CarAudioForum.com

Old 05-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

Knukonceptz

So i finally decided i needed to get going on my sub install. I have the 5 channel amp (Cadence FXA-5100) to power the whole system. I have just been running it bridged to my comps (300WRMS/Channel), and have just had a cheap 8Ga kit to power it. When I get down to building the enclosure for those sweet Adire Koda 10s I have sitting here, I will need more cable.

From what I read the Kolossus 4Ga cable is the same size as 2AWG cable. So rather then welding cable and buying up fuse holders, etc. So I went ahead and ordered their KOL-AK4 kit. That way when I get everything complete I can have all matching cable (speaker and power), so it works. Here is the kit:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KOL-AK4

I also wanted to get several feet extra to run to a remote power lug I installed in the car under the large fuse panel cover. The goal is to keep the install invisible, so a hidden remote power lug makes sense, for the extra alt feed, and the bright blue cable. So I ordered 8 feet of the Kolossus Fleks cable, thinking that was what I was also getting in the kit... But I was wrong. I got the standard Kolossus cable in the kit. No big deal, and in reality now that I see them, I am glad. Here is the Fleks:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KFX4BL

I pulled the Kolossus Fleks cable out and was blown away by how damn flexible it was. It was like warm butter. Extremely impressive. But when I looked at the cable I was disappointed. It was, very definitely, 4AWG . SO I crimped my ends, and ran the cable from the battery to my remote and grumbled about false advertising. I did like the jacket, it seemed very tough and I really liked the color.

Then I grabbed the grommet from my kit, and drilled the hole. I stuck the grommet in and grabbed the KOL cable, and I was pleasantly surprised... THIS was 2AWG. But damn, it was very stiff compared to the Fleks. No big deal, I knew it would work. I really like the color of the cables too. I think the smoke ground looks better then the pearl white I have seen, and I like the see thru blue over the solid blue in their KLMX kits.

The kit is very nice. The cable is all very nice quality, and it is indeed 2AWG . The connectors are the standard fare, but the mini fuse holder was surprisingly nice. The fuse is slotted so you can loosen the retainer bolts and drop it in, but the tolerances are so close in the holder that I had to remove the one bolt to get it to fit. A minor annoyance, but one worth noting. It looks great, with the smoke cover and brushed nickle fittings though.

I paid $40 for the kit. IMO well worth the price. The Kolossus is about 1 size larger AWG then advertised, but the jacket is just a hair bigger then standard AWG should be. I loved the fleksibility of the Fleks cable too, but be sure to buy the AWG you want, and don't expect it to be larger, like I did. I wrestled with 0/1 or 4, and figured 2GA was plenty, but 4GA would be cutting it close. If i had gotten the Fleks in the kit, I would have been worried about it.

All in all, I would recommend the kit in a heartbeat. It isn't perfect, but since the box didn't say "Adire" for the nameplate, I didn't expect it to be .

RIP Adire Audio

***Edit - I did not use the RCAs as mine were already run, but I think pjhabit has some interesting (and negative) feedback in this post and i dug further for more in this post and finally, he finished in this post. I want to be thorough, and to exclude this information would be a poor way to do that.

Last edited by sandt38; 05-13-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added pjhabit's experiance
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
HookedOnHifonic

Banned

HookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these partsHookedOnHifonic is infamous around these parts

I just ordered some of the same 4 ga. cable and am currently using it, it's very good stuff, and right around 2/3 Ga. like everyone says
HookedOnHifonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Stangman67

Stangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond repute

My Knu fleks 4 gauge was significantly larger than any of the other 4 gauge wires I have ever used, I had to use 2 gauge terminals because the 4 gauge ones were too small
Stangman67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
sandt38

Associate

sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachfeen View Post
My Knu fleks 4 gauge was significantly larger than any of the other 4 gauge wires I have ever used, I had to use 2 gauge terminals because the 4 gauge ones were too small
Hmmm, the cable I got fit my 4Ga terminals with plenty of room to spare. A lot of cheap cable has an outward appearance of 4GA because of a thick jacket, but the copper is closer to 8GA. IMO the Fleks cable they sent me was correctly labeled as 4AWG. The Kolossus was labeled as 4AWG,but was in reality more like 2AWG.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

Their Kolossus Kable has served me well but I'll never use their RCA Kables again (complete junk in my experience).
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
sandt38

Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
Their Kolossus Kable has served me well but I'll never use their RCA Kables again (complete junk in my experience).
I already had RCAs run so I didn't use them. They felt like they were a really nice quality though . What issues did you have?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandt38 View Post
I already had RCAs run so I didn't use them. They felt like they were a really nice quality though . What issues did you have?
Connectors were always coming apart, 2 of 4 channels went bad while using tones to set gains, then came the noise issues

Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
sandt38

Associate

Quote:
Connectors were always coming apart, 2 of 4 channels went bad while using tones to set gains, then came the noise issues
Like they were loose in the amp, or like the cables were separating?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
pjhabit

Quote:
Like they were loose in the amp, or like the cables were separating?
IDK what you'd call it, but the protective piece that screws onto the connector wouldn't stay together (like the cables were separating)

Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
sandt38

Associate

Quote:
IDK what you'd call it, but the protective piece that screws onto the connector wouldn't stay together (like the cables were separating)

Bummer... duly noted and I will link your experience in the initial post.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
pjhabit

Quote:
Bummer... duly noted and I will link your experience in the initial post.
No need to do that, I had a different set than what came w/ your kit (the clunky azz Krystal RCA's). Though it was enough to detour me from using them again, it could just be filed under "pj's dumb luck"

Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
mikel7829

mikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond reputemikel7829 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So i finally decided i needed to get going on my sub install. I have the 5 channel amp (Cadence FXA-5100) to power the whole system. I have just been running it bridged to my comps (300WRMS/Channel), and have just had a cheap 8Ga kit to power it. When I get down to building the enclosure for those sweet Adire Koda 10s I have sitting here, I will need more cable.

From what I read the Kolossus 4Ga cable is the same size as 2AWG cable. So rather then welding cable and buying up fuse holders, etc. So I went ahead and ordered their KOL-AK4 kit. That way when I get everything complete I can have all matching cable (speaker and power), so it works. Here is the kit:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KOL-AK4

I also wanted to get several feet extra to run to a remote power lug I installed in the car under the large fuse panel cover. The goal is to keep the install invisible, so a hidden remote power lug makes sense, for the extra alt feed, and the bright blue cable. So I ordered 8 feet of the Kolossus Fleks cable, thinking that was what I was also getting in the kit... But I was wrong. I got the standard Kolossus cable in the kit. No big deal, and in reality now that I see them, I am glad. Here is the Fleks:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KFX4BL

I pulled the Kolossus Fleks cable out and was blown away by how damn flexible it was. It was like warm butter. Extremely impressive. But when I looked at the cable I was disappointed. It was, very definitely, 4AWG . SO I crimped my ends, and ran the cable from the battery to my remote and grumbled about false advertising. I did like the jacket, it seemed very tough and I really liked the color.

Then I grabbed the grommet from my kit, and drilled the hole. I stuck the grommet in and grabbed the KOL cable, and I was pleasantly surprised... THIS was 2AWG. But damn, it was very stiff compared to the Fleks. No big deal, I knew it would work. I really like the color of the cables too. I think the smoke ground looks better then the pearl white I have seen, and I like the see thru blue over the solid blue in their KLMX kits.

The kit is very nice. The cable is all very nice quality, and it is indeed 2AWG . The connectors are the standard fare, but the mini fuse holder was surprisingly nice. The fuse is slotted so you can loosen the retainer bolts and drop it in, but the tolerances are so close in the holder that I had to remove the one bolt to get it to fit. A minor annoyance, but one worth noting. It looks great, with the smoke cover and brushed nickle fittings though.

I paid $40 for the kit. IMO well worth the price. The Kolossus is about 1 size larger AWG then advertised, but the jacket is just a hair bigger then standard AWG should be. I loved the fleksibility of the Fleks cable too, but be sure to buy the AWG you want, and don't expect it to be larger, like I did. I wrestled with 0/1 or 4, and figured 2GA was plenty, but 4GA would be cutting it close. If i had gotten the Fleks in the kit, I would have been worried about it.

All in all, I would recommend the kit in a heartbeat. It isn't perfect, but since the box didn't say "Adire" for the nameplate, I didn't expect it to be .

RIP Adire Audio

***Edit - I did not use the RCAs as mine were already run, but I think pjhabit has some interesting (and negative) feedback in this post and i dug further for more in this post and finally, he finished in this post. I want to be thorough, and to exclude this information would be a poor way to do that.
im running the Kolossus Flex 0 Gauge kit with the KonFUSED KNF-23 distro with a run of o gauge from the distro to the ia9 and 4 gauge Kolossus Flex to the ia4....amazing wire for the price... the karma ss cables are nice as well....

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...7091127-00.jpg

Last edited by mikel7829; 05-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.
mikel7829 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #13
sandt38

Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel7829 View Post
im running the Kolossus Flex 0 Gauge kit with the KonFUSED KNF-23 distro with a run of o gauge from the distro to the ia9 and 4 gauge Kolossus Flex to the ia4....amazing wire for the price... the karma ss cables are nice as well....

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/k...7091127-00.jpg
Was there cable in that pic? All I saw were some sexy, sexy iA series amps....

Old 05-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #14
Rare177

Rare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder if the RCAs are causing my problem, i'm using knu RCAs, one thing i hate about knu products are the one the fuse holders and splitters work (the whole screw thing) it's a pain in the @ss to get the wire in, but the wire is nice and thick.
Rare177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
91Chevy

91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare177 View Post
i wonder if the RCAs are causing my problem, i'm using knu RCAs, one thing i hate about knu products are the one the fuse holders and splitters work (the whole screw thing) it's a pain in the @ss to get the wire in, but the wire is nice and thick.
It's hard to get it, but it's also hard to get out. It's got it's pros and cons I'm fairly happy with the wire overall though. By the way, clean install. Looks schmexy.
91Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote