CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: Advanced

Old 10-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
TwistedDreams

TwistedDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Using Two Amplifiers for one Subwoofer

Hello, here are some diagrams explaining my question:
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...gesetupone.jpg
or I can switch just the negatives or just the positives on the sub for a more balanced flow.

Will this work? I don't see why not, however maybe there is something I am missing. I plan on using a very short cable for the line in/line out RCA cable between the two amps, and the same length speaker cable. Any thoughts?
-TD
TwistedDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDreams View Post
Hello, here are some diagrams explaining my question:
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...gesetupone.jpg
or I can switch just the negatives or just the positives on the sub for a more balanced flow.

Will this work? I don't see why not, however maybe there is something I am missing. I plan on using a very short cable for the line in/line out RCA cable between the two amps, and the same length speaker cable. Any thoughts?
-TD

I can't really tell from your diagram the way it appears on my laptop @ work, but are those dissimilar amps? If so, don't do it. If not, don't do it as they're not intended to be used that way.

The only way I would "strap" or combine multiple amps would be if they were identical and designed to be used in that configuration by the manufacturer...a clue that this is the case would be "master" and "slave" designations labelled on the controls, where you combine the amps' output but use one as a master to control all adjustments on both as a balanced pair. I don't believe Kenwood offers any that are strappable, so I wouldn't do it.

If you need more power than one of your amps can provide, sell both and put the proceeds towards an amp that's more appropriate for your needs .
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
2pt4Turbo

2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough

Your diagram is correct. If you use this setup you need to make sure you use a DMM to match voltages. I'm going to be using my Cadence TXA-6004 to power my new subwoofer. I'm going to bridge 1/2 and run it to one voicecoil and then bridge 3/4 and run it to the other voicecoil. It is just important to make sure the outputs are matched and the settings identical.

Regards,

Brian
2pt4Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
TwistedDreams

Alright, I'm going to do it then. They'll have the exact same settings with the dials. (20 hz LPF, 1 sensitivity, 0 boost)
And I've never actually seen a DMM, like one for sale, just heard about them, can you point me in the right direction for one? Also I plan on running ONE capacitor after the fuse then splitting the power cables, with a DMM I guess, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll come back and post pics once it's all done.

oh and BTW this is going to be firing down behind the seat in the middle of a regular cab 02 ranger. hahaha

Old 10-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
2pt4Turbo

2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough2pt4Turbo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDreams View Post
Alright, I'm going to do it then. They'll have the exact same settings with the dials. (20 hz LPF, 1 sensitivity, 0 boost)
And I've never actually seen a DMM, like one for sale, just heard about them, can you point me in the right direction for one? Also I plan on running ONE capacitor after the fuse then splitting the power cables, with a DMM I guess, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll come back and post pics once it's all done.

oh and BTW this is going to be firing down behind the seat in the middle of a regular cab 02 ranger. hahaha
Digital Multi Meter can be bought at Radioshack or pretty much any hardware store. They show all sorts of pertinent information. www.bcae1.com explains how to set gains with a DMM.

Regards,

Brian
2pt4Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
sub-standard

Location: Originally Posted by ma_tt316: I found this really sweet looking custom fiberglass universal enclosure.
sub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond repute

Have you already purchased those amps? If not, then I would advise against them....
sub-standard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
sub-standard

Location: Originally Posted by ma_tt316: I found this really sweet looking custom fiberglass universal enclosure.
sub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond reputesub-standard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicxj View Post
I can't really tell from your diagram the way it appears on my laptop @ work, but are those dissimilar amps? If so, don't do it. If not, don't do it as they're not intended to be used that way.

The only way I would "strap" or combine multiple amps would be if they were identical and designed to be used in that configuration by the manufacturer...a clue that this is the case would be "master" and "slave" designations labelled on the controls, where you combine the amps' output but use one as a master to control all adjustments on both as a balanced pair. I don't believe Kenwood offers any that are strappable, so I wouldn't do it.

If you need more power than one of your amps can provide, sell both and put the proceeds towards an amp that's more appropriate for your needs .
I completely agree. I would never do that either. However, I do do recall some one using two differentamps to power a Kicker L7. I'm thinking it may have been Rare??? Anyways, He said he didn't have any problems with using two different amps.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
TwistedDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-standard View Post
Have you already purchased those amps? If not, then I would advise against them....
Why would you advise against them? or would you just advise against the setup.
cause my experience with Kenwood is that they last forever as long as you keep them cool, and I mounted it with two 92mm fans under it so it's rarely ever even hot.
I was really looking for a "it won't work or will wreck your sub/amp because of this *******"

so I'm going to set it up, maybe next month or even December, and post up some pics. I have faith in it because all of the circuitry is still going to be exact.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
sub-standard

The only thing that Kenwood sells of high quality for car audio is their head units.

Best buy records their returns & they have more returns on Kenwood amps than any of the other brands that they sell. There was a pretty nasty problem a couple years ago about their amps failing alot & I'm not sure if they have improved alot since then. Maybe some one with more experience with Kenwood amps can help out.....

Old 10-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #10
TwistedDreams

^really? cause I've known they've had great HU's, but I've had plenty of Kenwood amps that have worked fine over the years, as with some friends.
that's interesting though, best buy get's them returned a lot... in fact, I was in there the other day and there weren't any Kenwood amps I don't think.
-TD

Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Kenwood amplifiers are mediocre, and better can be had for the money. If you don't have them yet, members here could steer you towards much better performance per dollar in other products. If I needed 1000 watts RMS @ 1 ohm, I would look at products from the likes of Audioque, Cadence, Sundown among others over Kenwood and have zero regrets.
basicxj is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
greybush

greybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond reputegreybush has a reputation beyond repute

I was an installer at best buy as of 2 years ago and can tell you that the kenwoods got returned about 25 to 30% of the time which is a pretty d@mn high return rate. You don't see them in the open box section much because they clear them out at a ridiculously lower price then retail to get rid of them and people with no money grab them up. Infinity was absolutely the worst amp for failure rate, they were horrible. I remember them coming straight out of the box smelling like they had already burned up.
greybush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
TwistedDreams

Alright, I'll certainly look into those other amps.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
TwistedDreams

It's been a while guys, but this sub has been poundin' pretty hard for a while now. It's on 14.4 volts with a cap and I'm loving the lows it's producing.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
Mattoose

Mattoose has a spectacular aura aboutMattoose has a spectacular aura about

i've put a DVC on a 4 channel, 4 ohms bridged per coil. it sucked compared to the same wattage from a mono.

if you're happy and it's not blown then cool but the proper way to do that is with an external bridging module.
Mattoose is offline   Reply With Quote