CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
blastkannon

blastkannon is on a distinguished road

3 way and 4 way speaker set up

hello

in the near future i am planning to purchase 2 6x8 3 way speakers, and 2 6x8 4 way speakers. my question is, should the 3 ways go in the front and the 4 ways in the back, or vice versa? all speakers are in the doors (my plan as of right now is to put the 4 ways in the back). i have a 12" sub installed and am looking to be able to max out the highs and mids by replacing the stock speakers, and i would like to have them placed right.

i'm not planning to turn this into a huge project or anything, just want to know what would be the best placement thanks in advance
blastkannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastkannon View Post
hello

in the near future i am planning to purchase 2 6x8 3 way speakers, and 2 6x8 4 way speakers. my question is, should the 3 ways go in the front and the 4 ways in the back, or vice versa? all speakers are in the doors (my plan as of right now is to put the 4 ways in the back). i have a 12" sub installed and am looking to be able to max out the highs and mids by replacing the stock speakers, and i would like to have them placed right.

i'm not planning to turn this into a huge project or anything, just want to know what would be the best placement thanks in advance
The best plan of attack would be to avoid any of the 6x8 oval "3 way" or "4 way" speakers on the market (they tend to be sh*tty) and get yourself a decent pair of 6.5" 2 way component speakers (mid, tweeter, passive crossover) that will fit into the same space with a little work. Properly installed and paired with a simple amplifier, a decent 6.5 component set will sound much better than any of the oval creations on the market and will give you beautiful sounding highs and midrange while playing down into the midbass region where your sub takes over.

What type of vehicle? How much did you want to spend?
basicxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
blastkannon

I drive a 98 ford contour. i've heard that 6.5"s sound better but i am wary of having to do any kind of modding to the doors/speaker wells. i'm not sure how intensive a project like that would be and i don't have a lot of tools to my disposal.

anyway, i am only looking to spend about $200 on 4 new speakers. i understand that hooking them up to an amp will help boost the sound but again, figuring out how to run the wires may be just a little (or actually WAY) over my head... contours are a pain to work with, i am learning.

the brand i was looking at buying was pioneer, but i have also considered polk audio.

what do you think of these?:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5...e_e_ai_BST_t_4

Last edited by blastkannon; 09-05-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
HuckOrris

HuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond reputeHuckOrris has a reputation beyond repute

You might get better sound quality if you dedicate that budget to just some fronts. 4 crappy speakers will never sound as good as 2 good speakers, although they may be a little louder.

Personally, for $200, I would try to find a $100 quality 2 or 4 channel amp, and buy a $100 set of speakers. 15 watts (if that) off a head unit is not enough for me. Your midbass will not be very loud and/or clean.
HuckOrris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

basicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond reputebasicxj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I drive a 98 ford contour. i've heard that 6.5"s sound better but i am wary of having to do any kind of modding to the doors/speaker wells. i'm not sure how intensive a project like that would be and i don't have a lot of tools to my disposal.

anyway, i am only looking to spend about $200 on 4 new speakers. i understand that hooking them up to an amp will help boost the sound but again, figuring out how to run the wires may be just a little (or actually WAY) over my head... contours are a pain to work with, i am learning.

the brand i was looking at buying was pioneer, but i have also considered polk audio.
If you pull the door panels off you'll see a 5x7 or 6x8 opening where the factory speakers mount. The cutout required for most 6.5" speakers is smaller than that, so all you do is cut a piece of thin MDF to cover the original oval hole and make a 5" round cutout (or whatever your chosen speaker requires) in this piece (called a baffle) centered up in the original speaker opening. Screw your MDF baffle in place to the door, then mount your new speakers to the baffle. A non-complicated way to run wires (for lower powered systems) is to run new speaker wires from your amplifier up to the original ones behind your radio and tap into the factory wires feeding the door speakers at that point.

If I had to make a budgetary decision, I would always go with upgraded front speakers plus a modest amp over upgrading rear speakers (they tend to screw with quality sound reproduction anyway). Pioneer makes some decent head units, but until you get into their top of the lne (read really expensive) component sets they tend to be sucky. Polk db series are good entry level comps.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckOrris View Post
You might get better sound quality if you dedicate that budget to just some fronts. 4 crappy speakers will never sound as good as 2 good speakers, although they may be a little louder.

Personally, for $200, I would try to find a $100 quality 2 or 4 channel amp, and buy a $100 set of speakers. 15 watts (if that) off a head unit is not enough for me. Your midbass will not be very loud and/or clean.
^^ Ditto (though that's what I was getting at).

Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Those are a good budget choice, but if your factory locations are low, are likely to get blocked by the driver or passenger's legs I'd spring for the extra and get the db6501 component version and mount the tweeters up higher. Component sets usually have a better quality outboard passive crossover, while coaxials tend to have a simple cap/coil glued to the back of the basket for that purpose.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
blastkannon

okay, thank you for your input, i really appreciate it

Old 09-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #9
only126db

Banned

only126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond reputeonly126db has a reputation beyond repute

There are adapters you can buy to fit 5" component midranges and a tweeter in the 6x8 location, or just a single 6.5" in the 6x8 location and remote mount the tweeter.

http://www.google.com/products?q=6x8...ates&scoring=p
only126db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
MakeItVibrate

MakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond repute

whats even the point of a 4-way speaker? Wouldnt you only really need a 3-way?

btw ive seen ridiculous 8-way speakers at a flea-market.
MakeItVibrate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
basicxj

Registered Spam Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItVibrate View Post
whats even the point of a 4-way speaker? Wouldnt you only really need a 3-way?

btw ive seen ridiculous 8-way speakers at a flea-market.
Considering how good a well executed a simple 2 way front stage plus sub can sound, you don't necessarily want or need a bunch of additional miniature drivers adding their voices to the choir.

A member of another forum's sig: "If you can't get a 2 way right, a 3 way will rape your mother."

The meaning of that sentiment? The more speakers (or in the case of flea market 4-8 way speakers, speaker parts), the more phase relationships you have to work at getting right...most 3/4/8/whatever way budget speakers do not get it right .

Last edited by basicxj; 09-05-2010 at 08:21 PM.