CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
royale

royale is on a distinguished road

How to test subwoofer and amp works

Hi, I am going to pick up a sub and an amp next week. Is there anyway to test if they works. Both the seller and my car arn't wired up. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
royale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a car battery charger you can use that as a power supply, if not and the vehicles arent wired you cant test the amp.

The sub you can test with a cordless drill battery and by looking closely at the spider and leads to make sure there is no damage to them, or use a digital multimeter to test for DC resistance of the voice coils(s).

99% of the time the DC resistance will be under the speakers rating.....

4ohm speaker = 3-4ohm
3ohm speaker = 2-3ohm
2ohm speaker = 1-2ohm

Or there abouts.
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
royale

I'm totally noob at this car audio stuff. How to test if subs are working using the battery? And is there any other ways to test if amps are working?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by royale View Post
I'm totally noob at this car audio stuff. How to test if subs are working using the battery? And is there any other ways to test if amps are working?
Connect a wire to each speaker terminal, then touch the + of battery to one wire and - to the other really quickly, the speaker will move, do it quickly because speakers are made for ac voltage not dc.

Thats the only way to test an amp unless you have an ac-dc converter with atleast 5 amps just to get the amp fired up, then run a portable cd player/mp3 player to the amp, you will not be able to run the amp full tilt but enough to test for sound.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
royale

I see... The same thing can be done on a battery right? Heard its safer on a battery.

I guess the best solution is to get my car wired up so when picking up the sub and amps I can just plug and play right?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
only126db

Banned

Quote:
I see... The same thing can be done on a battery right? Heard its safer on a battery.

I guess the best solution is to get my car wired up so when picking up the sub and amps I can just plug and play right?
On a battery charger there is a better chance to see if the amplifier will not let noise into your system.

A battery will give you cleaner power and have no noise.

The amp may test out good just on a battery but once you install it in a vehicle and start the vehicle thats where things can change drasticaly from the dirty power output of the alternator.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
TimmyB187

TimmyB187 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinazv08 View Post
Ball valve is durable and usually work to achieve perfect shutoff even after years of disuse. They are therefore an excellent choice for shutoff applications . Ball valve do not offer the fine control that may be necessary in throttling applications but are sometimes used for this purpose.
What is this??? I keep going on threads and keep seeing this. Is thos site for real, or just people F,ing around? Sorry i signed up if thats the case.
TimmyB187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
TimmyB187

TimmyB187 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Hi, I am going to pick up a sub and an amp next week. Is there anyway to test if they works. Both the seller and my car arn't wired up. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!
When I bought my amps off of ebay I got them bench tested at a car stereo installer near me. But its prob not like your case, where your picking it up and paying for it. If they my amps didnt work i could of sent em back for being DOD thru paypal. I dont trust many people now a days.
TimmyB187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
only126db

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB187 View Post
What is this??? I keep going on threads and keep seeing this. Is thos site for real, or just people F,ing around? Sorry i signed up if thats the case.
Spammers........