CarAudioForum.com

Go Back   CarAudioForum.com > Discussion Forums > Car Audio: General

Reply
Old 10-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
eb2phkingood

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kansas
Posts: 229
eb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of light



Ported sub box: wood , fiberglass , or plexiglass?

ok so on another thread you guys convinced me to go with a ported box as my sealed box is a little too crisp of bass for my liking. so now id like you input on one of the 4 options:

1) ported wood box covered in carpet or white vinyl (interior of the car is white vinyl as well)

2) fiberglassed ported box covered in white vinyl as well

3) ported plexiglass box COMPLETELY see through with white wires ran into the box to the subs to match the cars theme

4) ported combination. I.E wood box with fiberglass cones. or wood box with plexiglass top ect.

What i am looking for: the bass to be a bit louder and drag on a little more than it does with a sealed box, so ported should take care of that, however im not sure if one is louder than the other between fiberglass plexi wood ect. if it were based on looks alone i would either go with a complete ported wood box covered in vinyl or the see through plexi. price is not an issue, just realized my box is lame and lacking. thanks! -n00b
eb2phkingood is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Help Syrian Refugees Survive. Donate Now!
Or text REFUGEES to 50555 to give $10 to USA for UNHCR
Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
redwrangler

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 811
redwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond reputeredwrangler has a reputation beyond repute



A wood box covered in vinyl or carpet would be the easiest. Fiberglass boxes take some time and are messy. I'd just stick with wood unless you need to follow a particular contour of paneling or something
redwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Stangman67

Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle,Wa
Posts: 3,597
Stangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond reputeStangman67 has a reputation beyond repute



Fiberglass isn't great for getting loud. Stick to a standard wood box with carpeting.
Stangman67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
eb2phkingood

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kansas
Posts: 229
eb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of light



Quote:
Originally Posted by redwrangler View Post
A wood box covered in vinyl or carpet would be the easiest. Fiberglass boxes take some time and are messy. I'd just stick with wood unless you need to follow a particular contour of paneling or something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachfeen View Post
Fiberglass isn't great for getting loud. Stick to a standard wood box with carpeting.
so lets say i go with wood. should i run the 2 big rectangle ports? or 2 small circle tube ports? maybe 4 circle tube ports? what do you guys recommend?
eb2phkingood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
pjhabit

Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,555
pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute



Somehow I don't see Type R's as having "too crisp of bass". Nevertheless the R's are at home in a ported box. Just use whatever type of port that gets you enough port area to not cause turbulent noise & is of reasonable length to get your tuning...box building software like WinISD is great for this. You might also go through a few different enclosures before you 'get it right' so I'd stick w/ MDF for the time being. And I still say you'll see improvements optimizing the other areas of your install...as the old adage goes, 90% install - 10% equipment.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
bumba000

Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 350
bumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these partsbumba000 is infamous around these parts



^^ agreed unless they were underpowered and seriously choked in a 'way to the fawck small' of a box.

Fiberglass is going to resonate at a much higher frequency = same problem
Plexy glass = lower freq but your looking at a 1\2in thick plexy panels which you have to special order....

Wood has a much lower freq response in comparison to the others.

I like the 'slotted' port to me its easier to tune. Your best bet would be to contact JL or whoever subs you go with and ask them what they recommend 'talk to a tech' and say I like music blah blah. what do i want to do to get the audio I want.

They will tell you how many cubes to make the box as well as port length and such for a given freq
bumba000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 05:48 AM   #7
eb2phkingood

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: kansas
Posts: 229
eb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of lighteb2phkingood is a glorious beacon of light



Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
Somehow I don't see Type R's as having "too crisp of bass". Nevertheless the R's are at home in a ported box. Just use whatever type of port that gets you enough port area to not cause turbulent noise & is of reasonable length to get your tuning...box building software like WinISD is great for this. You might also go through a few different enclosures before you 'get it right' so I'd stick w/ MDF for the time being. And I still say you'll see improvements optimizing the other areas of your install...as the old adage goes, 90% install - 10% equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumba000 View Post
^^ agreed unless they were underpowered and seriously choked in a 'way to the fawck small' of a box.

Fiberglass is going to resonate at a much higher frequency = same problem
Plexy glass = lower freq but your looking at a 1\2in thick plexy panels which you have to special order....

Wood has a much lower freq response in comparison to the others.

I like the 'slotted' port to me its easier to tune. Your best bet would be to contact JL or whoever subs you go with and ask them what they recommend 'talk to a tech' and say I like music blah blah. what do i want to do to get the audio I want.

They will tell you how many cubes to make the box as well as port length and such for a given freq
well we have a local place here that specializes in plexiglass and glass and plastic. he has 1/2 and 3/4 plexi in stock. the subs are powered with a alpine m1000 with wires 1 size overkill than how big they need to be, and the box is 1.1cu per sub sealed. so yea i think ill take your advice and call up alpine and see what they can give me as far as info goes, i never really thought about doing that. so thank you, i really appreciate it. i guess ill ask them between wood and plexi also, if you guys had a chance to get 1/2 or 3/4 inch plexi would you still go with wood?
eb2phkingood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
pjhabit

Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,555
pjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond reputepjhabit has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2phkingood View Post
well we have a local place here that specializes in plexiglass and glass and plastic. he has 1/2 and 3/4 plexi in stock. the subs are powered with a alpine m1000 with wires 1 size overkill than how big they need to be, and the box is 1.1cu per sub sealed. so yea i think ill take your advice and call up alpine and see what they can give me as far as info goes, i never really thought about doing that. so thank you, i really appreciate it. i guess ill ask them between wood and plexi also, if you guys had a chance to get 1/2 or 3/4 inch plexi would you still go with wood?
I'd still use wood...but vanity isn't higher on my list then performance.

What size & model Type R's do you have? Alpine seems to recommend their enclosures on the small side.
pjhabit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
tundro6

Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: oilfield
Posts: 1,943
tundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2phkingood View Post
well we have a local place here that specializes in plexiglass and glass and plastic. he has 1/2 and 3/4 plexi in stock. the subs are powered with a alpine m1000 with wires 1 size overkill than how big they need to be, and the box is 1.1cu per sub sealed. so yea i think ill take your advice and call up alpine and see what they can give me as far as info goes, i never really thought about doing that. so thank you, i really appreciate it. i guess ill ask them between wood and plexi also, if you guys had a chance to get 1/2 or 3/4 inch plexi would you still go with wood?
plexi IS cool but is unforgiving.... if you do good on the wood build THEN try your luck at plexiglass...
tundro6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Jimi77

Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 24,700
Jimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond reputeJimi77 has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by bumba000 View Post

I like the 'slotted' port to me its easier to tune.
Please elaborate on how you're tuning slotted ports. I've been suggesting PRs because they can be tuned, but it's pretty difficult to tune a slot port and you can only tune down.
Jimi77 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
tundro6

Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: oilfield
Posts: 1,943
tundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond reputetundro6 has a reputation beyond repute



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi77 View Post
Please elaborate on how you're tuning slotted ports. I've been suggesting PRs because they can be tuned, but it's pretty difficult to tune a slot port and you can only tune down.
I LOVE passive radiators.... just sayin-
tundro6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright © 2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1996 - 2011 by CarAudioForum.com - all rights reserved.