CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Advanced

Old 10-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #1
Anarchi

Anarchi is on a distinguished road

Connecting a 200uf capacitor to remove bass

I have some 5.25" speakers in the car doors, running of a small Amp.

The issue is that the speakers are outputting too much bass, causing them to distort and vibrate the doors when bass is played. (The Amp only has a LPF )

So I have bought a 200uf 100v BiPolar Capacitor to decrease the frequencies below 200hz

I tested the capacitor inline of the (+) speaker wire, and it indeed works

Now the question I wanna ask, the front Speakers are 2-way Boston S55 (non component), which already has a built-in capacitor/inductor for the tweeter.

Q. Can both the tweeter driver and midrange driver both run off the new capacitor? Can I simply place the capacitor inline from the Amp to the speaker?

Or do I need to re-wire the speaker itself and connect the 200uf capacitor from the (+) Y point to the (+) of the driver (where it splits the + to the tweeter and mid-driver), so the tweeter doesnt have anything to do with the 200uf capacitor?

I hope that makes sense :P

[edit] for example:

(Just add the cap to the speaker wire)
Amp(+)->capacitor->Speaker wire (+)->speaker terminal(+)->Both speaker drivers

or

(modify the speaker)
Amp(+)->Speaker wire(+)->speaker terminal(+)->Y split->200uf cap->mid driver (bypass the tweeter)

Last edited by Anarchi; 10-13-2007 at 04:14 AM.
Anarchi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Kennyg

Kennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, you need to split the wiring of your speaker. You an wire your 200uf cap to the mid, then splice the wires to go the tweeter before your new cap, so as it's not involved with the tweeter's own cap.

BTW - why not just run the HPF on your amp?
Kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Anarchi

The Amp only has a LPF, its a Kenwood KAC-5202.

I tested it running the capacitor on the Amp side and it sounded ok.

The Cap lets the high frequencies through, so the tweeters cap should be ok, correct?

I mean, you can run multiple caps in series to get a desired uf rating (connect a 200uf cap to a 50uf cap to get 250uf), so I cant see how combining the 200uf cap with the tweeters cap could do any harm.

If I do run the cap straight from the amp without modding the speaker, what are the disadvantages? Its not going to blow up or anything right?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Kennyg

Kennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond reputeKennyg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchi
The Amp only has a LPF, its a Kenwood KAC-5202.

I tested it running the capacitor on the Amp side and it sounded ok.

The Cap lets the high frequencies through, so the tweeters cap should be ok, correct?

I mean, you can run multiple caps in series to get a desired uf rating (connect a 200uf cap to a 50uf cap to get 250uf), so I cant see how combining the 200uf cap with the tweeters cap could do any harm.

If I do run the cap straight from the amp without modding the speaker, what are the disadvantages? Its not going to blow up or anything right?
www.bcae1.com
Kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Anarchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyg

Already checked that site, couldnt find an answer