CarAudioForum.com

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #1
nash8

nash8 is on a distinguished road

tweeter location

I was told on my jeep forum that I should mount my tweeters low around my woofer where the kick is. I always thought you wanted a little higher than that, or is it all basically trial/error?
nash8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash8
I was told on my jeep forum that I should mount my tweeters low around my woofer where the kick is. I always thought you wanted a little higher than that, or is it all basically trial/error?
Wanna find out for yourself?

Grab some double-sided foam mounting tape and experiment with tweeters in various positions in your car, and different aiming options in those locations. I'd trust my own personal experience with my equipment in my car over something I read online .

Improperly aimed tweeters mounted low can result in poor stage height. Compensating for low stage height by mounting tweeters high (A-pillers, upper doors) can bring the stage up, but if mounted too far away from the mids things might not blend too well, so you may then have to experiment swapping phase of the tweeters and/or mids. Generally, mounting tweeters within a handspan of the mid shouldn't cause too many issues, and mounting above the mid should still get you some decent stage height.

I don't know what you've got for components, but listening to them in all possible locations, both on- and off-axis should give you a good feel for what you'll need to do to get things right for you.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
nash8

nash8 is on a distinguished road

Yeah thats kinda what I planned on doing, I was just looking for some good starting points, and I normally wouldn't listen to people from the jeep forums about car audio, but this guy actually knew what he was talking about. He basically said the same thing as you, but a little different.

Another member said that 96 and older XJ's had stock tweeter mounting places under the dash for the larado's with the stock jensen sound system. Do you know anything about this?
nash8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash8
Yeah thats kinda what I planned on doing, I was just looking for some good starting points, and I normally wouldn't listen to people from the jeep forums about car audio, but this guy actually knew what he was talking about. He basically said the same thing as you, but a little different.

Another member said that 96 and older XJ's had stock tweeter mounting places under the dash for the larado's with the stock jensen sound system. Do you know anything about this?
My first (and only) XJ was the '98 I still run today, so I can't comment...other than the earlier ones don't have quite the same depth problem in the front door locations- they have vent windows, and the roll-up portion of the side window doesn't extend into the OEM speaker locations in the doors. The 1st generation XJ (Cherokee) lasted from '84-'96, so I'm sure there were many incarnations of factory setups. I wouldn't consider a factory Jensen system to be a good thing .

Jimi77 has some pics on Sounddomain of his Cherokee's door setup. Mine is similar in principal, but I've mounted a shallower speaker behind the stock door grill, and my tweeters are slightly lower, farther forward, using angle-mount cups aimed approximately at the headrest opposite each location...I came to mount them there based on the location which did everything the best (for me) when mocking things up and doing some listening. With a little T/A, my door speakers' locations are perfect for my tastes, and I wouldn't change a thing in this regard. A PM to Jimi would probably get you his thoughts on the subject (and maybe a link to his install)- he's a very knowledgeable member and I'll bet he put a lot of thought into his install as well.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Try the a-pillar and kick location. The kick panel area is really buried in the XJ, so I'd look for a forward location in the kick panel. When you try the a-pillar location, throw some towels up on the dash to absorb reflections. If you end up liking the a-pillar location better, then you'll need to get a dash mat to absorb reflections. The XJ isn't the most acoustically friendly vehicle.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote