CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Subwoofers

Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
bigmoeman786

bigmoeman786 is on a distinguished road

Stuck between 2 w3v3's or a single w6v2...

Hey guys. Its been a long time since i posted here, but I'm in a dilemma again. I need to upgrade my subwoofers. I'm currently running an Alpine 122D 12" dual 2 ohm voice coil subwoofer. It was running off an Alpine MRP-M500 500 watt RMS amp.

I upgraded to a JL 500/1 500 watt RMS amp. I decided to upgrade my subwoofer. I've been to a couple of local shops here for advice and I get a different repsonse everywhere. Some tell me to go with three 8's; some say 2 10's, and others say two 12's. I listen to a lot of rock, trance and the occasional hip hop/Rnb.

I narrowed my choices down to either 2 12" JL W3V3 D4's in a sealed enclosure, or a single 12" JL W6V2 also in a sealed enclosure. I'm more of an SQ guy than SPL. I want good, crisp, clear bass with the occasional thump to show off once in a while.

I'm currently running a JL 300/4 and Focal 165KF K2's on the interior with stock pioneer 6x9's in the rear ( I usually fade 70% to the front anyway). So any and all suggestions would be very helpful.
bigmoeman786 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
richardsayzz

richardsayzz is on a distinguished road

I have a w6 10"

and my friend has 2 W3's

his is louder...but mine sounds much MORE crisp and clear
richardsayzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
Bickert19

Bickert19 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoeman786 View Post
Hey guys. Its been a long time since i posted here, but I'm in a dilemma again. I need to upgrade my subwoofers. I'm currently running an Alpine 122D 12" dual 2 ohm voice coil subwoofer. It was running off an Alpine MRP-M500 500 watt RMS amp.

I upgraded to a JL 500/1 500 watt RMS amp. I decided to upgrade my subwoofer. I've been to a couple of local shops here for advice and I get a different repsonse everywhere. Some tell me to go with three 8's; some say 2 10's, and others say two 12's. I listen to a lot of rock, trance and the occasional hip hop/Rnb.

I narrowed my choices down to either 2 12" JL W3V3 D4's in a sealed enclosure, or a single 12" JL W6V2 also in a sealed enclosure. I'm more of an SQ guy than SPL. I want good, crisp, clear bass with the occasional thump to show off once in a while.

I'm currently running a JL 300/4 and Focal 165KF K2's on the interior with stock pioneer 6x9's in the rear ( I usually fade 70% to the front anyway). So any and all suggestions would be very helpful.
What kind of car is it going in?
Bickert19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond repute

A pair of W3v3's will have more output and less distortion at any given position on the volume knob than the single W6v2. The pair of W3v3's win this battle hands down...and fwiw, both subs are more than suitable/adequate for the type of music you listen to. Just set your levels properly and you'll be good to go. The only reasons to go with the single 12W6v2 would be that it would be cheaper and it would take up less space.

Last edited by luvdeftonz; 05-05-2009 at 06:25 AM.
luvdeftonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
bigmoeman786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickert19 View Post
What kind of car is it going in?
The sub(s) woiuld be going in a 2003 accord sedan. Trunk is pretty big. Its already dynamatted though.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
bigmoeman786

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdeftonz View Post
A pair of W3v3's will have more output and less distortion at any given position on the volume knob than the single W6v2. The pair of W3v3's win this battle hands down...and fwiw, both subs are more than suitable/adequate for the type of music you listen to. Just set your levels properly and you'll be good to go. The only reasons to go with the single 12W6v2 would be that it would be cheaper and it would take up less space.
Evryone tells me soemthing different. I hear that the W6 is one of JL's best SQ subs. I already got a really good quote at a local authorized JL dealer. He said he would gave me two W3V3-4's in a sealed, built-to-spec enclosure for $425. I didn't ask yet about the W6V2 yet.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
malmeid2

malmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond reputemalmeid2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdeftonz View Post
agreed.
malmeid2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Rare177

Rare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoeman786 View Post
Evryone tells me soemthing different. I hear that the W6 is one of JL's best SQ subs. I already got a really good quote at a local authorized JL dealer. He said he would gave me two W3V3-4's in a sealed, built-to-spec enclosure for $425. I didn't ask yet about the W6V2 yet.
you have to look into a few things, yes the W6 is JLs best SQ driver, and one of the best SQ drivers in general, but you have to remember, the more power fed to a sub the more distortion, 2 W3s will be alot louder than 1 W6, so you will need to give the W3s less power to reach a certain volume compared to the W6.

take this as an example.

you have your W3s running on 1000wrms between the 2
you have 1 W6 with 500wrms.

your volume is on 25/30 for the W6, it sounds a hell of alot better on 15/30.

now, you can put your W3s on about 10/30 to get the same loudness as your W6 on 25/30, the W3s, so the W3s will not be pushed to their limits where as the W6 will, when a driver is pushed it's SQ goes down hill alot

i would usually compare things in terms of watts but i tried making that as simple as possible, end conclussion

the W3s will need alot less power to get as loud as the W6, so less distortion in the W3s, also the W3s have a nicer punch than the W6.

