CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Endlessfight

Endlessfight will become famous soon enough

Are Kicker amps any good?

Just curious,
do they rate to true power??? I noticed their 4 channel is rated at 325x2 bridged for $200.00 compared to JL Audio's A4300 rated at 220x2 for $230
Endlessfight is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
SQrewed

SQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to behold

I think Kicker's amplifiers are pretty solid. If you find one that does the power you need for an affordable price, go for it- you could do much worse. They're pretty pricey in my area and aren't the best bang per buck compared to brands like Cadence and Audioque, but I don't imagine the performance will disappoint you if you can afford the price of admission.
SQrewed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
blue stang

blue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these parts

The power output kicker gives in the specifications is actually underrated. when you buy the amp you get a certificate of the actual power output. My zx750.1 has a true output of 803 watts rms. I've heard others rated as high as 900 watts rms. As far as quality, both kicker and JL are good. Go with whatever fits your system best and is cheaper.
blue stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Endlessfight

Thanks for the info!
I'm probably just going to get a JL Audio, but I noticed those Kickers are cheaper and rated at higher RMS.
But, I already made the mistake of trying a Cadence TXA-3004.
I know JL's hit hard...my bro has the E4300 and its awesome.
Just lookin for the best price and most power.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
HookedOnHifonic

Banned

HookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlessfight View Post
Thanks for the info!
I'm probably just going to get a JL Audio, but I noticed those Kickers are cheaper and rated at higher RMS.
I have a ZX1000.1 and the birthsheet says 1202!!!!
HookedOnHifonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
RastaMan

RastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond reputeRastaMan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
What was wrong with the cadence?

Amps don't 'hit'. Subs and speakers do.

Your looking for the best price and most power. Looks like you've found your amp, Kicker is clean and reliable. Cheaper, more power...having a JL amp won't make your system sound any better.
RastaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
blue stang

blue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these partsblue stang is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnHifonic View Post
... Nice!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
HookedOnHifonic

Banned

HookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaMan View Post
What was wrong with the cadence?

Amps don't 'hit'. Subs and speakers do.

Your looking for the best price and most power. Looks like you've found your amp, Kicker is clean and reliable. Cheaper, more power...having a JL amp won't make your system sound any better.
Yes, im sure he thinks this because we diss amps like power acoustik and legacy and so forth, talking about how they are way overratted, its the same thing with JL amps, everyone says there systems hit hard with JL amps because they put out exact if not more wattage than there supposed too, therefore looking flawless

Old 02-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
Endlessfight

A JL will sound a lot better than the junk amp I have now.
The Cadence, overheated and was no where near as powerful as a JL Audio A4300....you get what you pay for.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
SQrewed

SQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to beholdSQrewed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaMan View Post
...having a JL amp won't make your system sound any better.
True, and depending on the model amp you choose, using a JL amp might mean your electrical system might get to work a little harder...R.I.P.S. regulated power supplies are great in that you get constant output independent of input voltage, but if you'll be cranking up the music with the ignition key off for any length of time, the regulated amp can sap your starting battery that much quicker- this might also be a factor to consider when buying .

Don't get me wrong, I like JL, but they cost a mint and they might require you to upgrade some wiring under the hood to get the most out of them in certain install conditions. For higher output Slash series amps, I'd be doing the big three upgrade and using the largest gauge power wire necessary, and a HO alternator might be worth thinking about if you intend to play things loud on a regular basis in some vehicles with weaker factory alternators.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
Endlessfight

Now that is interesting! The JL Audio E4300 my bro installed in his '98 Blazer.....his alternator went bad right after the install...hmmmmmmmmm
We broke down at the airport, went back later and replaced it.
I was wondering if that was what killed it.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
SQrewed

Quote:
A JL will sound a lot better than the junk amp I have now.
The Cadence, overheated and was no where near as powerful as a JL Audio A4300....you get what you pay for.
As long as the Cadence didn't shut down or go into thermal protect mode, throwing noticeable heat off the heat sink doesn't indicate a design fault. Something hot to the touch doesn't necessarily equate to "overheated." The TXA series use a large heat sink to get the heat away from internals effectively, and as long as the amp is able to dissipate enough of that heat to remain reliable, it is designed OK. Some designs are more efficient, thermally or otherwise, and that usually factors into price. Small efficient amps typically cost more than the larger Cadence models, so if that's important to you, then factor it in when you go shopping.

You do realize that the A series is JL's budget line of amplifiers, yes? They don't get nearly as good press as the Slash series in terms of raw power on-tap, and if you'll mostly be comparing Kicker to the A series from JL then I'd be tempted to look at the Kicker amps as better buys in terms of the dollar/watt ratios. I believe you do get what you pay for (to a point), but that doesn't mean there aren't solid performers for those with lower budgets .

Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
HookedOnHifonic

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnHifonic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue stang View Post
... Nice!!!

here is the proof:

http://s688.photobucket.com/albums/v...t=P2110002.jpg

Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
blue stang

You know, If I had the money, I would love to get the Warhorse.
http://www.kicker.com/warhorse

Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
Endlessfight

Alright....the battles on!
Kicker ZX650.4 VS. JL Audio G4500