CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Video & Multimedia

Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
jerds

jerds is on a distinguished road

SPDIF, or other audio input from laptop

I'm gonna assume multimedia best describes my question..
I just got a new 09 F350 super duty. I am going to mount my laptop (using the same mounting we use in the fire dept vehicles) and would like to use it to play movies (yes I know illegally) and cd's/mp3s.
My laptop is an HP with SPDIF output (looks like a headphone jack). Is there an aftermarket deck out there that will simply accept this signal clearly?
If not, what is the best option/deck to get the cleanest audio possible, or do I just use any deck and use the aux input and hope for the best?
jerds is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerds View Post
I'm gonna assume multimedia best describes my question..
I just got a new 09 F350 super duty. I am going to mount my laptop (using the same mounting we use in the fire dept vehicles) and would like to use it to play movies (yes I know illegally) and cd's/mp3s.
My laptop is an HP with SPDIF output (looks like a headphone jack). Is there an aftermarket deck out there that will simply accept this signal clearly?
If not, what is the best option/deck to get the cleanest audio possible, or do I just use any deck and use the aux input and hope for the best?

If the laptop will be covering the video aspect of the signal and you're only concerned with passing the audio to an aftermarket head unit (you don't intend to pass the video signal though the head unit to other monitors placed inside the vehicle), then yes- look for a unit with front-mounted miniplug auxiliary input. Some units (Alpine comes to mind) will accept the audio signal through an adapter that passes the signal into the head unit through a proprietary port in the rear of the unit (Alpine calls this Ai-Net, and you would have to source some Ai-Net to RCA and miniplug to RCA adapters to pass the signal).

Does the factory Ford radio have a miniplug input on the front of the unit? The easiest way might be to buy a miniplug to miniplug cable (as used by some iPods) to make the connection to the stock piece.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
jerds

jerds is on a distinguished road

The factory stereo has got to be replaced by something much better, something mild most likely a 4ch and a sub amp, with some decent speakers, nothing fancy.

I will only be passing audio from the laptop to the stereo system.

Basically I know I can get almost any Alpine/Pioneer deck, and plug some RCA's into the aux input on the back (or get the appropriate aux input adapter), however I'm wondering if there is anything that accepts the SPDIF digital input, or any unit that handles the aux input any better then others?
jerds is offline   Reply With Quote