CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

Bench Testing 1000rms amps

Trying to get some real world data for everyone including myself.
We are currently working on bench testing a number of "1000 true watt amps. Once we get all of the numbers in I will post all of the data.

This is a list of current amps we have tested or already have gotten our hands on to test.

Hifonics-
Bx2005D, BX1605D, Bxi1210D, XXV Colossus, XX Goliath, XXV Maxximus, ZXI 1010.

Alpine-
MRP-M1000, PDX 1.1000

Cadence- iA7

Sundown- Sae 1000D

Audiobahn- A1500HCT

JL Audio- 1000/1v2, T1000.1,

Power Acoustik- OV1-3000

Phoenix Gold- V8001( I know it is only rated 800 but it was all i could get my hands on.)

Crunch- GPV2000.1

Soundstream- PCX1000D

That is the list of the amps that we have already tested or will be testing shortly. We are trying to get our hands on some others like Fosgate, Diamond, Lanzar, Legacy and so on. Our goal is to be able to present comparable, real world numbers that were all produced by the same conditions rather than in a lab with perfect conditions.

If I missed any big ones out there, or if you would just like to see how a brand compares just throw it out there and we will see what we can do. (we are having a blast doing this right now). I might not be able to get the exact models everyone would like to see, but hopefully these tests will be able to give an idea of brand quality and comparison.
Mordrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Rare177

Rare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond reputeRare177 has a reputation beyond repute

how are you testing? in a car or? and with what voltage?

can you update with the results you already have, cheers.
Rare177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Mordrid1

Mordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond reputeMordrid1 has a reputation beyond repute

These results cam from testing in a car, A 1996 Nissan 300zx. At first we tried using the second battery in the car to run the tests but because there was a +/- of up to 2.1 volts at any given time we decided to use a regulated power supply.

We used 14.4 volt as our testing bench mark.(we made sure all tests were run in a +/- .1 volt tolerance)

BX2005D rated at 2000W RMS -- Tested at 1380 W RMS @ 1ohm

BX1605D rated at 1600W RMS --Tested at 1060W RMS @ 1ohm

Alpine PDX 1.1000 rated 1000 rms @ 4 & 2ohm -- Tested at 780 RMS @ 4ohm, and 970 RMS @ 2ohm

Cadence ia7 rated at 1000 rms -- Tested at 1090 rms @ 1ohm

Sundown SAE-1000D rated at 1000 rms--- Tested at 1160 rms @ 1ohm

Alpine Mrp-M1000 rated at 1000rms -- tested at 790 rms @ 2ohm

Hifonics BXI1210D rated at 1200rms -- retest coming soon (was testing well then went into protect mode) Got another amp on the way

Hifonics XXV Colossus rated at 2200rms 4ohm bridged -- Tested at 1890 rms @ 4ohm bridged. (tested at 1200 rms x2 @1ohm)

Hifonics XX Goliath rated at 5000 rms -- Tested at 5010 rms @ 1ohm. (I know this is really not in the same class as a lot of the others we tested but since we could get our hands on it we thought what the hell.........And this beast is impressive!!!!)

Hifonics XXV Maxximus rated at 10,000 rms -- Tested at 9100 rms.
(I am not sure on this one, I think our equipment maxed on it so
we really thought this amp had more than we could test.)

Hifonics ZXI 1010 rated 1000 rms @ 4ohm bridged -- Tested 760 rms.(this was disappointing because before the Brutus amp went into protect it had some impressive numbers showing)

Audiobahn A1500HCT rated 500 rms -- Tested 280 rms (when pushed this amp seemed very unstable)

Soundstream PCX1000D rated 1000 rms -- Tested 1120 rms (this amp got really hot really fast though so we ran it longer seeing if it would overheat or run unstable but even through the heat is stayed stable and produced the numbers)

Here is a list of some of the amps i will be testing this weekend.
JL 1000/1v2, JL T1000.1, Phoenix Gold Ryval V8001, PAC OV1-3000, Crunch GPV2000.1, RF T10001BD, Kicker ZX1000.1

Worth noting on the Hifonics BXI1210D the amp we had access to was purchased from Fry's Electronics which is known to sell refurbs so we are chalking that fail up to the chance maybe we got a bad one.

On a personal note I have always been a huge alpine fan and while they did not do poorly I was a little disappointed in their results. I still think they make great entry level stuff but I am not sure I will be recommending the PDX amps as much anymore.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
subaru_legacy

subaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to behold

mordid test some of AQ's amps if you can. i would really like to see how much they put out.
subaru_legacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Mordrid1

I am trying to get my hands on an AQ but I do not even have any leads on one locally here.

I forgot also to mention on the Sundown amp we tested we were very impressed with the fact that with a little adjusting it almost hit it's full rated 1000 rms at 2ohms. After this first round of tests the SAE 1000D would have to be my front runner for overall quality and performance.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
subaru_legacy

subaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to beholdsubaru_legacy is a splendid one to behold

where are you at? i have a aq1200d if you are close to me
subaru_legacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
91Chevy

91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post
I forgot also to mention on the Sundown amp we tested we were very impressed with the fact that with a little adjusting it almost hit it's full rated 1000 rms at 2ohms. After this first round of tests the SAE 1000D would have to be my front runner for overall quality and performance.
Yay, that's the amp I'm buying!

This is great, looking forward to more results. Are you just mostly sticking with mono's, or are you gonna do 2/4 channel amps as well?
91Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
ninjawhiteboy12

ninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these partsninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these partsninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these partsninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these partsninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these partsninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these partsninjawhiteboy12 is infamous around these parts

keep up the good work =]
ninjawhiteboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #9
Mordrid1

I am in Phoenix AZ so if anyone knows someone close by that has an AQ amp and would not mind helping out, it takes us about 1-2 hours to correctly test them.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Mordrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Chevy View Post
Yay, that's the amp I'm buying!

This is great, looking forward to more results. Are you just mostly sticking with mono's, or are you gonna do 2/4 channel amps as well?
At first we were trying to stick with monoblocks, and around 1000 watt rms rated amps. But then we kinda expanded it to whatever we can get our hands on that would be considered a Subwoofer amp.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
91Chevy

91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute91Chevy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordrid1 View Post
At first we were trying to stick with monoblocks, and around 1000 watt rms rated amps. But then we kinda expanded it to whatever we can get our hands on that would be considered a Subwoofer amp.
Ahh, alright. Cool
91Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
johnybass

johnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond reputejohnybass has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of test equipment are you using and more importantly what kind of power supply are you using that can handle amps this big. 10,000 watts? Crazy! You would need something like a 700 amp capable supply.
johnybass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Mordrid1

The bench test equipement we are using is just a homemade high capacity bench test amp that my friend who is an engineer at Honywell (here in Phoenix) designed and built for this purpose. the power supply we are using is a regulated arc-welder supply (the kind you would see on a mobile arc welding rig, but modified). We even had someone from Rockford Fosgate here in Tempe help out a little, but he stopped short of supplying a few amps of his brand to test out.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Test output at ~12v. Most electrical systems will drop to 12v if they really have to supply a true 1000rms for anything beyond a second or two....
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

include thd figures please.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote