CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Installation Help

Old 08-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
bradk

bradk is on a distinguished road

Why do my subs keep cutting out?

Hi guys, i have just installed two 12" Type R's running off a 1000w 2 channel Alpine amp. The problem is when i turn up the tunes past 3/4 the subs cut out. I bought everything used off ebay so i think maybe the amp isn't working. Also i am using a 4g wiring kit, could this be the problem?. I have tried one channel to one sub, two channels to two subs and two channels (bridged) to one sub but everyway i try doesn't solve the probem. Does anybody have any sugestions?
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 08-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

what ohm subwoofers do you have? when you're describing this "cutting out" take a look at the amplifiers power light and see if it goes into protect
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
bradk

Hi Type X, the subs are 4 ohm with 500w RMS each and the amp only has a power light (which stays on) and no protect light. I did try an old amp which does have a protect light and did come on when the subs lost power. The the Alpine amp did get extremely hot, quiet quickly.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Type_X

Type_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond reputeType_X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradk View Post
Hi Type X, the subs are 4 ohm with 500w RMS each and the amp only has a power light (which stays on) and no protect light. I did try an old amp which does have a protect light and did come on when the subs lost power. The the Alpine amp did get extremely hot, quiet quickly.
how are your speakers wired? they could be wired incorrectly presenting too low of an ohm load for the amplifier. you should have it bridged to run at 4 ohms (drivers being wired in series/parallel

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161
Type_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
bradk

Thanks Type X, the subs were not wired in series/parallel and you have sorted the problem.
Also a big thank-you for all of the advice and links everyone gave me