CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
bu5ch1337

bu5ch1337 is on a distinguished road

Subwoofer box. Circle vs rectangle port

Hey guys

I'm building my box and i have 2 kenwoods W3011 with a Kenwood 9104D amp.. And i was wondering what is the difference between the 2 kinds of ports (circle,rectangle). And with the circle port what piping can i use?

If anyone can help that will be great.

Thanks
bu5ch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
malmeid2

malmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond repute

"Port wave velocity will be approximately equal to port area, for most shapes of port. Port noise from turbulence depends on the surface area to perimeter value of the port, so other things being equal, a rectangular port will generate less noise than a circular port. It will also have somewhat more losses than a circular port, i.e. be less efficient. Slotted ports tend to be inefficient but clean. The extreme form of slot loading is a distributed port, lots of very thin slots. These add a lot of damping to the speaker, and can sound great with a high Qts woofer. As for port noise, most port noise comes from the port end that interfaces with the air. It's easy to taper a circular port outwards so that it forms a smooth interface with the air, but not so easy with a rectangular port."

As for port material for a circular port, most people go with PVC because it's cheap, durable and easy to use.
malmeid2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
bu5ch1337

bu5ch1337 is on a distinguished road

can anyone else help?

What is better?
bu5ch1337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
malmeid2

malmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu5ch1337 View Post
can anyone else help?

What is better?
Did you not read what I posted? Rectangular ports can sound cleaner if built correctly but are less efficient. Circular ports are more efficient, so they can be smaller, but at the same time you may experience some extra, unwanted port noise. What exactly can't you understand?
malmeid2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
sruggles1976

sruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud ofsruggles1976 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu5ch1337 View Post
can anyone else help?

What is better?
Personal opinion = I like slots!!
sruggles1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sruggles1976 View Post
Personal opinion = I like slots!!
I like sluts too
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
GiveMeBassPlox

GiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond reputeGiveMeBassPlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by only126db View Post
I like sluts too
GiveMeBassPlox is offline   Reply With Quote