just can't justify paying $550 for those pair of JL's, which look so hot to car thieves.

Yah, so. What do you think? Im pretty sure that the OEM 10 would sound good with a Cadence TXA1000D. Even at $175, can the OEM 10 deliver the same SQ as a JL 10w6v2?

Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 AM   #15
peter_euro

peter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond reputepeter_euro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well, i'm just about ready to buy a sub (or pair) of subs. I was really going to go for a pair of the 10w6v2's but then it hit me...Some people have mentioned that I can get kick-*** SQ from the TC Sounds OEM 10.

My new question is, how would 1x OEM 10 compare to 1x JL 10w6v2? The power being given to each will obviously be different, but for the sake of comparision, which would have a better SQ output? The more and more I think of it, I just can't justify paying $550 for those pair of JL's, which look so hot to car thieves.

Yah, so. What do you think? Im pretty sure that the OEM 10 would sound good with a Cadence TXA1000D. Even at $175, can the OEM 10 deliver the same SQ as a JL 10w6v2?
Your SQ does not come from your subs, majority lies in main speakers, install and tuning, if it does come from your subs, it is very small part of it... Have you listened to Focal comps yet? Depending on how you mount the drivers, especially tweets, they may not suit your tastes. Look at TC Sounds 2000 sub, a single 12in driver should suit your needs in a medium size box. Amps as already said, Jason is the man. Nobody can tell you how drivers compare to each other, they can only tell you their impression about these differences. Your own ears would have to give you the answer.
peter_euro is offline   Reply With Quote