CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 05-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Calico_NC

Calico_NC is infamous around these partsCalico_NC is infamous around these partsCalico_NC is infamous around these parts

Hifonics Amp keeps going into protect mode

Just like the title says, my amp keeps going into protect mode when i turn my music up past a certain volume..It happened one day when i was playing music, not louder than normal,but loud..I have two kicker L7's...anyway, the amp just cut out...i looked and the protection light was on...now every time time i turn the radio up like half way, the amp will cut out and go into protect mode..i cut the car off & on again, and the amp comes back on again...but with the same symptoms as stated (protect mode when reaching half volume)..any idea of what it could be instead of the amp? Could it be the Power supply? Fuses? wires? Speakers? I really don't want to give her up.
Calico_NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Ellis

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

check your voltage, mine goes into protect if the voltage goes down to 11.5ish, but comes out of protect right away.. and which amp
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hifonics is the problem. They are known for premature rejeculation...

Where about in Greensboro do you live? I work in Greensboro, on Spring Garden street right near UNCG. I live in Summerfield though.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Calico_NC

Calico_NC is infamous around these partsCalico_NC is infamous around these partsCalico_NC is infamous around these parts

the hifonics 1605d..the old one though before they changed them to all black
http://images.sonicelectronix.com/im...n/bxi1608d.jpg

but anyway..i think i know what may be the culprit...i think its my ground wire location. Its screwed to some bolt on the side of my trunk...I wiggled it around a bit and tried to crank up the music, and it didn't cut off mid-volume, but once i started riding again, it cut out. Im guessing the ground was knocked loose. Im thinking it isn't in a good location. So when it stops raining, Ill try switching the ground to another location.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Calico_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandt38 View Post
Hifonics is the problem. They are known for premature rejeculation...

Where about in Greensboro do you live? I work in Greensboro, on Spring Garden street right near UNCG. I live in Summerfield though.
for some reason "premature rejeculation" made me chuckle..lol but I'm over behind the Wal-Mart on South-Elm Eugene..the apartment complexes back there.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
sandt38

Associate

Location: So, how's that HOPE and CHANGE $hit workin out for ya?
sandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond reputesandt38 has a reputation beyond repute

OK cool. Nice new joints over there. I remember when they put that store and those buildings up over there.
sandt38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Calico_NC

yup pretty good neighborhood. Kind of quiet too, besides me beating down the road every so often

Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Check all your connections,voltage and speaker ohm load.

Usually if it's the amp it'll stay in protect or produce no sound.

Dont fear Hifonics however right around your model year is where their issues started to pop up.
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
Calico_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by only126db View Post
Check all your connections,voltage and speaker ohm load.

Usually if it's the amp it'll stay in protect or produce no sound.

Dont fear Hifonics however right around your model year is where their issues started to pop up.
dag just my luck.

Well an update, I moved the ground to another place on the trunk's floor. Scratch some paint off and screwed it down. The performance has improved greatly..I actually can play it at very loud volumes most of the time, but then out the blue on very bass heavy notes it shuts off. Since by moving the ground it performed better does that mean this could be the culprit. I moved the ground, but idk wheter or not its sufficient enough..Ill try to look for another location tomorrow though. Haven't had a chance to check the voltages yet. Any suggestions on how to do so?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
Tama_Drumz_76

Tama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant futureTama_Drumz_76 has a brilliant future

Try to get a hold of a dremel/rotary tool with a sanding bit to completely sand away(you want it kinda shiny) a flat spot of metal to ground to. Just scratching a little off is probably not making good enough contact. Try to use a bolt that you can tighten down very well too.
Tama_Drumz_76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico_NC View Post
dag just my luck.

Well an update, I moved the ground to another place on the trunk's floor. Scratch some paint off and screwed it down. The performance has improved greatly..I actually can play it at very loud volumes most of the time, but then out the blue on very bass heavy notes it shuts off. Since by moving the ground it performed better does that mean this could be the culprit. I moved the ground, but idk wheter or not its sufficient enough..Ill try to look for another location tomorrow though. Haven't had a chance to check the voltages yet. Any suggestions on how to do so?
Gonna need a digital volt meter to test voltage.

You will want to do this when playing the system to see how low it drops.

By getting better performance from moving the ground, it sounds like it's definitely a connection/voltage issue.
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 AM   #12
Calico_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by only126db View Post
Gonna need a digital volt meter to test voltage.

You will want to do this when playing the system to see how low it drops.

By getting better performance from moving the ground, it sounds like it's definitely a connection/voltage issue.
Hopefully so..i haven't been playing my subs since Sept. 09 because it kept going out, i just thought my amp had crapped out. And to think i was about to get rid of it all..Hopefully its a connection issue, i've been missing my sounds

Old 05-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #13
Calico_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama_Drumz_76 View Post
Try to get a hold of a dremel/rotary tool with a sanding bit to completely sand away(you want it kinda shiny) a flat spot of metal to ground to. Just scratching a little off is probably not making good enough contact. Try to use a bolt that you can tighten down very well too.
Got one..battery was dead so i didn't use it when hooking up the ground. Ill charge her and sand it away tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #14
Ellis

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

if your using much bass boost, mine drains power like mad with even light boost, and thats what makes mine go to protect. i need a better battery/another battery....
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #15
Calico_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
if your using much bass boost, mine drains power like mad with even light boost, and thats what makes mine go to protect. i need a better battery/another battery....
Yeah I do use it, seems like without it, my speakers just die But an update on further news, I bought a DMM to check the voice coils on the speakers to see if one had died causing my amp to short out.. and to my amazement...none did!!! I was surprised by that because of this constant rattle i heard, but it must be the "cheapo" box the're in.
Another question, all the coils read a little over 4ohms like 4.1-4.2 is that acceptable?