CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
cubensis

cubensis has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can anyone build me a good SQ system for $1,500???

Whats up guys thanks for reading,

Can anyone that knows what they are talking about please help me on a complete SQ system for my 06 Acura RSX?? Im willing to drop $1,500. Sound quality is key here.

Im definitely getting a Kenwood Dnx5140 online for $620 so that leaves us with $900 to work with.

Since the RSX is pretty small inside I figure a 10" sub sealed would be best? I listen to rock, metal, classic rock, reggae, funk, jazz..I need the best SQ but without lacking the deep bass needed to feel reggae..I'm leaning towards a IDQ10V3.D2 sealed? Any help or suggestions will be awesome.

I'm relying on you guys to buy everything from the speakers straight down to the wiring lol. Im getting it all online so I need every piece so I can just take it to a place and get it installed all in one shot.

Also Id like to thank everyone for all the great info on this forum. I was recently apart of an acura forum and the mod was apparently an audio "guru", he suggested I buy everything elemental designs I was so close to buying a complete ED system until I researched a little further and found this forum and boy am I glad I found you guys lol. I went back to the acura forum and found out the Mod actually worked for Elemental Designs, scumbag.

Any input will be greatly appreciated thanks guys!!
cubensis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 11-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

That ID sub is a great choice, as far as the front comps did you want smooth or sharp sounding tweeters?
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
swanjm5

swanjm5 is just really niceswanjm5 is just really niceswanjm5 is just really niceswanjm5 is just really nice

i've been doing weeks of research on the exact same makeover. And it seems like our research has been similar

Here's what i'm gonna be getting:

Head unit: DNX5140 ~$550
Sub: JL 12w6v2 (i chose this after much consideration for the IDQ) ~$300
Amp: JL 500/1v2 <$400
Box: 1.25 net cu.ft. sealed (i'm making it) ~$50
Speakers: Pioneer PRS 720s (chose them over alpine type x) ~$250
amp: prob a second hand cadence SQA 4 - puts out 200x2 bridged ~$100
wiring kit: Knukonceptz Kolossus Flex 0 Gauge Dual Amp Power Kit ~$100

Including wiring and everything, this set up will run me ~$1800 give or take. I've been researching forever and am very confident that i am choosing one of the absolute best set ups for the money.

The HU is a little weak in terms of audio controls (limited EQ, no time alignment...), but it's what i need in terms of having GPS (garmin is keyyyyy), having a volume knob, and having SOME audio controls...

Some people don't prefer the PRS tweets and replace them with seas, but i'm sure i'm not as picky as the audiophiles here. Also, apparently the crossovers aren't as good as alpines....but again, i'm sure i won't be nearly as picky. Plus, the PRS are supposed to be boss with mid-bass (and the tweets are silk, not metal...which is my preference. can't stand super bright highs), and are arguably the best comps for the price (the other common pick being the alpine type x). From my research, it seemed that the PRS and type x edged out the boston pros, which are also supposed to be very good. If you like bright tweets, MB quarts are supposed to be very good.

Last edited by swanjm5; 11-10-2009 at 01:37 AM.
swanjm5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
cubensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL BRONCO II View Post
That ID sub is a great choice, as far as the front comps did you want smooth or sharp sounding tweeters?
Hmm, I like crisp sounding tweeters without them being TOO sharp, something that blends right in smoothly when the music is mellow, but really gets those highs in the guitar solos. I'm probably not gonna get rear speakers cause its a small car.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
cubensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjm5 View Post
i've been doing weeks of research on the exact same makeover. And it seems like our research has been similar

Here's what i'm gonna be getting:

Head unit: DNX5140 ~$550
Sub: JL 12w6v2 (i chose this after much consideration for the IDQ) ~$300
Amp: JL 500/1v2 <$400
Box: 1.25 net cu.ft. sealed (i'm making it) ~$50
Speakers: Pioneer PRS 720s (chose them over alpine type x) ~$250
amp: prob a second hand cadence SQA 4 - puts out 200x2 bridged ~$100
wiring kit: Knukonceptz Kolossus Flex 0 Gauge Dual Amp Power Kit ~$100

Including wiring and everything, this set up will run me ~$1800 give or take. I've been researching forever and am very confident that i am choosing one of the absolute best set ups for the money.

The HU is a little weak in terms of audio controls (limited EQ, no time alignment...), but it's what i need in terms of having GPS (garmin is keyyyyy), having a volume knob, and having SOME audio controls...

Some people don't prefer the PRS tweets and replace them with seas, but i'm sure i'm not as picky as the audiophiles here. Also, apparently the crossovers aren't as good as alpines....but again, i'm sure i won't be nearly as picky. Plus, the PRS are supposed to be boss with mid-bass (and the tweets are silk, not metal...which is my preference. can't stand super bright highs), and are arguably the best comps for the price (the other common pick being the alpine type x). From my research, it seemed that the PRS and type x edged out the boston pros, which are also supposed to be very good. If you like bright tweets, MB quarts are supposed to be very good.
What made you go with the JL sub instead of the IDQ?

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

Front comps
ID CTX65cs's $180

Amp for comps
ARC FD2200 $180

Sub
IDQ V3 $240

Amp for sub
ARC FD600.1 $260

Your at $860.00 shipped.
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
nabissssco

nabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond reputenabissssco has a reputation beyond repute

^^^Thats a good list of gear for your car. Im using the idq v2 and its great and from what ive read the v3 gave up a little sq for a little more output so it should sound great. I would also get the idq over the jl.
nabissssco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
swanjm5

swanjm5 is just really niceswanjm5 is just really niceswanjm5 is just really niceswanjm5 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubensis View Post
What made you go with the JL sub instead of the IDQ?
Tons of reviews. People in the know will tell you that for SQ it comes down to JL vs ID. JL gets hated on a bit...i think it's because they're so popular and generally are regarded by many people as the absolute hands down best...when in reality there are a few subs who give it a serious run for their money, perhaps even beat them. However, the majority of reviews i read in which the reviewer had experience with the comparable models of both JL and ID....more preferred the JL over the ID. I'm not a fan boy of either, i was as objective about it as i could be...and it seemed like JL edged out ID overall based upon my research.

Plus i had 2 biased experiences....

I've heard a w7 in the HO ported box, and it was the nicest sounding sub i've ever heard. A friend has an IDMAX in a ported sub...it was wayyyy too sloppy compared to the w7. Granted there are MANY factors that could have gone into how good/bad they souded....the amp, the box, the install, etc. I accept the huge limitations and impossible assumptions of my comparison, but it's the only thing i've had and it's worth at least something. Even if the IDMAX was set up poorly, the fact is, that w7 was the best sub i've ever heard period. I'm sure the IDMAX, set up well, sounds every bit as amazing as the w7 i heard did.

In the JL vs Image Dynamics debate the subs match up like this:

w7 vs IDMAX (for a little more SPL, less SQ than lower models)
w6 vs IDQ (for a little more SQ over their big brothers, less SPL)

So i picked JL....then went with the w6 because i wanted more SQ, and didn't need to be heard from blocks down the road (plus, any one of these subs will be able blast your face off with volume...so i didn't think i needed the extra output. Thus...went with the w6. I then chose 12 vs 10 because i wanted to get some of the lower notes, and trust that in a sealed box, the 12 will be plenty responsive for the tighter midbass.

Realistically, i think i would be 100% happy with either one. I'm sure my one experience with the IDQ was very much due to the set up. Fact is, these are the 2 brands/models that people always compare against each other....i'm sure they're both fantastic subs.

Last edited by swanjm5; 11-10-2009 at 05:23 AM.
swanjm5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #9
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Front comps
ID CTX65cs's $180

Amp for comps
ARC FD2200 $180

Sub
IDQ V3 $240

Amp for sub
ARC FD600.1 $260

Your at $860.00 shipped.
this..............
nauc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

physics says the idmax is superior..
its more efficent, it has lower inductance, better bl/re to mms ratio, its going to be less varence in le and the bl curves are identical as far as linearty in stroke..
w7s sound great tuned low in tiny boxes, but thats a oxymoron to the design, so sealed is the best option..
idmax has a softer spider, but the mms and motor strength allow it to do great in small low tuned designs.. many people base there decisions on very little factual evdience but they perfer one woofer over the other..
the w7 sealed will be louder and sounds great, but the idmax is a lower distortion driver..
if i had to choose a driver for pure sq it be a underhung or a xbl driver..
i can't see the parameters 4 the w6, there great drivers..
for the price of the w6 you could get a IDmax which is superior..
also if you ask competitors there favorite drivers are IA flatlyne, idqv3, and the shiva Xs..hybrid audio is sure to drop a awesome sq woofer..

Last edited by bassfreak; 11-10-2009 at 10:37 PM.
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
TiMER

TiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond reputeTiMER has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Front comps
ID CTX65cs's $180

Amp for comps
ARC FD2200 $180

Sub
IDQ V3 $240

Amp for sub
ARC FD600.1 $260

Your at $860.00 shipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauc View Post
this..............

TiMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
drozzy

drozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Front comps
ID CTX65cs's $180

Amp for comps
ARC FD2200 $180

Sub
IDQ V3 $240

Amp for sub
ARC FD600.1 $260

Your at $860.00 shipped.
nice!
drozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 AM   #13
Queazy

Queazy is infamous around these partsQueazy is infamous around these parts

Everybody has great input...Me on the other hand...Im a JBL kinda guy...for the money the Sq cant be beat. I would go with

1 JBL Power Series 12 (Dvc 400rms 1600Peak) $199
1 set Jbl P652 components with passive crossovers $99
1 set Jbl P650 two ways $99
1 Alpine Mrp-F300 4 chan amp $199
1 Alpine Mrp-M500 mono sub amp 500rms @ 2ohms $199
Box..$50
Wiring..$80

It's a little bit over your budget but I can bet you its worth every penny. Dont take my word for it....do the homework. Everybody favors certain brands for certain reasons but both Jbl and Alpine have been around far longer than most brands out today. The quality is top notch....they wouldnt be in the game 15+ years if it wasnt. Like I said...do the homework....you will be surprised.

I manage a car audio store and I have over 15 years experience in the field...
Queazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #14
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=693

I'd go with this if you have 600wrms. Either 1.6ft3 sealed or IB.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #15
bassfreak

Freestyle GOD

bassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond reputebassfreak has a reputation beyond repute

shiva x 210
http://www.diycable.com/main/product...92ccc87ccfdca1

cadence ia2 and ia7 650 ish
http://www.powermaxelectronics.com/p...95&idcategory=
http://www.powermaxelectronics.com/p...97&idcategory=
pioneer prs comps kick ***.. great set..
bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote