CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
taylor3333

taylor3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hook up amp without RCA connectors in stock headunit?

Im trying to build a system for a friend. She has a stock head unit. Its a 1999 Jeep Cherokee. There are no RCA connectors on her stock head unit. This is a birthday present. box, sub, amp, wiring, and im going to install it. But I dont want to buy a head unit for her lol. So is there any way i can still hook up the amp without RCA connectors outputs on the head unit? Like a adapter or something?

Thanks in advance.
taylor3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 03-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

Line out converters (LOCs):

http://www.millionbuy.com/scoloc80.html
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
duster_do86

duster_do86 is a glorious beacon of lightduster_do86 is a glorious beacon of lightduster_do86 is a glorious beacon of lightduster_do86 is a glorious beacon of lightduster_do86 is a glorious beacon of lightduster_do86 is a glorious beacon of light

you can either do that or use the high level inputs on the amp. The signal coming from the stereo is a much higher voltage than what would come out of the RCA outs in an aftermarket stereo. Wiring RCA plugs into factory wiring would cause more volts than the amp can handle to travel to it causing problems with overheating and possibly ruining the amp. Typically an amp can handle up to about 6 volts with the rca plugs (the gain is to adjust for how many volts you're receiving from the head unit). The high level inputs can accept more volts, so when you wire into them you might not fry your amp. The reason I say might, is because if the car has a factory amp in it, it might be sending near 20 volts to the amp and you would have the same problem.

I would go with what sandt proposed.
duster_do86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
nabissssco

nabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond repute

if you do use a loc try to get a good one, not those ****ty walmart ones. make sure you get a good wiring diagram for the stock stereo so you know your using the correct wires for everything and dont forget to use butt connectors not elec tape.
nabissssco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
taylor3333

taylor3333 is an unknown quantity at this point

would this one work fine?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
taylor3333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

No. Use the scosche I linked.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
horsemanwill

horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

show us the amp you plan on using. i say this because some newer amps will let you just splice some rca ends to the speaker wires from the deck and let you use that for a signal. i believe mtx does it as well as some others. then there is always the amps with the high level inputs too.
horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
nabissssco

nabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3333 View Post
i dont know, you get what you pay for and thats only like $6 reg price so i find it hard to think it would work too great. i did an install for a guy i know and he bought the ****ty walmart one and that pos was more money than the one your looking at and it sucked ballz. maby someone here has used it and could tell you first hand how the quality is but i would try to find another.
nabissssco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
horsemanwill

horsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond reputehorsemanwill has a reputation beyond repute

alright alright i confess i've used that legacy one YEARS ago like about 16 years to be exact. imo i wouldn't skimp out on that part of the install if you plan on doing her a favor. in the end YOU will have to replace that trust me i know.
horsemanwill is offline   Reply With Quote