CarAudioForum.com

Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
moval0890

moval0890 is infamous around these partsmoval0890 is infamous around these parts

Glue for sub?

Have a Type-R and it previously had a slight slit located on the black part underneath where it says "Alpine"
http://www.woofersetc.com/images/products/2530.jpg

I had some glue applied previously at a shop, but I'd rather just buy some myself and was wondering what kind to use?
Thanks.
moval0890 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 06-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
benahn7

benahn7 is infamous around these partsbenahn7 is infamous around these partsbenahn7 is infamous around these partsbenahn7 is infamous around these partsbenahn7 is infamous around these partsbenahn7 is infamous around these partsbenahn7 is infamous around these parts

there are different types of goop but thats what a lot of people use on subs.
benahn7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moval0890 View Post
Have a Type-R and it previously had a slight slit located on the black part underneath where it says "Alpine"
http://www.woofersetc.com/images/products/2530.jpg

I had some glue applied previously at a shop, but I'd rather just buy some myself and was wondering what kind to use?
Thanks.
Glue may help the sub to last a little longer, but if the surround (the black rubber portion that couples the sub's cone to the basket) is starting to tear there's a good chance you'll soon be looking for a new sub.

A tearing surround may also may be a sign you've been over driving the woofer, so you may want to look at your amplifier's gain structure, turn off any bass boost, use a subsonic filter (near the tuning frequency if the sub is in a ported enclosure) and make sure the volume of your box is close to spec as well.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
moval0890

moval0890 is infamous around these partsmoval0890 is infamous around these parts

Well the hole originated from some piece of debris I had in my trunk that seemed to rub against and puncture it a year ago or so. So I just want something to last me as long as I can with this current sub.

Any recommendations of the name/type of glue and where to buy it? Home depot?
moval0890 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moval0890 View Post
Well the hole originated from some piece of debris I had in my trunk that seemed to rub against and puncture it a year ago or so. So I just want something to last me as long as I can with this current sub.

Any recommendations of the name/type of glue and where to buy it? Home depot?
You could use good quality silicone adhesive, Gorilla Glue, whatever you have access to that remains flexible after curing and is reported to offer a strong bond between dissimilar materials. If you can back the hole with a piece of tape, lay a bead of glue over the tear and smooth it down to cure.
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote