CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
a2j23

a2j23 will become famous soon enough

Useing a USB stick with a HU

Hey guys, I got question and after some searching on here, I have not found an answer. I would like to use my USB stick with my next head unit but the problem I ran into is most HUs can only recognize a certian number of files per folder. For example the number of files recognizable to the head unit I am considering purchasing is 999 on the Clarion CZ200, however I have heard that the iPod controls are poor and scrolling through songs is difficult. I considered the Kenwood KDC-MP345U as well, however it only recognizes around 255 files per folder.

So my question is what head unit would you guys recommend for single folder USB use as well as iPod controll?
a2j23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2j23 View Post
Hey guys, I got question and after some searching on here, I have not found an answer. I would like to use my USB stick with my next head unit but the problem I ran into is most HUs can only recognize a certian number of files per folder. For example the number of files recognizable to the head unit I am considering purchasing is 999 on the Clarion CZ200, however I have heard that the iPod controls are poor and scrolling through songs is difficult. I considered the Kenwood KDC-MP345U as well, however it only recognizes around 255 files per folder.

So my question is what head unit would you guys recommend for single folder USB use as well as iPod controll?
Regardless of source (DVD, iPod, thumb drive) and folder heirarchy, it will be easiest to search through if you make smaller playlists and folders than use just a couple with hundreds of songs per folder.

Some brands do slightly better than others when it comes to a user interface that allows you to single out a folder or playlist quickly (Pioneers are generally well-regarded), but once your file structure gets too big to gracefully search through, the interface is not going to help that much.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
MakeItVibrate

MakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond repute

id say get one with the usb in the back of the h/u where you can run a cord to your glovebox with a hdd.
MakeItVibrate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
a2j23

a2j23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItVibrate View Post
id say get one with the usb in the back of the h/u where you can run a cord to your glovebox with a hdd.
yes, thats exactly what I was thinking. The Clarion hu I am thinking about does exactly that, but like I said I have heard some bad things about the ipod controls, but then again that was just someones opinion so perhaps they were wrong or were not using it correctly..does anyone have any experience with the Clarion CZ HU line?
a2j23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

I find Pioneer iPod controls to be really the best of what I have played with. The Hierarchy is exactly as it is set up on the iPod. They also provide for lossless .wav format readability, and the largest read capacity on the market for USB use. I use USB almost exclusively and really like the way the Pioneer reads the hierarchy exactly as you set it up.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
MakeItVibrate

MakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond repute

i like it simple. left/right to change folders. up/down to change songs on that folder. my jvc does it fine.

go to a shop, play around with some radios and see what suits you best.
MakeItVibrate is offline   Reply With Quote