W3s will sound better and be louder.

if you want to go with 2 W6s though, that will put the W3s to shame.

in theory, doubeling cone area and power = 10db increase on SPL, doubeling cone area or power alone is a 3db increase. now a single W6 and a single W3 on 500wrms will get about as loud as each other, add the extra W3 in and you have a 10db increase, so to reach that level with the single W6 you will need to tripple its power pretty much, (4000 watts) that would blow a W6 pretty quickly and it would sound terrible.
Rare177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
bigmoeman786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare177 View Post
you have to look into a few things, yes the W6 is JLs best SQ driver, and one of the best SQ drivers in general, but you have to remember, the more power fed to a sub the more distortion, 2 W3s will be alot louder than 1 W6, so you will need to give the W3s less power to reach a certain volume compared to the W6.

take this as an example.

you have your W3s running on 1000wrms between the 2
you have 1 W6 with 500wrms.

your volume is on 25/30 for the W6, it sounds a hell of alot better on 15/30.

now, you can put your W3s on about 10/30 to get the same loudness as your W6 on 25/30, the W3s, so the W3s will not be pushed to their limits where as the W6 will, when a driver is pushed it's SQ goes down hill alot

i would usually compare things in terms of watts but i tried making that as simple as possible, end conclussion

the W3s will need alot less power to get as loud as the W6, so less distortion in the W3s, also the W3s have a nicer punch than the W6.

W3s will sound better and be louder.

if you want to go with 2 W6s though, that will put the W3s to shame.

in theory, doubeling cone area and power = 10db increase on SPL, doubeling cone area or power alone is a 3db increase. now a single W6 and a single W3 on 500wrms will get about as loud as each other, add the extra W3 in and you have a 10db increase, so to reach that level with the single W6 you will need to tripple its power pretty much, (4000 watts) that would blow a W6 pretty quickly and it would sound terrible.
Thank you. I think its final now. Everyone has been telling me to get the two W3's vs that sing W6. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #10
sschwoegler

sschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these parts

yes i agree with theese people. i want to let you know that the w3v3 is not a dvc as you think. the w3v2 was and the w6v2 is. the 2 12 w3v3 will be loud on the 500/1 but can handle 500w daily each. the w6v2 will go well with the 500/1 also but make sure you set your bass boost and gain responsibly or you will get clipping and that will sound like a mess. it may just be me but i would break in a single w6v2 on low gain for a few hours before you feed it the whole 600w the 500/1 is capable of puting out.
sschwoegler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #11
luvdeftonz

luvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond reputeluvdeftonz has a reputation beyond repute

With two 12W3v3's and a properly constructed and designed enclosure (and proper level setting), he shouldn't need any boost. A pair of 12W3v3's have about 75% more swept volume than a single 12W6v2, which most people would never say is a "quiet" subwoofer (not that it's a beast...). If he's starving for more output, his best bet would be to port them. If he wants to increase efficiency and low end output, he should make a large(r) sealed enclosure. JL's recommendations on ported enclosures is usually spot on, but I'm not a fan of their sealed enclosure recommendations, which I think are too small.
luvdeftonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #12
sschwoegler

sschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these partssschwoegler is infamous around these parts

the 2 12 w3v3 ported dim. are 38"W 15"H 17.875"D 1.65"slot port on edges of box. L-Port. pretty damn big but it pounds with my JL G-max amp at aprox. 1200w and two batts.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

that is an excellent deal on the w3s grab them asap...
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
sschwoegler

yeah try to put them in the ported box i told you about. you can email JL and they will send you specs right away. or PM me and i will email you

Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #15
bigmoeman786

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwoegler View Post
yeah try to put them in the ported box i told you about. you can email JL and they will send you specs right away. or PM me and i will email you
I was never a fan of ported boxes. Too loud for me. I just clean, crisp bass.