CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Monoxzide

Monoxzide is on a distinguished road

Car system for SQ. Loud and clear!

Hey there guys. I'm thinking about upgrading my current system I have in my car right now. I have a 2008 Mazda 6. Currently, I have 2 pairs of Alpine Type-S 5X7's on a Alpine MRP-f250 4 channel amp and I think they are getting 40 watts rms. Maybe 50, I don't know if he hooked it up 2 OHM or not.

Anyways, my new build is straight SQ. I listen to primarily death metal. Cannibal Corpse, Decapitated, Ingested, Suffocation, etc etc. They have a ton of double bass in there songs so I need the subs to be quick and clean. The CVR's aren't bad but I think I can do better.

My subs right now are 2 10" Kicker CVR's with this amp pushing them in a sealed box: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...08ZX750.1.html

Now, I'm thinking about either going with Diamond Audio. I want it to be a hell of a lot louder then my current setup. These are the speakers I'm thinking about getting: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...dio+D373i.html.

Now with these, I plan on putting this 4 channel amp to it:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...o_D3_5004.aspx.

I don't know how the science of making things louder but I assume more watts and providing it with more power = louder car. So anyways, that's my main plan. I already plan on getting 2 JL 10" W3V3's. Unless someone else has a better/cheaper set of subs I can get.

Anyways, like I said, I want the new setup to be stupid loud. Should I get components as compared to coaxs or what?

Appreciate any response I may get.
Monoxzide is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Platemail

Platemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant future

Those JL subs are nice, however the IDQ would be a better responsive sub -

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2033/IDQ1...-Subwoofer.htm

Wire it to a 2 ohm load and to power it, I'd go with:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu..._08ZX5001.aspx

Deffinatly keep the sealed idea, but together with two of those IDQ's, they only take 500wrms total at 2 ohms, so careful not to overpower.

And as for those Diamond audio speakers, I've never heard them, TBH haven't heard many speakers in that size, but I do know if you were to do a nice 6.5" comp set and just baffle/mount them to fit, you'd be very happy - given you choose the right ones.
Platemail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Monoxzide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platemail View Post
Those JL subs are nice, however the IDQ would be a better responsive sub -

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2033/IDQ1...-Subwoofer.htm

Wire it to a 2 ohm load and to power it, I'd go with:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu..._08ZX5001.aspx

Deffinatly keep the sealed idea, but together with two of those IDQ's, they only take 500wrms total at 2 ohms, so careful not to overpower.

And as for those Diamond audio speakers, I've never heard them, TBH haven't heard many speakers in that size, but I do know if you were to do a nice 6.5" comp set and just baffle/mount them to fit, you'd be very happy - given you choose the right ones.

If someone walked up to you and said "Make my car the loudest car ever" what 6.5's would you recommend to them, along with what amp?

And I do appreciate the feedback on the subs. I'll definitely look into it.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Platemail

Platemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant futurePlatemail has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoxzide View Post
If someone walked up to you and said "Make my car the loudest car ever" what 6.5's would you recommend to them, along with what amp?

And I do appreciate the feedback on the subs. I'll definitely look into it.
Well that's hard to say just because the enclosures vary, you have to properly deaden the doors and trunk to get the best sound quality out of the application.

BUT I'd say the PKP set from focal are very nice; smooth tweeters and a very crisp sound from the comps.

I didn't have a pre-disclosed budget.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2975/165K...ponent-Set.htm

and for an amp:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6033/ZRS7...-Amplifier.htm

Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Monoxzide

Quote:
Well that's hard to say just because the enclosures vary, you have to properly deaden the doors and trunk to get the best sound quality out of the application.

BUT I'd say the PKP set from focal are very nice; smooth tweeters and a very crisp sound from the comps.

I didn't have a pre-disclosed budget.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2975/165K...ponent-Set.htm

and for an amp:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6033/ZRS7...-Amplifier.htm
I was thinking about Focal as well. I went to Car Toys a while back in put in one of my CD's on a set of Focal 5X7 coax's they had in there and was absolutely blown away. I see a lot of people hate on Focal though, yet Car Toys ( of course it's a typical salesman) say it's the best brand in the world.

Any other brands out there you would consider? I'm just trying to figure out all my options before I start ordering stuff :P

Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Platemail

Quote:
I was thinking about Focal as well. I went to Car Toys a while back in put in one of my CD's on a set of Focal 5X7 coax's they had in there and was absolutely blown away. I see a lot of people hate on Focal though, yet Car Toys ( of course it's a typical salesman) say it's the best brand in the world.

Any other brands out there you would consider? I'm just trying to figure out all my options before I start ordering stuff :P
So do you want 6.5" comps, 5x7 two ways? 5x7 3 ways?

What are we lookin at now? lol

If you want a different set of comps look into PPI, CDT, and I PERSONALLY liked the pheonix gold comps

If you look into coax, look into Rainbow

Old 12-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Monoxzide

Quote:
So do you want 6.5" comps, 5x7 two ways? 5x7 3 ways?

