CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Old 09-13-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
wise1103

wise1103 is on a distinguished road

2 12".... kicker cvr's, jl audio w3's, or alpine type r's?

I'm new to car audio so I need help in deciding what subs would be the best because I am on a limited budget and don't want to waste money on crap. if u have other suggestions on 12" subs then let me know. I am open to different ideas. and let me know what amp would also be a good choice for the subs.
wise1103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
joshualittle

joshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond repute

W3's all the way. They'll provide the best sound quality of any of the subs and still have enough output to make you happy.
joshualittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise1103 View Post
I'm new to car audio so I need help in deciding what subs would be the best because I am on a limited budget and don't want to waste money on crap. if u have other suggestions on 12" subs then let me know. I am open to different ideas. and let me know what amp would also be a good choice for the subs.
What's the application? Ported, sealed, rock music, rap, SPL, SQ, etc, etc, etc.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
bluecavi28

bluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond reputebluecavi28 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All those brands can be demoed in alot of local shops. All those subs sound alot different. I'd suggest giving them all a listen then try to find a better deal online when you find the one you like.

My Personal preference is the w3v3 they sound great have plenty of output for most and can be found online cheap great build quality also. The Type R's would be my second pick and IMO this sub is what alot of people are looking for..they are cheap... built realy tough and can sound decent...I have a few Type R 10's I have tried to kill and they just won't quit.

Around where I live people think Kicker subs sound great...I can't tell you how many time people have heard my JL w6v2's,JBL WGTI and especialy my IDQV3 and say they are not loud enough... most people are acustomed to colored sound and distortions and like this sound...kicker subs have alot of colored sound and thats why they have such a big following. Like Jimi77 said let us know what music you listen to and it would also help to let us know what subs you have heard before and what you liked and disliked about the subs you have heard.
bluecavi28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
wise1103

I was thinking that the w3's would be the best choice. and I listen to rap. but also what amp would be decent to push two of those subs? I know jl would be a good choice for an amp but currently that is too expensive for me, so any other suggestions of amps or amp brands to look at?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Jimi77

Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go with the Type R ported for Rap. As for amps: Cadence, Clarion, Soundstream (Rubicon, Reference and Stealth Series).
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
SPL BRONCO II

SPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond reputeSPL BRONCO II has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the pair of Typr R Alpine 12's dual 4 ohms and the Cadence ZRS7000d amp.
SPL BRONCO II is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
joshualittle

joshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond reputejoshualittle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was thinking that the w3's would be the best choice. and I listen to rap. but also what amp would be decent to push two of those subs? I know jl would be a good choice for an amp but currently that is too expensive for me, so any other suggestions of amps or amp brands to look at?
How much do you want to spend on an amp and subs total? and we can go from there. For rap I would say either the type r's or w3's. The w3's of today are different than previous models. The new ones have higher output and power handling. Kicker are ok but don't compare to the jl audios and alpine.
joshualittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Justin1989

Justin1989 is a jewel in the roughJustin1989 is a jewel in the roughJustin1989 is a jewel in the rough

I don't have a lot of experience in all of this, I have heard the Type R's, Rockford P3's, and the CVR's. The cvr's don't run as high in the rms wattage, but depending on the car you have CVR's are by far loud enough in my 2006 grand prix. However again it is all personal preference. My CVR's cost me about $95 each brand new. I also highly disagree when they say the kickers don't compare to the Type R's.
Justin1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #10
MakeItVibrate

MakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond repute

W3s. You wont be disapointed.
MakeItVibrate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
wise1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualittle View Post
How much do you want to spend on an amp and subs total? and we can go from there. For rap I would say either the type r's or w3's. The w3's of today are different than previous models. The new ones have higher output and power handling. Kicker are ok but don't compare to the jl audios and alpine.
I am willing to spend around $500 on the subs and amp because after that I will still need wires a capacitor and a box so I don't want to spend too much on those, I'm just looking for some subs and an amp that will bump and have good quality so I can one up my friends on their Sonys and cheap **** like that.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItVibrate View Post
W3s. You wont be disapointed.
x2

And I wouldn't bother purchasing a crapacitor.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
wise1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
x2

And I wouldn't bother purchasing a crapacitor.
so do the w3's bump pretty loud? cuz i want something that is going to have good spl too not just quality lol

Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
pjhabit

pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so do the w3's bump pretty loud? cuz i want something that is going to have good spl too not just quality lol
My definition of loud might not be the same as yours. I like my hearing, so 2 ported 12w3's is beyond my tolerance. If your just looking to get loud, other woofers can beat it for less.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
MakeItVibrate

MakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond reputeMakeItVibrate has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have 2 12w3s running 1000 watts for the pair and theyre plenty loud.
MakeItVibrate is offline   Reply With Quote