What are we lookin at now? lol

If you want a different set of comps look into PPI, CDT, and I PERSONALLY liked the pheonix gold comps

If you look into coax, look into Rainbow
Whatever sounds the best, honestly. The only reason I mention anything about 5X7s is because that is my speaker size that fits inside my door. So, if I can put in 6.5's by using some sort of coverter plate (I guess? lol) then we will not worry about 5x7's.

I really appreciate the input though.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Platemail

Quote:
Whatever sounds the best, honestly. The only reason I mention anything about 5X7s is because that is my speaker size that fits inside my door. So, if I can put in 6.5's by using some sort of coverter plate (I guess? lol) then we will not worry about 5x7's.

I really appreciate the input though.
yeah, do more research on the 5x7 plates that adapt 6.5"s

I've got to be off to work now, so let us know what you've picked or if you need any other help

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

The build isn't "straight SQ" given that your substage is capable of overwhelming you front stage already and you plan to install an even more overwhelming sub stage.

That said, the IDQv3s and JLw3 are nice subs. The Dayton Reference HOs in either 10 or 12 would work well for you, however I would suggest 3 of the Daytons to meet your desire for lowend output. You might slso give the Fi BL a look.
Jimi77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
Bumpin' Goalie

Bumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to beholdBumpin' Goalie is a splendid one to behold

As for your front stage. The diamond's D6's and above lines components sound very very nice. and get loud with proper power.

Also, look into Hertz Mille's or High Energy's for components.

May also consider Premier PRS.

Focal has a tendency to sound good, yet not the strongest for mid-bass.

no matter what speaker you choose, properly seal and deaden your doors.

it'll most likely be the cheapest and most noticeable difference
Bumpin' Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
drozzy

drozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond reputedrozzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Goalie View Post
Focal has a tendency to sound good, yet not the strongest for mid-bass.
Hmmm. From personal experience with higher end sets, in this case CDT HDs & Focal K2Ps, the Focal mids will not bottom out at high volume, sound extremely warm although sometime very crisp on certain guitar notes... but pretty punchy on techno, I liked the midbass. The HDs on the other hand, while producing similar output in the 100-300 Hz region (some consider them the reference in output - in their price range), didn't suit my needs at higher freqs. I thought they sounded raw compared to the Focals if that makes sense. Keep in mind I've been in a band for ~7 years now, my listening taste is a little special.

Focal, CDT, Diamond, Pioneer Premier, Rainbow, ID, Dayton... those are all great brands, OP can't go wrong. Good luck.
drozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
02xblazer

02xblazer is a jewel in the rough02xblazer is a jewel in the rough02xblazer is a jewel in the rough

i listen to alot of that kind of music and just bought 2 IDQ15v2.
going to run them sealed off of a kicker zx1000.1.. for front stage i want to get ID ctx65 comp set with 150-200w/dr.. also got 125sqft raamaat
02xblazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
neillio

neillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond reputeneillio has a reputation beyond repute

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-C608GTi-MkII...item53dea9066d
I like these w/ 150-250wrms a side.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-JBL-W10-GTi-Mk...item27ad824e22
These in 2.8ft3 net @ 33/34hz would really sound great IMO. They can be sealed(1.6ft3/pair)but you'd get that little extra in output while remaining incredibly clean.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-MASSIVE-AUDI...item255798a01f
You could power the (2) 10's w/ this or you could talk to Jason Paul about possibly matching the price on a Cadence iA7. Both are very solid. You get a 5yr warranty on the iA series.
neillio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
mvw2

mvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond reputemvw2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll first off say that your current setup is nice as an entry level setup. It's a good first step into the aftermarket world. As you continue to upgrade and evolve your system, you do have a lot of room to grow and improve. Choice of hardware is pretty open-ended.

Loud and clean typically means a requirement to over build a system. You go larger to make loud easier. The limit is of course fitting the hardware into a car. You use as large of speakers as you can fit and ones of the greatest capability. Now you can't simply go large. You will always be limited by the weakest point. A big sub doesn't make a loud system. It just makes a bass heavy system. Unbalanced like that also makes it less SQ oriented. Balance is a good thing to strive for and pushing the output capability while retaining balance can be a challenge.

A typical limiting factor is the mid woofer. A 6.5" woofer isn't all that capable for low frequency output. Most of the time they are vastly overwhelmed by the capability of the sub. It takes a very capable mid woofer to even come close to a basic subwoofer. Unless you don't need the mid woofer to play all that low, they simply can't move enough air. Many times the option to step to a 3-way is desirable where you run dedicated midrange and large midbass speaker to cover the frequency spectrum with a higher output capability.
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
nauc

nauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond reputenauc has a reputation beyond repute

Hertz comps and subs, Audison amps...

done

do it right the first time

nauc is offline   Reply With Quote